Author Topic: Best Opening Cinematic  (Read 21507 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Best Opening Cinematic
Simple enough. Nominate yours. If you can actually track it down via YouTube or similar all the better.

Mine goes to MechCommander.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Nova cats. ::) Mine goes for Metal Gear Solid 3. :yes: And it will definitely be replaced by the intro of MGS4 when it arrives. :nod:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Warcraft 3 possibly, it was certainly one that made my jaw drop, but not as much as Diablo's did at the time....

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
psshh. Noobs.

FS1 & 2 ftw.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oddly enough, I actually originally typed 'In before someone says Freespace' but decided against it :nervous:

You know, I didn't care for the actual game that much, but the Cinematic Opening to Diablo 2 is pretty tough to beat

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Couldn't find the intro, but some choice moments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybHAb0VoFT4

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The opening cinematics from Starcraft, Diablo II, Warcraft II and Warcraft III [with their respective expansions] all come to mind. Pretty much any Blizzard cinematic, really. Which i'm sure we can all agree upon.

Relic's work has also been quite good as of late. The animatics from Homeworld2 were quite excellent. Although Homeworld1's have most certainly not aged very well at all. Further, the opening sequence for Dawn of War would without a doubt be one of the most intese opening sequences i've ever seen in a game. The only downside is that it was the only goddamned cinematic in the entire goddamned game!

The Star- and Freelancer opening sequences also come to mind, especially the latter. Nothing quite beats seeing those Coalition Carriers coming appearing in Europa's orbit and opening up with those excellent looking & sounding cannons mounted on the bow. A great moment in sci-fi oriented gaming.

Fable isn't all that bad, either. The slow montage of footage from the Great Hall with the nice music is most definintely a great way to start the game.

The Battlefield series, most notably Battlefield 1942, also have excellent opening cinematics. The '42 one might not look as spectacular nowadays, but back when it first came out, it was unbe-****ing-lievable.

Dungeon Siege II also had a rather fun opening sequence. Not all that great a game, but those first few minutes were quite excellent.

Fahrenheit, which I just bought yesterday, must also get an honourable mention. It's not a flashy intro, in fact the graphics are rather substandard for the time in areas. But it's the artistic integrity of the sequence that just makes it so awesome. The slow zoom on Lucas covered by the shadows of moving clouds, all on the expanding band of footage with a background of falling petals just looks plain beautiful any way you look at it.

And finally, let's not forget Freespace and Freespace 2. While the Battle of Deneb is unquestionably awesome, i'm going to have to say the opening for Freespace 1 is the better of the two.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:47:04 pm by Mefustae »

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Further, the opening sequence for Dawn of War would without a doubt be one of the most intese opening sequences i've ever seen in a game. The only downside is that it was the only goddamned cinematic in the entire goddamned game!

The Star- and Freelancer opening sequences also come to mind, especially the latter. Nothing quite beats seeing those Coalition Carriers coming appearing in Europa's orbit and opening up with those excellent looking & sounding cannons mounted on the bow. A great moment in sci-fi oriented gaming.

Another downside to the DOW intro, the fact that Relic puts it in Winter Assault and even the demos. The Freelance intro is really good too. Do you know if there is even an image of those Coalition Carriers? I'd kill for that. :P

Offline Shade

I'd have to go with the Star Craft: Brood War intro. Might not be as pretty graphically these days, but I don't care. Because it rocks anyway.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
"Where's the air support?!" :D

Yeah I wish Winter Assault had its own intro.  We can still hope for the next...

I'll say MechWarrior 3 was up there too.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm76b8tzzWI  But I like the style of the campaign beginning cutscene even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZvYwmgCHc .  The style was very different and immersive... you see the action from various external cameras with all sorts of battle chatter going on as the dren hits the fan.  zzzzt "What are we looking at?  Can someone redirect the probe?"  For some reason I particularly like battle chatter when it's done right. :)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
FS1 :D

Seeing a Luci dead ahead from inside the Apollo's cockpit... ><
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline starfox

Dawn of War
Freespace 1 *The hour of Lucifer....* :P
I-War II
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
My top eight:

1. I-War 1.
No question, this beats them all hands down. 13 good, quality minutes of space battles galore FTW! That, and it really sets the mood for the rest of the game.

2. Freespace 1.
Does anytihng need to be said?

3. Warcraft III
4. Freespace 2
5. Mechwarrior 3 - you gotta love that Mech fight. The animation quality was top notch, even though the models and rest doesnt come up to par with the stuff noawadays
6. Battlefield 1942 - blew me away the first time I saw it
7. EVE-online. The intro cinematic was pretty well made for the time, and having in-game stuff was an added bonus, too. :D
8. WH40k Dawn of War Intro

Honorable mentions:
Cruisader: No Regret
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Close between Freelancer and Wing commander games.........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Quake 2 Intro

*Earth spaceship launches marines in drop pods down onto the surface of the Strogg homeworld*
*Private Bitterman's drop pod gets clipped on the way in and falls away from the rest of the group*

Asshole: YEEHAW!
Bitterman: ****! What was that?!
Bitterman: Command, I got a problem here. Some cowboy clipped me on the way in, and thrusters are fifty percent and dropping...

*Bitterman circles the Big Gun as the platoon scream and get wiped out by Strogg defences*

Command: Damnit! We got a little freaky EMP down there. Getting clipped just saved your ass, marine! I just lost all readings from the rest of the platoon! Try and get to the primary LZ and rendezvous with any other squad leaders you can find!

*Bitterman's thrusters suddenly burst into life and he overshoots the primary LZ (Big Gun) by a huge margin*

Bitterman: ****!

Awesome.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I love Wing Commander 3/4 Cinematics. Excellent combination of live acting and cgi effects/backgrounds. Freelancer's also got a flashy intro (the original version, not that rubbish, that was shipped with the game)

Wing Commander 3 Movie

Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
(the original version, not that rubbish, that was shipped with the game)
What do you mean, got a linky?

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png