Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 69590 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Um, it seems that all the files can be opened by 7-Zip...

I've found this site, as well as an e-mail account. I've no luck opening the application on Windows XP either, so I'm testing my luck with the e-mail account I found there...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:43:54 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Does anyone know where to dl the infamous "alltech.zip" from Warzone 2100, that basically unlocks the entire tech tree from the get go? I've been searching, and I just can't find it anywhere.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think I've found a lead that might help me run Fire Fight. Hey, Stormkeeper, if you want to try running Fire Fight, try searching the Technical Help section of the HoTU forum for Fire Fight.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Nothing.... Kinda irritating.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Did you find this?

I think I've done it! I used WinRAR to unpack all the AR files at once. I ran into a problem with MPLAYER.EXE, but that's okay.

Next, I used PowerISO to create a CD Image, then mount the image using DAEMON Tools.

It seems that I made a mistake when creating the image, because all the core files were placed in an unneeded subfolder, causing autorun to fail, so I ran FFSTART manually, and I got in! :D

I'll make another CD Image and upload it to my Cloud.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:31:08 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
warzone was once produced by sold out in the united kingdom, i am absoutly certain it had a patch and that alltech zip file your talking about stormkeeper.

Edit: all tech was on the disk as suspected...
please scan it as soon as you have it, i dont want to be responsible for a virus or spyware problem :).

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:47:44 am by Al Tarket »
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

games I would like to revisit are:

C&C 1 or Red Alert
Primal clickfest fun,very imbalanced, no one uses allies in mp if memory serves me right, epic tank battle(literally there can be hundreds of tanks on screen), plus crystal-clear unit voices that were pretty rare in RTS games at that time. With 320x200 resolution in DOS, a mammoth takes up to 1/4 of the screen lol

Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2
Very innovative RTT or FPS combo, too bad it doesn't work very stably on 32bit windows, hopefully there will be a fan-made patch to rectify that problem.

System Shock 2 coop
It's not for faint-hearted like me in single player mode, but with buddies backing you up, suddenly the zombie stalkers becomes prey.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I've uploaded the Fire Fight image here. It should work, because I've patched it to v1.2 and am using it to play Fire Fight.

While waiting for it to upload, I also played Terminal Velocity. Fun game, but repetitive. :blah:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Davros

Just picked up "House of the Dead 2" and "The Thing", anyone played these? If so any hints/tips/recommendations etc.?

EDIT....Oh yeah I also picked up "Bet on Soldier" the other day! Anyone played that?

the thing rocks but im getting white patches on screen with the latest nvidia drivers

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Just picked up "House of the Dead 2" and "The Thing", anyone played these? If so any hints/tips/recommendations etc.?

EDIT....Oh yeah I also picked up "Bet on Soldier" the other day! Anyone played that?

the thing rocks but im getting white patches on screen with the latest nvidia drivers

I installed it last night but it wouldn't load for some reason, just got the "Sold Out" loading screen then CTD!  :confused:

Gonna try it on my laptop tonight!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I finished cheating on Fire Fight. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I dusted off Operation Flashpoint and just had a look through my old download cds..  Man...............

I forgot how cool this is.

I HIGHLY reccommend Operation Firelord (http://www.opflashpoint.org/missions.php?v=29 ) Brilliant psychic trooper supersoldier stuff....

And i believe you can find the game for the bargain proce of £2 - £5 in pc world nowadays...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yes! Thanks AE! It works like a charm. It was even playing music of the Fort Minor disc in the disc drive.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yes! Thanks AE! It works like a charm. It was even playing music of the Fort Minor disc in the disc drive.

:eek2:

Really? Perhaps mounting the image doesn't work wonders for the music then.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I posted a solution in the "Whatever happens in your life" thread.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
C&C 1 or Red Alert
Primal clickfest fun,very imbalanced, no one uses allies in mp if memory serves me right, epic tank battle(literally there can be hundreds of tanks on screen), plus crystal-clear unit voices that were pretty rare in RTS games at that time. With 320x200 resolution in DOS, a mammoth takes up to 1/4 of the screen lol

C&C1 was pretty well balanced. The recon bike could have been nerfed a bit, but that was the only issue I remember. RA on the other hand had terrible unit and side balance, especially after the Aftermath expansion came out. People did use Allies, but mainly for doing light tank rushes since those were fast enough to avoid most kinds of enemy fire while moving.

I spent many years playing RA1 mainly because it was a great mod platform back then. In fact, I was just playing the game last night with my brother over a serial link, using my old Future Wars mod. It's somewhat unstable on modern computers but works fine on old ones.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Searching for Starseige, by Dynamix. It was the other mecha game I loved.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
MOTHER OF-

Classic if there ever was one. I've never played it :p

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
what starseige or gta 2?

i never heard of the former however i have played the latter, a lot of fun driving a bus off a bridge and letting it explode at the bottom crushing other cars and letting them explode :lol:, i also like find a small 4x4 square of water and driving my vehecle over the gap and getting acroos the otherside without falling in or actually getting a bus into that mall 4x4 water square, was funny :mad2:
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.