Author Topic: OS X FS2_Open Launcher  (Read 19118 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: OS X FS2_Open Launcher
Ah, the question I was actually trying to ask was does it have built-in Firewire, 256MB/+ of RAM, Apple-supplied video card, 3Gigs of HD space on the partition, and perhaps a DVD drive?

EDIT: and is it a Power Mac G3?  IIRC, there are non-Power Mac versions of the G3... not sure though.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Gak!  I just looked up the price for upgrading OS X 10.3 > 10.4 .. ~$130!!  They're as bad as Micro$oft!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
They're as bad as Micro$oft!

Ahhhh... the sweet sound of truth...
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
jr2, the one I'm running it on is a PowerMac G3, but it's a pre-firewire version, being beige and all.    It's not officially support by Apple to run anything beyond 10.2, but with XPostFacto I was able to get it running 10.3.  XPostFacto doesn't even claim 10.4 will work on it even with it's help, but I'm going to try anyway I suppose.  Can't hurt anything.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Ah, the question I was actually trying to ask was does it have built-in Firewire, 256MB/+ of RAM, Apple-supplied video card, 3Gigs of HD space on the partition, and perhaps a DVD drive?

EDIT: and is it a Power Mac G3?  IIRC, there are non-Power Mac versions of the G3... not sure though.

It has a DVD drive, 256mbytes RAM by default (I have put 1 GByte), ATI Rage 128 (I have put an ATI Radeon), 6Gigs HDD.

All G3 machines are powermacs. There is no 'plai' G3.
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Except for the laptops.  And maybe some clones.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
How does one set up the network settings using this launcher? There's no 'network' tab. :(
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

so, what happend to this project?
all the links are dead, and i could REALLY use this OS X Launcher... :D

thanks.

Offline Soulstorm

The project is alive. However, I should give some more info. First of all, the links are back online. Thanks for the heads up.

The project started as an exercise, really, and from devotion to the FS2_Open project. I made the first launcher for os x, updated it, and now, the 2.0.1 version is the latest version with support for standalone mods.

If you have any bug report, or request, you can contact me and tell me what you think this application needs. I always listen to recommendations, however real life (and the need to finish my university at a logic time) is sucking my time like a cleaning vacuum... So although every recommendation will be taken into serious account for the launcher, only the most important needs will be fulfilled at the moment. So recommendations like:

-- A new standalone mod to be added
-- A bug to be fixed
-- A new option to be added

will most likely get added into one or two days after request (unless it needs hard work, but I will begin that work at the moment I receive the request).

The old links are back online, and now you can download the application from both Turey's installer and here.

Also, I have already given the link to the latest version of the FS2_Launcher source. I would upload it to CVS, but I'm having problem with it. If anyone is an FS2_Open Developer and wants to update the application at a time I am unavailable, here is the link to the source. Password is available after pm.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:01:55 am by Soulstorm »

Offline Soulstorm

Since people are asking about the Launcher, I should give an update.

For basic updates, check the previews post for more information.

However, I came across an idea that would require me to rewrite the whole application from the start... again. But this time, the application will be more flexible. The newest version of the Launcher will allow the user to add and delete his own configurations of standalone mods. Also, several new things for developers will be added.

However, that will require a complete rewrite of the application, something I don't have the time to do now. This month my Uni exams are coming, and I have a LOT of stuff to read if I am to finish this Uni in the next 2 years :) . After that update, it should be very easy for maintainers to add things and new mod support to the Launcher. Actually, the addition of a new standalone mod will be a matter of 3 more lines of code. As it is now, it's much more difficult to do such a thing. I had this idea from the start, but I got careless in my efforts to develop something quickly in favor of learning other OS X technologies.

Anyway, a cool major update is coming, but NOT soon, so you will still need to send me bug reports for version 2.