Author Topic: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2.x development notes  (Read 17384 times)

Offline Echelon9

Re: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2 development notes
Updated to reflect initial testing results of the Valgrind 10.6 patch.

Offline Echelon9

Re: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2.1 development notes
Updated to reflect GCC 4.2 is now compatible with Xcode 3.2.1 in certain configurations.

Offline Echelon9

Re: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2 development notes
  • By default, Xcode 3.2 (the latest version of Apple's development IDE) uses GCC 4.2 as compiler. This changes leads to numerous "deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'" errors, plus a few others.
  • The more complete solution to see the FS2_Open codebase comply with this new GCC 4.2 requirement will take some careful commits to ensure we don't break things cross platform.
That one is known... chief forwarded a (massive) patch to me put together to fix this problem, however it was done against a trunk that was wayyy out of date (don't worry folks, we haven't forgotten!)
Do you still have a copy of this patch portej05/chief1983? I'd like to work on it as free time arises.

Offline Echelon9

Re: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2.1 development notes
Updated to reflect the current state of OpenGL on Mac OS X with the new unified shader code.

Offline Echelon9

Re: Snow Leopard and Xcode 3.2.x development notes
Big update to reflect the fixes with Xcode 3.2.2 and OS X 10.6.3, and that trunk versions of valgrind now build on Snow Leopard.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
GLSL seems to be working with no slowdowns, but there is one strange thing I've found...

In GLSL mode, ships don't disappear as they pass through the subspace vortex warping out :wtf:

Offline Echelon9

GLSL seems to be working with no slowdowns, but there is one strange thing I've found...

In GLSL mode, ships don't disappear as they pass through the subspace vortex warping out :wtf:
Yes, Mac OS X 10.6.3 has seen big improvements in OpenGL performance from my testing too.

A couple of issues still remain though:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:04:31 am by Echelon9 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Blowfish, I think that's been a bug on all platforms, not just OS X.  But it's good to hear that GLSL performance has been substantially improved.  In fact that's great f***ing news.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline blowfish

Blowfish, I think that's been a bug on all platforms, not just OS X.

Okay, that's good to hear ... I just assumed that it was probably mac-specific because I hadn't ever heard it mentioned...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
1866  Pretty sure there have been reports of this on Windows, even if not 100% of the time.  May be chipset related?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline neoterran

Oh I'm so psyched. It was pretty much unplayable for me with GLSL for almost 2 years, so thank god we finally got some love.

Looks real good, and framerate rocks.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Probably need to clean up some Mantis issues.  And maybe need to tweak the project file.  Are we going to need multiple setups now?  One for Xcode on 10.5 and one for Xcode on 10.6, so we can take advantage of all the stuff in Xcode 3.2.2 that works now?

Offline blowfish

I haven't been able to compile under the 10.6 SDK, so I think it's just 10.5 for now.

Also one thing I should probably mention - the ogg framework is out of date.  I belive Goober updated the windows library for the DEM Interlude release, but Mac builds use a different framework, which crashes when trying to open a cutscene in that campaign.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I believe I remember this being brought up already.  Be nice to get it patched into the Frameworks file, otherwise we could just wait until the unified one we're planning for Windows/OSX.

Offline Echelon9

Probably need to clean up some Mantis issues.  And maybe need to tweak the project file.  Are we going to need multiple setups now?  One for Xcode on 10.5 and one for Xcode on 10.6, so we can take advantage of all the stuff in Xcode 3.2.2 that works now?
I've been examining the merits of having two separate Xcode project files for a little while; one the current and one that employs the latest and greatest (as Visual Studio project files have done for VS2005, 2008 and 2010). You may not realise, but the current Xcode project file is still in an old 2.x format.

I'd want to make sure there are real differentiators between the two that could be unleashed, so a bit more testing is needed. But watch this space...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, I definitely realized that Echelon :)

Would love to have a dedicated 3.2.2+ project file, and one we could just use on 10.5 and 3.1.x.  Although I'm not sure how maintained the latter would stay.  I know I can't.

I've compiled and have been running for a while now a 64 bit/10.6 version of FS2 (version 3.6.11). If anyone would like to try it, I've uploaded a copy here; http://www.mediafire.com/file/imc3gmh4nyj/FS2 3.6.11 x86_64.zip

Offline blowfish

Wow ... my understanding was that 64 bit would not compile on any platform ... how did you get it to work?

I only had to modify for deprecation, change a couple of lines for 64-bitness, and compile. Quite simple. It consumed about 10 minutes of time.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
More interesting to me is, which trunk revision is this? Can you upload a .patch or diff of your changes?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns