Author Topic: 64 bit binary?  (Read 8841 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Currently running linux mint 9 64 bit.

I currently have the linux 3.6.12 binary, and everything all set up and ready to go, but 64 bit was an after thought in this case for me.

I'm not going to compile source code. What's the situation on a 64 bit executable? And is there any way to get the currently provided linux binary to run on a 64 bit platform (i'm guessing would have to do with importing 32 bit libraries)?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
it should run right off the bat if you got the precompiled binary. did you make a run script for it, and if so, can you post it here and any error output it might punt out when running it?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I did not make a run script for it. I normally configure the game via wine with the windows launcher (except resolution and color depth, but that's via .fs2_open/fs2_open.ini). After that i run the linux executable directly.

I already created an .fs2_open directory with the fs2_open.ini file too.

Anyway, here's the error message when i try to run the game.

./fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_r: error while loading shared libraries: libtheora.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
get 32-bit libraries in then (the same as you'd get for building yer own build, check wiki for that) and make a launch script by hand. its not that hard.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah you must be missing libtheora, that or a version bump changed the filename.  But these were built on Ubuntu.  You may need 32bit libraries even if you installed the 64bit ones already.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I had a feeling it was about a missing 32 bit library on a 64 bit install. I used getlibs from here with information about it from here.

Good program that's kept up to date and got really popular with ubuntu and debian users. It's sole use is for installing 32 bit libraries and programs and put the files in the right places on 64 bit installations of ubuntu and debian. It does the same thing for a 32 bit installation, except only 32 bit stuff (no point on using this program on 32 bit).

It got rid of any ****edupness that may have happened if i did a force install of the 32 bit version of libtheora0 with apt (plus would have grabbed a bunch of 32 bit dependencies for libtheora0 that i don't need). Installation of 32 bit libtheora0 via getlibs solved the problem and i can play. Really i came here for confirmation since i've never installed 32 bit libraries on 64 bit linux before.
make a launch script by hand. its not that hard.
Right, except that THERE'S NOT A SINGLE REASON I NEED TO.

1. You can configure all scp parameters and flags with the windows launcher under linux via wine just fine (with the exception of resolution and color depth that you do in the .fs2_open folder). After the windows launcher configured everything, you just run the linux binary directly.

2. The launcher does this nice thing which creates a configuration file called launcher6.ini. That file holds all of your flag settings. So why exactly make an fs2 launch script when all i need is launcher6.ini? Making a launch script for fs2 in linux is made pointless because of this, and it's not like i can't simply edit launcher6.ini to the same effect as a launch script either. It's also much easier to generate launcher6.ini via the launcher than it is to make a launch script. Heck, i could use the launcher to generate a launcher6.ini that i could rip the guts out of and then make a launch script for fs2...but yet again, i don't need to.

3. I no longer maintain a launch script for fs2 in linux is because is at the end of the day i got fs2 up and running faster and easier than you did in linux.

SMBFD

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I had a feeling it was about a missing 32 bit library on a 64 bit install. I used getlibs from here with information about it from here.

Good program that's kept up to date and got really popular with ubuntu and debian users. It's sole use is for installing 32 bit libraries and programs and put the files in the right places on 64 bit installations of ubuntu and debian. It does the same thing for a 32 bit installation, except only 32 bit stuff (no point on using this program on 32 bit).

It got rid of any ****edupness that may have happened if i did a force install of the 32 bit version of libtheora0 with apt (plus would have grabbed a bunch of 32 bit dependencies for libtheora0 that i don't need). Installation of 32 bit libtheora0 via getlibs solved the problem and i can play. Really i came here for confirmation since i've never installed 32 bit libraries on 64 bit linux before.
make a launch script by hand. its not that hard.
Right, except that THERE'S NOT A SINGLE REASON I NEED TO.

1. You can configure all scp parameters and flags with the windows launcher under linux via wine just fine (with the exception of resolution and color depth that you do in the .fs2_open folder). After the windows launcher configured everything, you just run the linux binary directly.

2. The launcher does this nice thing which creates a configuration file called launcher6.ini. That file holds all of your flag settings. So why exactly make an fs2 launch script when all i need is launcher6.ini? Making a launch script for fs2 in linux is made pointless because of this, and it's not like i can't simply edit launcher6.ini to the same effect as a launch script either. It's also much easier to generate launcher6.ini via the launcher than it is to make a launch script. Heck, i could use the launcher to generate a launcher6.ini that i could rip the guts out of and then make a launch script for fs2...but yet again, i don't need to.

3. I no longer maintain a launch script for fs2 in linux is because is at the end of the day i got fs2 up and running faster and easier than you did in linux.
at point 3, that is total and utter bull****.

and overall, do not condescend me. if you knew that there might be problems with libs, why didnt you in your great all-knowingness DO IT YOURSELF BEFORE ASKING?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hey guys can we all chill it?  Don't make me get out a Masterlock.

S-99, Wine isn't exactly a piece of cake to get going sometimes.  If you've never used it before, I guarantee it's not faster to get the Windows launcher running in Linux than it is to write a startup script.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
if you knew that there might be problems with libs, why didnt you in your great all-knowingness DO IT YOURSELF BEFORE ASKING?
I didn't ask you how to do it, i had a feeling of what it might be and came in here to ask if that was the case so i don't go on my own goose chase. Gaining confirmation from somebody to head them in the right direction because they weren't sure about something is a smart move. I also spilled the beans on how i did it, and why i did it that way for importing a 32 bit library for anyone else who runs 64 bit debian or ubuntu.

Telling me to make a script and that it's not hard is where i started pulling some tude. Sorry about that. Messing around with wine isn't that hard, and it gets the job done fantastic. I'll be a cross platform launcher user when it gets finished for sure in the future. The whole community can use just the one and only cross platform launcher and the windows and osx only launchers will be a thing of the past (unlikely to happen sadly). I also like the launcher way of doing things, so i'm going to use the best damn launcher for fs2 at the moment. At the same time, i configure and mess around with fs2 in very nearly the same fashion as someone in windows would (and i have the fso 3.6.12 windows binaries as well, and i get to use the same launcher with them on a windows box). I don't like to have to change things around too much if i really don't have or want too, and fs2 in linux is one of these cases. The other reason i use the windows launcher in linux is because we don't tell people running windows around here to make a launch script, it's not that hard.

I'd bother to write a tutorial how to run the windows launcher under linux around here, but there's a few reasons i don't.

Wine is difficult for people (overstated given how great the launcher works in wine and how not difficult it was to make work, and that's all people would be coming here to use wine for).
Making a startup script is faster and not that hard (fine but why don't we tell people who run windows the same).
Foff let's ignore this, it's not important. Equivalent to this is ludicrous, why would anyone do this (ok, but i still find the launcher to be more friendly and easier to use in the long run, why not help others who don't want to change the way they prepare the game in linux as they did in windows, or simply those who dual boot)?

There would be no gain, and no loss. Which means no point; a tutorial no one reads.

Again...
Why even bother with a startup script? Launcher6.ini does the same job, just tell people how to make one of them in the least instead. That would be the truly cross platform thing to recommend those who play fs2 in any operating system since it will work in all operating systems only difference being executables for different operating systems.

SMBFD

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You're right in that the cross platform launcher should be making everyone's lives easier, but with the scripts and tips already on the wiki for manual set up on linux, it's still not that easy to get going if you've not used Wine before.

Also, people do sometimes use Wine to run the full windows FSO builds too :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Why even bother with a startup script?
To get a game up in seconds, instead of running around tuning stuff all over the place.

Code: [Select]
SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'USB HID v1.10 Joystick' 4 1 0"

cp /home/cas/.fs2_open/fs2_open_hi.ini /home/cas/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini
cp -r /home/cas/.fs2_open/data/players /home/cas/.fs2_open/data/players_bup

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

nvidia-settings --config=~/.nvidia-settings-rc-hi --load-config-only

cd /media/data/game/FreeSpace2
xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 8 7 2 9 10 11 12'
#xmodmap -display $DISPLAY -e "pointer = 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 51 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"

./fs2_open_r -mod mediavps  -env -normal -nomotiondebris -spec -glow -mipmap -snd_preload -fps -fov 0.65 -spec_exp 7.0 -spec_tube 5.0 -spec_point 8.6 -spec_static 3.0 -ambient_factor 80
#
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

#xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7 10"
#xmodmap -e "pointer = default"

(some stuff there is outdated etc, but you get the drift)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Why even bother with a startup script?
To get a game up in seconds, instead of running around tuning stuff all over the place.

If he's got the launcher working, then he can get a game up in seconds anyway. And it's probably easier to tune stuff with the launcher, too.

Offline ni1s

It's probably easier to compile a 64bit binary yourself then dealing with multilib stuff. Apparently Mint rebase of Debian so the development packages are probably the same. See Linux guide on the wiki.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken