Author Topic: Corridor/on rail missions  (Read 8544 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Corridor/on rail missions
well, lets put it this way, it's a good thing we decided to have one executable with all the features rather than all mods using there own, yes?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't disagree with that. Forking the code would be a very bad idea.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Roanoke

Modellers have been revealing their secrets to new guys for years.

No one here is keeping secrets. I'm sure if someone had a 90% working on-rails mode of their own and were stuck Wanderer would help them fix it if they asked him. There's a difference between asking for help and simply sticking out your hand and demanding stuff for the good of the community though.

Wouldn't it be good for the community if BWO, Inferno and MT gave us all their mods? Lots of campaigns could use their ships. Some campaigns may even require a specific class like BWO's superbombers or Inferno's supercaps before they can even get started. So you can make the same argument for ship mods you can make for scripts. Why does no one demand that they release mods for the good of the community?

I meant more along the lines of giving advice, making tuts/walkthroughs etc rather than releasing actual finished items

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh I agree that more of that for scripting would be nice. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
theres enough basic tutorials out there to get people started in scripting. when we have 20 or so scripters demanding advanced tutorials, im sure we could throw some together. :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
:bump:

It appears that neither method works - providing all on a silver plate or showing what can be done... That is i haven't seen huge influx of new scripters recently, So I post the thing's functional version here. Granted that SoL wants to have something new in its release and well.. This script's upgraded version is most likely part of that. The script has references for certain models but that shouldn't matter.

No guarantees of functionality. Tempering with dampening values may have catastrophic consequences. If you test it... Place the player ship into the 0,0,0

Script doesn't access or write anything on the hard drive but i still wont guarantee that it wont (i) eat your computer, (ii) eat you or, (iii) detonate. Only HEAD branch builds.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heres a thought. rather than control the ship directly, why not make the ship follow a point in space. youd need to intercept Physics.VelocityDesired and Physics.RotationalVelocityDesired. get their values and zero them out. use that data to move a virtual wapoint around within the rail. also make sure that point is ahead of the the ship on the rail. you could do some trig to determine what heading and inclinateion that point is at in relation to the ship, and change the desired velocity accordingly. you could probibly control the roll directly or script it to autolevel, which would be more like starfox. if that dont work you can tweak the .Velocity and .RotationalVelocity instead but youd have to do all the damping calculations in script.

are you using my build?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
No.. I'm using turey's build which provides access to asteroids, waypoints, waypointlists and debris via scripts.

And as for dampening.. Most of those are there to cause delay in the camera. So that camera wont be following the ship lightning fast but takes a small while to reach the ship. So they are rather simple iterations. And as for the VelocityDesired stuff... I tried that earlier.. They cant really be used.

Offline Roanoke

My PC died not long after I expressed an interest and replacing it isn't a priority for me at the moment  :blah:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I posted the same thing into the wiki as well... The version in wiki has properly aligned targeting aids.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Script_-_Corridor_Mode