Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 165983 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
Daedalus Base

I require more info :nod:

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline crizza

Daedalus Base

Hm, untill now I guess we did not have a name for that huge antimatter farm of the UEF in solar orbit...
But if this base is fated to end like it's namesake...I want to see the vig boom in a vid like sunglare^^
Edit: Wait...I think I mix this up with Ikarus...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I can't remember hearing a solitary bugget about a  Solar Antimatter farm.

Was it a tech-room blab?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Techroom entries for all the UEF bombs and capship torpedoes. In short, Mercury has huge anti-matter factories that have been running for decades, and hence the UEF has masses of unused anti-matter for their boomite.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Daedalus Base is a station in solar orbit that is producing the majority of the antimatter used in UEF weaponry. It's a giant particle accelerator, heavily shielded against solar heat while at the same time using some of that energy to power itself. Capturing it intact is a major goal for the GTVA, however this task is nearly impossible due to the tightly restricted access and its well-secured location. The problem for any invader is that if your jump calculations are even a little off, you will find yourself outside Daedalus' shadow, which is immediately followed by catastrophic hull failures as the Sun burns away the Armor. And even if you do get the jump right, you're still facing a LOT of torpedo launchers primed and targeted at you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

With realistic option I didn't mean wether it's possible. I meant that the GTVA high command would never do it because it's so unwise, as you put it.

But it does demonstrate the GTVA's logistics problem is flexible. There's a degree of slack inherent. If at some point the GTVA has need of another battlegroup or five for short term offensive action, or to smother a developing UEF counterthrust, the forces can be committed long enough to accomplish the task and then sent back to their normal postings.

If at any point the UEF starts to win or sets up a defense available GTVA forces can't crack, then the GTVA could commit to a short-term deployment of a large portion of available fleet assets to break them. From the GTVA's point of view, there's no way out and no win condition for the UEF. They can afford to take the strangulation strategy because the ability to crush their enemies with a hammerblow is still waiting up their sleeve.
While I agree with you, that they can send a few more ships or even battlegroups, they can't afford to send too many ships. Granted, I didn't think about the "stamina" of the GTVA ships before, but the other problems still remain.
The need to keep a strong enough force to counter a Shivan attack, the need to make the people feel safe, the need to keep the fleet mobile and ready instead of putting them all behind a single bottleneck.
And there is the matter of fighting morale and loyality. The current Sol forces were carefully selected. The more you send in, the bigger the risk of getting something like what happened with the 14th BG again.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Daedalus Base is a station in solar orbit that is producing the majority of the antimatter used in UEF weaponry. It's a giant particle accelerator, heavily shielded against solar heat while at the same time using some of that energy to power itself. Capturing it intact is a major goal for the GTVA, however this task is nearly impossible due to the tightly restricted access and its well-secured location. The problem for any invader is that if your jump calculations are even a little off, you will find yourself outside Daedalus' shadow, which is immediately followed by catastrophic hull failures as the Sun burns away the Armor. And even if you do get the jump right, you're still facing a LOT of torpedo launchers primed and targeted at you.

This is the mission godrays were made for.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline -Norbert-

That reminds me so much of that one missin in Homeworld 1.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
While I agree with you, that they can send a few more ships or even battlegroups, they can't afford to send too many ships. Granted, I didn't think about the "stamina" of the GTVA ships before, but the other problems still remain.

Oh, I won't pretend it's not a balancing act, but it does set forth clearly that the GTVA has options beyond what's currently in Sol and is likely to exercise them if things go badly. There are risks to it, but there is also a point where the risk of losing the fight for Sol is more of a problem than a hypothetical Shivan attack.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

Last time I checked, the Second Shivan Incursion didn't begin with 80 juggernaughts, but with a mere couple of rakshasa and a few wings of fighters. For a good while the GTVA didn't fight anything larger than the first Ravana. The GTVA probably bets on that delay to be able to either hold the line or evacuate the systems until reinforcements arrive. 2-3 corvettes per system is probably enough, with a destroyer at, at most, one inter-system jump away.
Laporte mentions in Post Meridian that the Tevs have two dozen Hecates. That's enough to put a destroyer in every known GTVA system save three, even without the help of the Orion/Titan/Raynor classes or the entire Vasudan armada.

As for the GTVA's strategy, I think Steele has a better grasp on the situation that even we do. If the Imperiuse has been tucked away in the Kuiper Belt since Darkest Hour--and it's reasonable to assume it has been, since you're up against its fighter wings in the very next mission--then I have to wonder why he kept it hidden, rather than shock-jumping the Eris or Toutatis during one of their sorties to buy time for the Wargods. The only thing I can come up with is that Steele is fully aware of Byrne's UESD Nemesis secret project, and that he wanted the Imperiuse to be a secret trump card, and only exposed it because he had no other option to save the Carthage.

I would say push while the UEF is still reeling. The sooner 2nd Fleet Mars and 3rd Fleet Jupiter are broken, the sooner the GTVA can actually focus on Earth. Assuming, of course, it doesn't push Laporte over the edge...

Offline -Norbert-

The Imperieus was badly damaged (which made the UEF believeit would be pulled back into GTVA space) and without the repair capabilities of Delta Serpentis it probably wasn't finished, when the Toutatis made it's interventions.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Last time I checked, the Second Shivan Incursion didn't begin with 80 juggernaughts, but with a mere couple of rakshasa and a few wings of fighters. For a good while the GTVA didn't fight anything larger than the first Ravana. The GTVA probably bets on that delay to be able to either hold the line or evacuate the systems until reinforcements arrive. 2-3 corvettes per system is probably enough, with a destroyer at, at most, one inter-system jump away.

Especially since the New Generation 'vettes are made for shockjumping and one-shotting anything up to a Demon/Ravana.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline crizza

Aboard GTD Atreus

"You want me to what?"

"I don't want you to do anything. I'm giving you a direct order to 'do what'. But I want you to understand why I'm giving that order."

"Sir, I am accustomed to receiving orders from you that make a minimum of sense. I am not accustomed to those orders putting my crews - "

"Let me make something clear to you. You are one of the finest officers I have ever had the pleasure to command. You make your ships perform in ways that I probably could not manage at my finest."

"Sir, I appreciate that, but - "

"I am not finished. If I give you a direct order to fly your ships into a solar flare, you will obey that order. You will obey it whether I give you a seventy-page strategic directive explaining our urgent need for a fleet of ghost ships or a simple six-word coded imperative. You will obey the order with alacrity and without question, and you will do so with enthusiasm and skill. If you cannot meet these standards then you are not the woman I need in command of my point battle group."

"Sir."

"We are not like the enemy. Orders are not optional in this fleet. There's too much on the line for us."

"Sir."

"Do you want some coffee, Anita?"

"Please, sir."

"Have you read Contingency MORPHEUS?"

"I don't have the clearance, sir."

"A piece of advice? Pray to whatever force you believe in that it stays that way. It's a nightmare you don't get to wake up from."

I came to believe that Steele ordered the "Carthage Clan" to put it's lives on the line, so the UEF would send assets after them.
Maybe he even hoped that it would be the Toutatis herself and the Imperieus lied in wait untill the Feds rose to his bait, what they did in form of the Wargods.
Since the Solaris-ships are not deployed that easily, the Wargods...well...
Steele took his queen out of the game to capture...let's say...three bishops?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Ha, wasn't even a Queen.  That'd be the Imperiouse or Serkr Group, methinks.  The Carthage would be some other power piece, yes, but not the Queen.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
You're forgetting that Serkr was engaged with the big T while Delande Est was happening.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Then, it is lost. Or heavily damaged.
Neither is shown in the ending movie.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Drogoth

Then, it is lost. Or heavily damaged.
Neither is shown in the ending movie.

Part of Serkr is shown with the Imperiuse in the final cutscene.

I also doubt the BP team would kill one of the players' nemesis (Serkr) off screen.

On a sidenote, if Daedalus base is in close solar orbit how come they didn't receive the Indus' distress beacon? or did they just radio the Fedayeen and let the indus wait without telling them? I knew the UEF were full of cold bastards, TEV4LYFE
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Not Serkr, the Toutatis.

As for what the GTVA should do, what about continuing Elder assassination missions?
At worst, they'll despair and give up.
At best, they'll rage, forget tactics and charge... right into every beam weapon in Sol.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You're forgetting that Serkr was engaged with the big T while Delande Est was happening.

Not forgetting.  I'm just saying that Carthage was hardly Steele's queen piece in theater.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On a sidenote, if Daedalus base is in close solar orbit how come they didn't receive the Indus' distress beacon? or did they just radio the Fedayeen and let the indus wait without telling them? I knew the UEF were full of cold bastards, TEV4LYFE

Suns are big places :P
Big, noisy places at that. The Fedayeen have a few advantages that helped them find the Indus that noone else has.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns