Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 291033 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
IMO, they should be able to get away with firing Rockeyes... they are heat seeking, and the Pegasus does still have engines.  :D

trust me, you got discovered and they attacked you. sometimes they're missile whores, and sometimes there not, it depends if you give them the chance

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I tried it out and they do fire the rockeyes at the player. I don't remember whether it is supposed to work that way or not. Someone will need to check the retail behavior with this type of situation to determine whether or not it's an SCP bug. It doesn't matter one way or another in this particular mission.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I tried it out and they do fire the rockeyes at the player. I don't remember whether it is supposed to work that way or not. Someone will need to check the retail behavior with this type of situation to determine whether or not it's an SCP bug. It doesn't matter one way or another in this particular mission.

See Mantis 1422 I've just posted. I've made a test mission with original FRED2, so it can be run with any build you have and I can confirm that Tempest and Rockeyes are used against stealth fighters.

So there's nothing wrong in the observed behaviour. No SCP bug here.

(For anyone that reads this post, the mantised bug is other related issue ...)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline ShivanSpS

The Sthealths are not working, since LONG ago... if you fly a sthealths they will fire you Harpoons, hornets, rockeyes and everything....

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
The Sthealths are not working, since LONG ago... if you fly a sthealths they will fire you Harpoons, hornets, rockeyes and everything....

Nope, it seems you're wrong, and stealth fighters do work:yes:

I attach a modified version of StealthTest.fs2 from Mantis 1422. I've just added a "Harpoon against Player" GTF Hercules (F10) that attacks you. It doesn't fire its Harpoons at you at any time.

(This last fighter isn't invulnerable, so when you are tired, just blow it up and watch the others fighters' behaviour).

Stealth fighters are only attacked with Tempests and Rockeyes. No aspect-seeking missile is used against them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline ShivanSpS

What CVS?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You realize that CVS builds have bugs, right? Why didn't you use the one CP5670 recommended?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ShivanSpS

what i mena, is that 3.6.9 oficial es buged and sthealths are not working.... along whit the disarm order....

it's probably the one made specifically for the PI campaign

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's actually just a slightly older version of 3.6.9. But 3.6.9 introduced two new problems that weren't in this build, so I figured I would tell people to fall back on the older one for now. One of Taylor's newer XT builds (5/10) seems to have fixed everything again, so I'll probably replace the RC7.9X build on the website with it once I am sure of its stability.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
what i mena, is that 3.6.9 oficial es buged and sthealths are not working.... along whit the disarm order....
Please, mantis ALL the bugs you find. Don't let them missed through forums. Goober, Taylor & Co are not going to find them here.

But I swear you that stealth fighters work absolutely fine with 3.6.9. (at least in my former sample mission). Please post (AND MANTIS) any example you find of a bugged mission or situation, rather than just saying in any thread "I've heard somewhere, from someone, sometime, that fsopen has a very evil bug...". This kind of behaviour is pretty useless... (no offence intended).

It's actually just a slightly older version of 3.6.9. But 3.6.9 introduced two new problems that weren't in this build, so I figured I would tell people to fall back on the older one for now. One of Taylor's newer XT builds (5/10) seems to have fixed everything again, so I'll probably replace the RC7.9X build on the website with it once I am sure of its stability.
You must ask Taylor before posting a general link to those builds. Taylor hasn't announced them because they aren't intended for public use but just for testing. He could get angry (and with reason).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:32:23 pm by ARSPR »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Ooooops another little hygienic fix you can do in PI14d.fs2.

Spoiler:
I've opened this file because I thought I was suffering a stealth bug (being fired tornados aspect-seeking missiles) as ShivanSPS says. Nevertheless I've seen it isn't the case because the usage of an awacs-set-radius SEXP.

But, I've seen that you have set Alpha 1 hull strength twice: in SCT: Start event and in CPN: Alpha hull event.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You must ask Taylor before posting a general link to those builds. Taylor hasn't announced them because they aren't intended for public use but just for testing. He could get angry (and with reason).

Well, I doubt he would get angry (it only contain bugfixes, after all), but yes, I will certainly ask him first. The more important issue is to make sure is that it's stable enough and doesn't contain other bugs. I have encountered a few unexpected crashes and other odd behavior in it, but I've gotten some of that in RC7.9X too.

Ooooops another little hygienic fix you can do in PI14d.fs2.

Spoiler:
I've opened this file because I thought I was suffering a stealth bug (being fired tornados aspect-seeking missiles) as ShivanSPS says. Nevertheless I've seen it isn't the case because the usage of an awacs-set-radius SEXP.

But, I've seen that you have set Alpha 1 hull strength twice: in SCT: Start event and in CPN: Alpha hull event.

Looks like something left over from when I was messing around in that mission, trying to make the whole red alert system work. I'll remove it, although it won't make any difference to the mission behavior. At one point, the wingmen kept disappearing in those mission 14 parts and it took me over a week to fix it. The exact problem seemed to be different with each mission and I'm still not sure exactly how I got it working. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's probably the 3.6.9 executable, but in the two stealth missions (infiltrating secret base and then entering the portal, then the mission after that), the game experiences a fatal error and has to close. That's really annoying, to tell you the truth, I absolutely despise those messages.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is the crash repeatable? When exactly does it occur?

If it's during the mission loading sequence, I am aware of that problem and it's an FS2 bug that has been difficult to track down. It can occur randomly in any of the missions. Taylor may have recently fixed it, but it's definitely an issue in RC7.9X and 3.6.9 final. However, if you open the game and try loading it again, it should work fine. (it doesn't cause you to lose any campaign progress)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It happens during the loading screen, yes. But it never happened with the RC7.9X build.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You might have just gotten lucky. I have encountered that crash many times with both builds, and occasionally with other campaigns too.

On a side note, I updated some parts of the walkthrough, especially the mission 15 section. It should hopefully be more clear now. I also put up some other crap on the site.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Probably. Though your campaign seems to make 3.6.9 builds cry the most. :P

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hey take a look at the screenshot. (Mission 16)

Please check the model as the firing point is a bit out of place...  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]