Author Topic: Blue Planet Complete Patch 23rd of July  (Read 8919 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Blue Planet Complete Patch 23rd of July
Yeah, somehow I have yet to actually ever own a joystick. It's weird. I'm weird and dumb
It's not weird; I play FSO almost exclusively with the keyboard (I occasionally pull out my joystick to test force feedback stuff).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Got a CTD first time playing HFH in the simulator with today's nightly. I went and played it again, didn't repeat. What I'd like to know is why is the Normandy an Ulysses?

[attachment deleted by admin]
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Because the Bretonia was removed and the mission wasn't properly updated. The Ulysses is first in the ship list and so is the default.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
BP is currently broke and we have to fix it. Missions need to be updated to work with new models.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
I see. Thank you. I also noticed I missed an update to visuals1 and 2 and bpccore, (which I rectified) but it's still there. Still, least I know why now.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I've just re-downloaded BPC and took a moment to look at the new assets through the F3 lab. Those things are so beautiful. The new Oculus, these installations, Sanctus MkII. Combine it with PBR from almost latest Nightly build... Never before in my life I have seen such gorgeous spaceships.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline eicca

Is everything working again?

I can't use the installer since it's not on Mac, so I'm assuming I just re-download all the core vp files to get the latest update?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah. The installer totally does work on Mac, though. Just had a friend use it.

Offline Kolgena

Apologies and thanks ahead of time, as this is a "save me time by expending yours" question:

I've been gone for a while, and I notice that the newest nightlies now use PBRendering. Does this new BP patch adjust textures for BP models to match that? The newest patch from the installer doesn't seem to update ship textures. They look pretty bad in ship lab with PBR. Do I need to be using the textures from "http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89583.0" for the original game models? My main gripe is that all ships are too bright, almost as if emissive light is just on all the time now, despite the flag being in the launcher (does the flag still do anything? ogl spec? ambient factor?). Additionally, the BP models seem to specular lighting with what looks like no normal map contribution at all. Just big large areas of flat white specular highlights.

Otherwise, I've used the installer to try and get my installation up to date.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:29:07 pm by Kolgena »