Author Topic: [FA] Mission 3 Campaign 3  (Read 5834 times)

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
[FA] Mission 3 Campaign 3
Here's the mission. I'm tired and frustrated with it. Someone else wanna give a go at it? Play the mission and you'll spot the problems in no time.

http://swooh.com/peon/Zephyrus/Camp3Mission3.fs2

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Okay. I gave it a try and I spotted several things. Just looking at the mission in FRED now :)

1. You appear to be mis-using variables.
eg. in the first event you have this

when
-has-time-elapsed
--5(5)
-send-message

There is no need to use a variable in this place. What you want is a constant. Most SEXPs that use numbers default to constants (usually 0) simply click on the number and change it to whatever you want (much like renaming a file in windows explorer).
 Since you've now set this number to be a variable you may not be able to simply click and edit the number. You can simply change the expression to is-destroyed-delay or some other SEXP and just change it back again to return the constant.
 Variables are used in more advanced situations. Unlike constants you can change the value of a variable the number shown in the brackets is the default value but by the time the Event actually occurs the variable could very easily have a different value.

2. In the second event you're using the set-unscanned SEXP to set the transports as unscanned. This is unnecessary as you can simply go to the Ships Editor>Misc and untick the cargo known box to have the same effect.

3. The Iota Chatter Events could be replaced by a simple Send-message-list SEXP. Chaining the events like you have done would only be useful in combat where there was a risk one of the ships might be destroyed (in which case you'd check for that).

4. You've beam protected Alpha and made him stealthy but the enemy will still take potshots at him from time to time. The solution to this is to have an event at the start of the mission which protects alpha1. That will stop anyone fro shooting at alpha.

Okay those are the minor things. Now for the big ones.

5. The argos have a habit of pushing the Iceni around. I've got no idea why they're doing this. Nor why they have a habit of pirouetting around like ballet dancers when they reach a way point. I'll take a look at the mission again and see if I can spot the cause.

6. There's not much for alpha to do except sit there. To make the mission more interesting you'll need to borrow an idea from the FS1 mission Playing Judas. Have the NTF fighters periodically inspect the troop transporters.  Have them spend the rest of their time flying a guard patrol.
 Then add an event something like this
when
-<                                      (the less than operator)
--distance
---alpha1
---iota

When this event comes true unprotect and unstealthy alpha, send a message that shows he's been spotted (either from command or the NTF). If this occurs say that the mission has failed.

Add another (repeating) event with a 20 second delay or so that comes true whenever the player gets within 2000m of iota wing warning the player that he's getting too close.

Another way of making the mission more interesting involves the use of variables. Create a variable called eavesdroppingScore or something similar (one word, variables with spaces in don't work). Instead of playing every message only play them when the player is within 3000m of the Iceni. Every time a message does get played add one to the variable

modify-variable                                (The one in the replaceOperator>change>special menu not the first one you'll see)
-eavesdroppingScore (0)
--+
---eavesdroppingScore (0)

At the end of the mission if the player has scored high enough he passes. If he was too scared of the fighters to get close to the Iceni he fails.

BTW :yes:  on the dialogue :D Some of it will have to change as this isn't DEM II but it did make me laugh :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:16:28 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Thank you very much for your help, karajorma. Today is my first day of school, so uhh...I just got home. Anyway...

1. I never knew that I could simply click and type in the number, so I always thought that I had to create a variable first and then stick that variable in the spot.

2. I was looking for one of those checkboxes, but in failing to find one, I resorted to using the sexps.

3. I had no idea how the send-message-list sexp worked and I ignored it, so there's no wonder why I didn't use it.

4. The enemy does not just take potshots at him, they basically see him as normal and I had no idea how to remedy this problem. The argos, fighters, and Iceni were all shooting at me if I got too close. I couldn't figure it out, so I tried those sexps...obviously didn't work.

5. Yes, that struck me as pretty funny when you brought it up as ballet dancing...it's a very embarassing thing to have seen by people playing your mission. It's just ridiculous.

6. Thanks for those ideas, I was asking about them in the "ball rolling" thread, but I guess you gave me the answer here.

I'll try to fix up these things. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I think I know why the Iota transports are fluttering around like butterflies; they are formed up on each others' wing. Now, the problem is, I don't know how to get rid of that. They act just like a wing of fighters, so wherever one of them goes, the others will follow. I came to this conclusion when I was observing Iota 1 undock from the Bosch; the other transports span around and were going the same direction and same speed that Iota 1 was backing up to when it was undocking.

MAJOR EDIT: The new and vastly improved mission is now complete. There are three ways to fail the mission, one of them being less obvious, and everything should work correctly. However, there is still that one problem about the transports dancing around a lot because I haven't figured a way to have them not form on each others' wing.

Swooh's being bad though, so I kinda can't upload the revised version :(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 07:56:11 pm by 835 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Darn Swooh.

Oh well, I know one of the admins. I'll kick him for ya.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Aqueous, you may try not actually forming them into a wing.  There's nothing wrong with just calling them Iota 1, 2, 3 and 4.  It just means you have to do everything for all of them that you had previously only done for the wing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by StratComm
Aqueous, you may try not actually forming them into a wing.  There's nothing wrong with just calling them Iota 1, 2, 3 and 4.  It just means you have to do everything for all of them that you had previously only done for the wing.

Yep. I think that might be the cause of the problem. As soon as I saw Aqueous use the word Wing a little lightbulb appeared over my head :D

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Yea...the problem with it is having to make them their own separate ships...and that's sort of a hassle. I guess I'll work on it. Swooh still seems to be down so I guess I can't upload it anyway. Besides, I'm fairly busy this weekend...soo....I'll work on it when I get a chance. Sorry if this causes any problems.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nah. The whole idea is to work at your own pace. :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Although this might be a little too slow :p

:bump:

Anyway since swooh is down and AS has lost his copy here's mine.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Has it really been a year since I touched this thing? Wow...

Anyway, thanks a lot Kara, I'll work on it now.

Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Yea...the problem with it is having to make them their own separate ships...and that's sort of a hassle. I guess I'll work on it. Swooh still seems to be down so I guess I can't upload it anyway. Besides, I'm fairly busy this weekend...soo....I'll work on it when I get a chance. Sorry if this causes any problems.

I had the same problem with a wing of freighters but I fixed it by making them separate ships, not a wing.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor