Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 39524 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
Finished it. I'll have a few words about it, but first I'm gonna check out what Battuta and others have discussed already about it.

Offline Luis Dias

Quick complaint though, the map was really bad looking. It seems it's meant to be drawn by Baru herself, but still. It's the one piece of art in the whole book and it's boring, square and lacking in any good looks. Despite the reason mentioned, is there any good reason for this to be so?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Uh, I dunno. My partner did it based on my mspaint outline and gave it to Tor to spruce up and they added some new fonts and a couple little village icons. Next map is probably just gonna be her.

Aurdwynn is supposed to be more or less a game board.

Offline Luis Dias

Ah that makes sense. The drawing quality was all over the place, village "icons" being very detailed, mountains designed childlike, boundaries drawn in a vector based app, etc. What made me frown was, probably, the lack of in-world consistency: the map seems like drawn from Baru with her own commentaries on the various dukes, but at the same time, the fonts are obviously printed in in-world impossible jet printers (and so is the smooth sea).

Even if it becomes rougher and cruder, a hand drawn map of Aurdwynn could almost become an in-world item designed by Baru herself while travelling to this new territory while on her boat, the notes added later. Even if ignored by the book and "not confirmed" by the author as such, it would at least be an interesting thing. As it is, it's just weird, cognitive dissonant stuff.

But I'm diggressing too much on an almost irrelevant detail.

... I'll admit don't even remember there was a map :nervous: (which is weird because I tend to love it when authors include a map). That didn't deter my enjoyment of the story, I'm looking forward to the sequel :).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The map in book 1 is real good

Offline Mikes

The map in book 1 is real good

Mh the map certainly did not diminish my enjoyment.

My main complaint with the book is much worse: It ended. And the sequel isn't done yet!

Kindly, time and circumstances permitting, could you fix that Battuta, please? :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Thank you, your order has been placed.

Estimated delivery: Oct. 30, 2018 (the day it's released)

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

That cover is really good.

Spoiler:
I like in particular how Baru's hemilateral neglect is on show here (and yes I had to look that back up Batutta)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
So, finally read it (the first one).  Remarkable work, batts - really excellent writing, pacing, and plot.  I enjoyed it throughout.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So, finally read it (the first one).  Remarkable work, batts - really excellent writing, pacing, and plot.  I enjoyed it throughout.

Thanks!

Offline Veers

I think I pre-ordered Traitor through Amazon, I've ordered Monster through Barnes&Noble. Not sure if it matters which retailer though.

But so excited for this, so excited!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Was in a physical bookstore (Quail Ridge book store in Raleigh) and found a copy of Traitor.  I look forward to reading it.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Necro time! Worth it for this though.

Just preordered and looking forward to release of book 2. October 30th!
Also Battuta not sure if you had a hand in this:
Quote from: Amazon Webpage for the Masquerade Series
At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
if so, Thanks!!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Super looking forward to it, I have placed my import pre-order (I am in Germany).

Regarding the map topic by the way: Did you know that the translated German version of the book comes with a much "nicer", more detailed map? Someone redrew the whole thing, obviously loosing the idea of Baru scrabbling the thing quickly in the process. Battuta, I would be interested to know how much you (if at all) were involved in bringing the book to different countries. Know anyone of the translators? I know you gave an interview to the German translator, since I have read that at some point.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Regarding the map topic by the way: Did you know that the translated German version of the book comes with a much "nicer", more detailed map?
I'd love to see this, if possible.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I will make a scan.

EDIT: Here it is, to the limits of my decade-old scanner and bending my beautiful German edition of Baru 1 too much  ;)

Colors pop better in real life. To repeat again, I was really surprised to find this version of the map, after reading the british release first. Which, for reasons unknown, is actually called only "The Traitor". No idea if they will call the second book "The Monster" then...     I have decided to gift my British copy to a friend and have ordered the American editions of Baru 1 and 2. Gotta fit much nicer into my extensive physical book collection.

British books...    smell  :doubt:. Was even worse 20 years ago. Paper and printing quality for novels was always high in Germany, something I learned to value after first contact with foreign releases.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:49:00 pm by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Which, for reasons unknown, is actually called only "The Traitor". No idea if they will call the second book "The Monster" then...

Is the third book going to be called The Demon Baru Cormorant?

Or perhaps a subversion of expectations.  The Savior Baru Cormorant?

The Functioning Adult Baru Cormorant