Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.4 (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 28049 times)

Offline Bobun

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.4 (combined launcher/installer)
I also add you what my FSO folder look like (maybe there is something missing or something that should not be here). I noticed (but maybe it's normal) that there were common dll files beteween Knossos folder and FSO folder.

(And sorry for the lot of attachments, it's to make things cleared, and share common view)

Thanks  :)

Offline ngld

Looks fine to me at a glance... Can you please generate a debug log and test what happens if you rename the opengl32.dll in FSO's directory (just choose a different name like disabled_opengl32.dll)? I know that it's part of ReShade but I want to see if it's part of the problem.

@Bobun: Check if shadows are enabled or not.  For me that was the problem. 3.8.1 automatically enabled shadows while 3.7.2 didn't.

Offline Bobun

I'm trying to be methodical to understand the origin of the problem. So here what i did, following your instructions:

Deleted both FSO-3.8.0-3 and FSO-3.8.1-20180908 folders
Uninstalled Knossos 0.12.3 (remember I can’t open it, so to be able to do the debug log I must use the only version that works for me which is Knossos 0.8.3)
Installed Knossos 0.8.3
Downloaded and installed a new FSO-3.8.0-3 and FSO-3.8.1-20180911

Note: as I don’t have any opengl error message when I use Knossos 0.8.3, I did not copy D3DCompiler_47.dll, libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll from Mali OpenGL ES Emulator 3.0.2.g694a9 folder to Knossos folder. This opengl error message is specific to Knossos 0.12.3

NOR did I apply ReShade_Setup_3.4.1 to FSO build at the start of my tests (check bellow). But applied ReShade at the end (check log3_fs2_open.log). Like that you have elements to compare.

Tests:
•   Essay 1-Knossos 0.8.3: Tried to use FSO builds without applying Reshade:
   Knossos Settings\Prefered Engine: Nightlies

FSO build: FSO 3.8.1 -20180911 with MediaVPS 3.8.1
Flags: -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash –enable_shadows
Result: negative (can’t see ships/vessels in techroom)
I generated the fs2_open.log (Check Log1_fs2_open.log)

@ DeadNova: I checked the FSO Settings in MediaVPS 3.8.1 Options button and yes “Enable Shadows” was “On”, so I deselected it.
Result: negative (can’t see ships/vessels in techroom)

I though that maybe it was something I selected in the list type (FSO settings) that be the problem, so I selected only these flags to check potential incidences: –dualscanlines –targetinfo –rearm_timer -3dwarp –warp_flash –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice_3d -3dshockwave –orbradar
Result: negative

In addition, I wanted to check if “Enable shadows” had really an incidence on my issue. Here results:
Flags: -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash

Flags: -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash –enable_shadows

FSO build: FSO 3.8.1 -20180911 with MediaVPS 3.7.2
Flags: -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash -enable_shadows

FSO build: FSO 3.8.1 -20180911 with MediaVPS 3.7.2
Flags: -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash

   Knossos Settings\Prefered Engine: Stable
FSO build: FSO 3.8.0-3 with MediaVPS 3.8.1
Flags: -missile_lighting -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash
Result: Error message (seems a “normal” error message as MediaVPs 3.8.1 works only with nightlies)

FSO build: FSO 3.8.0-3 with MediaVPS 3.7.2
Flags: -missile_lighting -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash
Result: Positive (can see ships and vessels in Tech room)

FSO build: FSO 3.8.0-3 with MediaVPS 3.7.2
Flags: -missile_lighting -3dshockwave –dualscanlines –targetinfo –orbradar –ship_choice_3d –weapon_choice3d -3dwarp –warp_flash –enable_shadows
Result: Positive

Conclusion: @ DeadNova and everyone, “Enable shadows” seems to have nothing to do with the issue for me.

•   Essay 2-Knossos 0.8.3: Tried to use FSO-3.8.1-20180911 (with Reshade) with MediaVPS 3.8.1

Applied ReShade_Setup_3.4.1 to FSO-3.8.1-20180911 (fs2_open_3_8_1_20180911_138a1d0_x64_SSE2.exe) folder
Did not rename opengl32.dll

   Knossos Settings\Prefered Engine: Nightlies
Result: Negative
I generated the fs2_open.log (Check Log 2_fs2_open.log)

Renamed the opengl32.dll from FSO-3.8.1-20180911 to “disabled_opengl32.dll”
Result: Negative
I generated the fs2_open.log (Check Log 3_fs2_open.log)

Cheers

Can you go to your Home tab, click the details button for FSO and tell me which version you have installed? Should be in the top left corner. Also, please click on Options > Verify file integrity and tell me what the result was. Did you modify (or delete) any of FSO's DLLs?

The version is 3.8.1-20180911 and the popup message state that no problems were detected when verifying file integrity.  I haven't modified or deleted any of the DLLs.

Offline ngld

@Bobun: Thanks for detailed information! I think we can safely assume at this point that ReShade isn't causing any of the current issues. The log confirms that your driver is working and that it supports OpenGL 4.5. I've compared the two Knossos releases and the only significant difference that could cause the problem is a packaging issue in 0.8.3 which caused Qt to be unable to use Windows' "Vista style". It's weird. I really doubt that this causing your problem. Hm... I'll see if I can come up with any potential solutions.

@Konatsat: As an explanation: That error message is coming from windows and means that a 32bit exe file is trying to load a 64bit DLL (or the other way around). The annoying part is that Windows doesn't tell you which DLL is causing the problem so you have to guess. Does the error occur with older nightlies (try one from last year for example) or on 3.8.0?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I have tried out Knossos for the first time today and came away impressed. I could see myself switching over to a pure Knossos-setup in the future, if there is a ZIP or EXE-only distribution.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Anims: 420, Cutscenes: 10, Mainhalls: 7, Logos: 52
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • Mix-Hai Productions
I know there's an issue on github to make portable Knossos an option. I don't think ngld has had time to prioritize that yet.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - MixaelANITools - Between the Ashes - MjnMixael's Render Boutique - Mix-Hai Productions
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box - Photobucket Albums - Model Releases - Downloads
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!