Author Topic: GTF Ares - Ugly Duckling  (Read 1779 times)

Offline AV8R

GTF Ares - Ugly Duckling
While the GTF Ares has always been one of my favorite go-to ships to fly at the end of FS2, while messing around with the new PBR light settings to see how they looked in game I really began to notice the unattractive features of the Ares' exterior. Good God did the builders at Nankam Aeronautical attach the hull plating with giant ball-peen hammers?

Yikes, just look at the metallic mess on the side of that ship - yuk! If that is what the depleted uranium armor upgrade looks like, it's a whole lot of ugly. No amount of paint in the world is gonna cover that nasty bit o' pitted plating.   :nervous:

Something else I noticed about this model too - the upper and lower forward engine glows can bee see thru the cowls that are suppose to direct/cover the thrusters. You can see it in the pic: notice the glow showing through the upper engine cowl and the line of the cowl covering on the lower engine thruster. Even better, when you view those engines from the front of the ship it's as if the cowls are meant to be transparent - you can see the glows clearly through the metal (unless the cowls are supposed to be made of some sort of transparent aluminum or similar sci-fi space metal).   ;7

In other news, still trying to get that nice, dark, metallic look back to the models that was so easy in pre-3.8.0 builds - but still haven't found anything comparable yet.   :sigh:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:59:19 pm by AV8R »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: GTF Ares - Ugly Duckling
Current HTL Ares is probably retail-based, both model- and texture-wise. It's one of the oldest model upgrades in current MVP release, so don't expect miracles. It's model and maps should be completely redone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:23:38 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, it's definitely one of the oldest models in the MVPs
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Am I misremebering, or was there are version that makes look more "complete" (aka closer to the Herc II)?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The only alternate version of the Ares I can remember is Starslayer's concepts
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AV8R

For clarity: I'm not saying I don't like the style of the Ares (its overall look is pretty bad-ass in general), just the textures are awful. But yes, one thing at a time (heck, I'd just like to see someone finally take on redoing the DEMON and actually finish it).  :p

Starslayer's concept of the Ares seemed a bit pedestrian - but only for the Ares. The other ship designs actually looked quite realistic/functional. Cool stuff.  :yes: