Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2658052 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Culled these from the six I just posted on the Diaspora eyecandy thread.

Are those the fractal skyboxes I made a while back? :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest I don't know where they came from. I found them in the models folder and just decided they'd look look great. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Wow, those look great!

Also, ya'all remember Spidey's trailer? Got it re-recorded on the latest nightly. :)

Follow the new Hard-Light YouTube channel!

I thought the FSO trailer was good, but not terribly fantastic, when it first came out. Now that I'm seeing this version of the trailer and no longer running on an ancient PC, I'm starting to really appreciate how much development FS2_Open has gone through over the years.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I made a thing related to Freespace.

I was aiming for something that showcases FSO gameplay but ended up just showcasing what fighter explosions look like.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
SMOKE BOMB!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I legitimately laughed so loud I woke the other people in the house the moment that popped up  :lol:
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player

I was aiming for something that showcases FSO gameplay but ended up just showcasing what fighter explosions look like.
How do you do this badass manoeuver ? You use a joystick I guess ? It looks so professional

The barrel roll? I use a gamepad, but you can do this with a keyboard too. Apply full roll and full yaw or pitch(whichever is faster for your ship) and punch the burners. Since you're continuously changing your movement vector you will dodge almost all primary fire and most missiles. Being able to avoid fire while closing in with your target makes insane so much easier.
Despite what StarFox told you, just rolling while maintaining your movement vector is not a barrel roll.
This is because the AI aims at your lead reticle, with a continuous manoeuvre you will never actually be where your lead reticle says you will. Aspect missiles try to "lead" your ship as well, they will overshoot if you're changing direction continuously.

With the Atalanta you can also use the sidethrusters to push you outwards or inwards so that you can stay in missile FOV and fire your own heatseekers while avoiding enemy missiles.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:44:50 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
With the Atalanta you can also use the sidethrusters to push you outwards or inwards so that you can stay in missile FOV and fire your own heatseekers while avoiding enemy missiles.
My ships in Shattered Stars can do that.

Anyway, how do you do that?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Err, I think it's numpad 7 and 9 by default.

Nice video, FrikgFeek.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
The barrel roll? I use a gamepad, but you can do this with a keyboard too. Apply full roll and full yaw or pitch(whichever is faster for your ship) and punch the burners. Since you're continuously changing your movement vector you will dodge almost all primary fire and most missiles. Being able to avoid fire while closing in with your target makes insane so much easier.
Despite what StarFox told you, just rolling while maintaining your movement vector is not a barrel roll.
This is because the AI aims at your lead reticle, with a continuous manoeuvre you will never actually be where your lead reticle says you will. Aspect missiles try to "lead" your ship as well, they will overshoot if you're changing direction continuously.

Ok I see ! I either applied full yaw (or pitch), but i never thought to use both full roll and full yaw. I will try that ! Thank you

Offline Spidey-

Wow, those look great!

Also, ya'all remember Spidey's trailer? Got it re-recorded on the latest nightly. :)

Follow the new Hard-Light YouTube channel!

Oh man! Haven't checked in here for a while now. That glow/bloom and those explosion distortions are really working for the engine now! And I finally have a new rig... hmmm maybe it's time for another FS2 playthrough...

Offline CKid

Taken from Exile. It's just so darn pretty, I had to go back and take a screenshot.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unf that's pretty

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Coming soon to a test build near you...

(We currently use the Blinn-Phong BRDF, GGX has a different specular falloff resulting on softer specular highlights as well as a few other neat things)
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Super cool stuff to look at! Thanks!

Hello all,

FINALLY managed to figure out how to assemble a Hecate-class destroyer. Links to pics below. Would attach pics but the originals are apparently to massive to be uploaded.

Instructions are available on my Bricklink if anyone else wants to try.

I've also put together a passable GTD Sirona and GTCv Phobos Advanced corvette... or something inspired by it anyway. And ditto something reminiscent/inspired by the Raynor/Erebus.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5307/9aVUD5.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8347/nNDMJo.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5034/IXnaSB.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9206/REQ983.jpg
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heee, pocket Hecate

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
May I model something based on third photo :] ?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline -Norbert-

Lego-Freespace Mod confirmed?  :lol: