Author Topic: Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?
There's one problem with the Starforge inherently and using it in freespace specifically.  I'll forgo the arguments over the feasability of such a device or where the resources come from, sure.  But there is still the problem of crew.  Manpower is not an infinite resource, and crewing 10k+ man warships that pop out at a near-infinite rate doesn't seem like something that humans can do in Star Wars, much less in the more realistic (Yeah, I know.  It's relative.) world of Freespace.  EU and canonality be damned, the comparison is moot because it is stupid.  End of story.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

The heat dissipation numbers are in watts.  The numbers are also consistent with things like 'blowing up planets' and the generally ludicrious powerlevels in SW.  Although it was from memory: the ships would need 10e18W  to survive more than a few seconds in combat with one another.  Since troop transports like Acclamator have 10e22W, I'd say Starforge is better.

Lets not forget that stellar plasma, while hot, is extremely diffuse and doesn't actually transfer heat very quickly.  Its a scifi brainbug that says stars are dangerous.

Stratcomm, however, is absolutely right.  It's just a stupid piece of stupid EU in a stupid game.  Lets all ignore it.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
So that's total and not per square meter, thank god.

And heat dissapation isn't realy all that matters. What matters is a wall of material moving at relativistic speeds.

(nots the inconsistencies of ships surviving blasts from supposedly terawat lasers then dieng instantly when a small ship, with a kenetic enrgy of far less than .3 tJ)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:17:32 am by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Because crashing into a 900km warship = killed by an Awing.  Wow, analysis. :rolleyes: Not to mention that the shields were DOWN, thus making it a pretty stupid example of shield capability.

The relativistic nature of the shivan supernova - both occuring in seconds and propagating at least several AU in 20-30 seconds - would indeed be the only real threat to the station.

However, this isn't a vs thread, and I'm hijacking.  I reiterate: although deeply lame, the Starforge can almost certainly survive the detonation of the star it orbits.  Simply forming a wall with those silly ships it builds would increase it's defence, if that was even needed.  FS2 is pretty low in the scifi pecking order, as it should be as a non-wankfest 24th century setting.

On another note, why would anyone want to build Deimos corvettes with the starforge?  Are the ships in KOTOR seriously lame enough to warrant replacement with an FS2 ship?

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Deimos is awesome, so quiet.

And who's to say you couldn't pump out people along with the ships? Just a thought...
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Uh, if the starforge system went nova, the starforge is royal toast, simply because the thing is ludicrously close to the star.  We're not even talking mercury close, we're talking "Why, exactly, isn't that thing melting?" close - the ending of Kotor makes that pretty clear.  Blow up one stabilizer and the thing falls into the thing.

On the other hand, maybe that just proves it has some absurd heat shielding, making the explosion null and void.  

Crew shouldn't be much of a problem for the forge.  While people are a bit beyond it's capacity, the thing spews out droids like there were no tommorow.  While they may not be the ideal crew, they're certainly capable enough if you make them right.

And you know, I forgot something - the forge has a rather major defense system with one heck of a range, capable of disabling ships from quite a distance.  If that works on the shivans, they're in big trouble.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I would win. I did against both of them.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Wait, I just remembered something. Which came first, the Dyson Sphere(in Star Trek: The Next Generation), or this stupid Starforge thing from Kotor? Oh wait, that's right, the Dyson Sphere. By about 10 years.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Dyson sphere was coined in 1959 by Freeman Dyson; I hope you're not giving Star Trek (of all things-!) credit for its creation, it's an ancient idea.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Though, Gene Rodenberry (And A.C Clarke, I think) were the first people to promote the idea of a 'Desktop Computer' and a portable computer (Tricorder) ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by aldo_14
Dyson sphere was coined in 1959 by Freeman Dyson; I hope you're not giving Star Trek (of all things-!) credit for its creation, it's an ancient idea.

Although Freeman Dyson's sphere was not a solid construct. More like a distributed system of small planetoids to collect the energy.

Nor was the Dyson Sphere actually Dyson's idea. He merely popularised an earlier idea. As usual wikipedia has all the info :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Jal-18

The Executor was not 900km long.  All rational measurements put it at 17.5 kilometers.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

As usual wikipedia has all the info :)

Where do you think I got it from? :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I prefer discussing Dyson spheres to the Physics of two completely imaginary universes ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Where do you think I got it from? :)

Well I actually knew it before I looked for the link :) But then I was a big fan of Larry Niven's Ringworld books so looking up the next biggest thing seemed like a good idea back then :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo

No, I'm not, honestly... Let us just say that KOTOR ripped off the Dyson Sphere idea, and didn't even give Mr. Dyson himself credit. At least ST kept the original name.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I won't mention vacuum cleaners...

And Freelancer used a Dyson Sphere too :)

Offline Cyker

How about a hundred Unicron's? ;)

Originally posted by Jal-18
The Executor was not 900km long.  All rational measurements put it at 17.5 kilometers.

The 900km starship I referred to was the Death Star II.  The Executor can hardly crash into itself!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ghost

No, I'm not, honestly... Let us just say that KOTOR ripped off the Dyson Sphere idea, and didn't even give Mr. Dyson himself credit. At least ST kept the original name.

Um... given that Star Wars is set 'in a galaxy far far away, a long time ago', it wouldn't make all that much (or indeed any) sense to namecheck a guy who technically doesn't exist in that universe.

Of course, IIRC the Star Forge wasn't a Dyson Sphere / swarm / whatever because it merely harnessed the stars power; any dyson 'construct' in some way surrounds a star, be it in a network of satellites, rings, encapsulating sphere, etc.  I think for one thing the Star Forge was far too small.

Anyways, are you sure you're not just having a go for the sake of it?