Author Topic: "De Conversiones"  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Another Latin name...it will hopefully attract your attention...  :nod:

I want to talk about released full conversion demos and criticize them a bit. I have played both WCS Prologue and BSG Demo. The fact that both releases are standalone is a good thing...this can prevent crashes caused by broken compatabilty with Media VP files and/or FS Open builds I think, but:
I noticed the presence of many GW members that don't even try to play FS and are interested only on BSG(the same is for a handful of HLP members mostly interested on WCS). Everything seems ok for you, but not for me. What are these conversions bringing to the community? They should help making FS popular, not create separate communities within the FreeSpace community. Like for most campaign VP files, these conversion packages contain stuff we already have, a waste of memory. What's wrong in telling whoever is interested on WCS and BSG that they should DL FreeSpace 2 first? They will like FS2 too, we're pretty sure of this.

Also, I noticed that these conversions seem created only for fans of the series the conversions are based on. I have never played a WC and I have never seen an episode of BSG. I hoped the conversions would have introduced their Universes... I was wrong. I wanted to know something about the storyline and now I'm confused. The contrary of what I have expected. This is a big community, we're not all supposed to know WC or BSG storyline backgrounds and we obviously want to play conversions once they're available. I would like the project leaders of both mods to write introductions. Something about the Saga from WCS members and something about the seasons of BSG by the respective mod's members. People that don't know WC or BSG would appreciate something like that. Thanks.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline SGT_R22eR

• The Nordic Frenchman known as Exakt now
Another Latin name...it will hopefully attract your attention...  :nod:

I want to talk about released full conversion demos and criticize them a bit. I have played both WCS Prologue and BSG Demo. The fact that both releases are standalone is a good thing...this can prevent crashes caused by broken compatabilty with Media VP files and/or FS Open builds I think, but:
I noticed the presence of many GW members that don't even try to play FS and are interested only on BSG(the same is for a handful of HLP members mostly interested on WCS). Everything seems ok for you, but not for me. What are these conversions bringing to the community? They should help making FS popular, not create separate communities within the FreeSpace community. Like for most campaign VP files, these conversion packages contain stuff we already have, a waste of memory. What's wrong in telling whoever is interested on WCS and BSG that they should DL FreeSpace 2 first? They will like FS2 too, we're pretty sure of this.

I don't think these conversions are bad for the FS community, I actually think the opposite. Both conversions states it is based on the FreeSpace 2 Open engine, and so far, a lot of the people
that got to know either of the conversions are getting told how FS2 is a great game, and in turn, get FS2 and enjoy it.

Also, I noticed that these conversions seem created only for fans of the series the conversions are based on. I have never played a WC and I have never seen an episode of BSG. I hoped the conversions would have introduced their Universes... I was wrong. I wanted to know something about the storyline and now I'm confused. The contrary of what I have expected. This is a big community, we're not all supposed to know WC or BSG storyline backgrounds and we obviously want to play conversions once they're available. I would like the project leaders of both mods to write introductions. Something about the Saga from WCS members and something about the seasons of BSG by the respective mod's members. People that don't know WC or BSG would appreciate something like that. Thanks.

The BSG : BtRL demo is sure a bit confusing for people who haven't seen the show, but rest assure that everything will be told in the full release... Hey, a demo is only to get a taste of what is to
come and this is what we have accomplished.... We even have one of our team member who haven't seen a single episode yet of BSG.
If we're the only people in the universe, it would be an awful waste of space.
A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances.
The most valuable commodity I know of, is information.
Through the perception of illusion, we experience reality.
I run in circles on a daily basis.
There is a fine line between genius and foolishness... I walk on it permanently.
Proudly supporting Diaspora
Now mostly known as Exakt

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't think these conversions are bad for the FS community, I actually think the opposite. Both conversions states it is based on the FreeSpace 2 Open engine, and so far, a lot of the people
that got to know either of the conversions are getting told how FS2 is a great game, and in turn, get FS2 and enjoy it.

But the presence of incredible conversions should encourage people to get FS2. I don't see the point of having standalone mods unless there are issues.

The BSG : BtRL demo is sure a bit confusing for people who haven't seen the show, but rest assure that everything will be told in the full release... Hey, a demo is only to get a taste of what is to
come and this is what we have accomplished.... We even have one of our team member who haven't seen a single episode yet of BSG.

Ok. I'm counting on you.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So you're saying that we should force people to either A) try to find and buy an 8 year old game (almost impossible), or B) make them download an extra GIG of software just to play one TC that includes (in BTRL's case) only three flyable ships?

And if you haven't seen the show, or played the WC games, why is it our responsibility to make sure you know every detail of both of them (where there are obviously a lot more than can be explained in a simple readme). If you really want to know that bad, go read up on them in Wikipedia. Of course the conversions are made for fans of the originals - what else would we make them for? So we can spend pages explaining to you the current situation of the show/game? No - if you want to play it but are curious about the backstory, go look it up or watch the show, don't rely on us to do all the explaining for you.

On top of that, the conversions are great for the community. We've gotten dozens of new members that simply wouldn't be here without them.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Considering the amount of computer inept people we've had download the demo, i think having it not come in a convenient package would have A) turned off a lot of people to the demo or B)  made people highly confused about if they could get it or not or how to install it.  BTRL/ WCS/ SoL i think will definitely increase the popularity of FS2 but forcing it down peoples throats might decrease the amount of users
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
So you're saying that we should force people to either A) try to find and buy an 8 year old game (almost impossible), or B) make them download an extra GIG of software just to play one TC that includes (in BTRL's case) only three flyable ships?

"Forcing" is a rude word. If they really want to play a demo... they should DL FS2 as well. A) The SCP has upgraded it, as we all know and B) That's only for the demo. As far as I know, the complete release will be standalone.

And if you haven't seen the show, or played the WC games, why is it our responsibility to make sure you know every detail of both of them (where there are obviously a lot more than can be explained in a simple readme). If you really want to know that bad, go read up on them in Wikipedia. Of course the conversions are made for fans of the originals - what else would we make them for? So we can spend pages explaining to you the current situation of the show/game? No - if you want to play it but are curious about the backstory, go look it up or watch the show, don't rely on us to do all the explaining for you.

I know that...but when I played BtRL I had the sensation of starting halfway in the storyline. I think I will check the Wiki... my point is that I expected some kind of introduction. I bet that many others who played the demo are like me.

On top of that, the conversions are great for the community. We've gotten dozens of new members that simply wouldn't be here without them.

New members active mostly on their "favourite" boards. A few months ago we discussed about a WC coverage, that has been rejected I think...meh...

Considering the amount of computer inept people we've had download the demo, i think having it not come in a convenient package would have A) turned off a lot of people to the demo or B)  made people highly confused about if they could get it or not or how to install it.  BTRL/ WCS/ SoL i think will definitely increase the popularity of FS2 but forcing it down peoples throats might decrease the amount of users

You have a point...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
"Forcing" is a rude word. If they really want to play a demo... they should DL FS2 as well. A) The SCP has upgraded it, as we all know and B) That's only for the demo. As far as I know, the complete release will be standalone.

It's a rude word but that's what you're asking. You're also cutting off a vast number of people from the FS2 community and the TC's eventual release, because when we release the demo people will go neat! I can download it! Wait, I don't have Freespace 2...oh well, it looks cool. I know that because there is no way in hell I'd download a gig (more like 2 if you include SCP addons) just to play a three mission demo.

I know that...but when I played BtRL I had the sensation of starting halfway in the storyline. I think I will check the Wiki... my point is that I expected some kind of introduction. I bet that many others who played the demo are like me.

No, many others who played the demo were fans of the series - and those who weren't went and looked it up and didn't expect us to explain three years worth of storyline to them.

New members active mostly on their "favourite" boards. A few months ago we discussed about a WC coverage, that has been rejected I think...meh...

So what? If they're here and they're really interested in FS2, then they'll go and play it - if they're not, then they wouldn't play it anyway!

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
fs2 is kinda slow going anyway.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
hmm i don't see a tsk tsk head shake smiley. 

:blah:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
fs2 is kinda slow going anyway.
Yeah, and all these people working so hard for years on TCs and Campaigns are a testament to it. :wtf:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Dysko

According to the HOTU, Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga (the first 3 games of the series optimized for Windows) is abandonware, but before posting a link that mods or admins could consider a link to warez I prefer hearing what they think.
BSG shows (don't know which series though) were aired in Italy on Sky this summer, but since I don't have pay-tv I didn't watch them.

There are also dedicated wikis both for WC and BSG.
The *cough* Wing Commander CIC *cough* hosts a WC encyclopedia (well, actually it's not a wiki, you can't edit that).
And you can find the BSG wiki here.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
1) I think this is more a topic for General FS than modding as it affects a lot more than the modders amongst us. :)

2) let me make one very important point that no one here has mentioned yet. Downloading FS2 is illegal. Both HLP and GW don't care much about this. We're all of the opinion that it's a greater crime to let FS2 fade away and be forgotten but lets not forget that TCs are not just made for the FS2 community. We want to be able to advertise on the whole internet without fear that the post will be deleted and the user banned for posting warez.

3) I spend a very large amount of time dealing with people who have installed mods incorrectly. Stand alone TCs do not have that problem (Well except on two occasions when people installed the stand alone BtRL to their FS2 folders and unsurprisingly found it didn't work :lol: ). Insisting that everything is installed on FS2 increases the workload of people supporting them. And I doubt any of the team will be happy t hear that.

4) The only reason I haven't added a "Play Freespace - The game that started it all" sticky thread to GW is because frankly I don't think that
a) We have the bandwidth for all the downloads
b) Have the SCP in a suitably easy state to download and install for them.

Turey's installer is great but for something like that I'd want an easily installed and maintained .torrent file and Shivan/Hip's download isn't ready yet.

Now as for the points you mention about accessibility you do actually make a good point there. The demo didn't explain the storyline simply because there wasn't enough content. You are right that a good game should not require the user to have a huge amount of foreknowledge of the show it's based on though. The fanbase for TCs like BtRL, Starfox and WCS is pretty much firmly divided into two camps. Fans of the original who simply want to play in the universe and gamers who simply want to play a good game. And you're right that we should be doing a lot more to reach the second camp. For a start it's the bigger one. :)

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
while its true, the current generation of "computer geeks" probibly have never seen a dos prompt, played quake on a 486, or know what a voodoo card is. but if you have 1000 people playing your tc, and maybe out of those you have maybe 5 who go "this is a pretty cool game engine, i want to make my own mod or maybe check out the source" then its definately cool for the community. we have a few more moronic noobs but who knows one day they might become modders or coders. even i at one point was an annoying newb (even thow i dont think that term was around back then), and look at me now. muhahahahaha :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I posted this idea on BTRL ill throw it over here as well:

"Well i don't know if their is an easy way to sum up BSG, maybe a campaign intro vid or something.  But as for the point about adding more awareness of FS2Open how about a highlight reel?  Maybe if HLP put together a standardized trailer showcasing the improvements to FS2Open and maybe a couple snipits of the big Mods, BTRL, SoL, TBP, WCS ect.  and had it as a tech room vid in all the FS2 games and mods?   That way your gaining intrest for FS2Open and its peripherals without specifically saying "Illegally Download it!!"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i have my doubts about whether it is actually illegal to download FS2 -

a) it's abandonware
b) the trademarks are probably legaly in abandonment
c) it's original EULA expressly allows making copies
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Dysko

a) it's abandonware
AFAIK, FS2 is not officially abandonware (yet :D).

But all newbies are our friends, so the EULA still applies, right? :lol:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
1) I think this is more a topic for General FS than modding as it affects a lot more than the modders amongst us. :)

It was my objective :lol:

2) let me make one very important point that no one here has mentioned yet. Downloading FS2 is illegal. Both HLP and GW don't care much about this. We're all of the opinion that it's a greater crime to let FS2 fade away and be forgotten but lets not forget that TCs are not just made for the FS2 community. We want to be able to advertise on the whole internet without fear that the post will be deleted and the user banned for posting warez.

I completely forgot it but...

i have my doubts about whether it is actually illegal to download FS2 -

a) it's abandonware
b) the trademarks are probably legaly in abandonment
c) it's original EULA expressly allows making copies

AFAIK, FS2 is not officially abandonware (yet :D).

???

3) I spend a very large amount of time dealing with people who have installed mods incorrectly. Stand alone TCs do not have that problem (Well except on two occasions when people installed the stand alone BtRL to their FS2 folders and unsurprisingly found it didn't work :lol: ). Insisting that everything is installed on FS2 increases the workload of people supporting them. And I doubt any of the team will be happy t hear that.

That's the only positive aspect of standalone mods.

4) The only reason I haven't added a "Play Freespace - The game that started it all" sticky thread to GW is because frankly I don't think that

Turey's installer is great but for something like that I'd want an easily installed and maintained .torrent file and Shivan/Hip's download isn't ready yet.

At least suggest whoever tries to DL BtRL to play FS2 as well. I have recuited to BtRL fans(one is American or English, the other is Italian) and they don't seem interested on FS2. You should encourage them to try the game...that's what I'm asking for...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I plan to. But not when it means that Razorkiss will get his site taken down due to bandwidth abuse.

Bear in mind that BtRL has had over 100,000 downloads by now. If only 1% of those attempted to download 2gigs worth of FS2 it would be a huge spike in bandwidth usage. Hence the need for a torrent. But it has to be one which is easy to use and we currently don't have one of those. Shivan's is too out of date at the moment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Yeah, that would suck :D

But, more seriously...

While I think FS2's engine, especially when SCP-upgraded, is pretty stinking awesome - I've never been all that fond of FS2.  Remember, not everyone here started in FS2, and that the people doing total conversions, obviously, like the world that they're creating in.

For instance: our mod, Fringespace.

FS2, Allegiance, and Tachyon all came out within a very short timespan.  I own all three, have played all three.  I liked Tachyon's flight model much better than the other two.  That doesn't mean I completely dislike FS2 - I'm hosting the retail files for Turey's Installer!

However, I'm doing a TC for a game that is my favorite, of all time.  While I do appreciate that you enjoy FS2 - I'm not going to force anyone to download it to play my TC - although I will refer them, if they want to play another space sim as well.  There's going to be a good half-dozen complete games here, with all of the Total Conversion projects, in a relatively short span of time.  Looking at the recent first-person space simulator market, that's pretty darn good. 

Liek I said - I do understand your point - but once something is moddable, it's no longer about the original.  It's about turning it into as many different things as possible from that original base.  Of course, there's going to be improvements to the original - but that is only one of the myriad projects in the works now. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:50:45 pm by RazorsKiss »
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

I plan to. But not when it means that Razorkiss will get his site taken down due to bandwidth abuse.

Bear in mind that BtRL has had over 100,000 downloads by now. If only 1% of those attempted to download 2gigs worth of FS2 it would be a huge spike in bandwidth usage. Hence the need for a torrent. But it has to be one which is easy to use and we currently don't have one of those. Shivan's is too out of date at the moment.

I agree completely. While my Installer is great for our community, we all saw the side effects of too many people using it at the end of March. Originally, it wasn't even supposed to include retail, until I started getting requests from Linux/Mac users who were having a hard time getting the files.

Version 2.0 of Shivan's Pack will alleviate a lot of these problems. If everyone can get their initial download through Shivan, and then use the Installer to update, we'll be able to handle a lot more downloads.

3.7.0 will also help out with the introduction of compressed VPs.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.