Author Topic: Freespace and Windows 10  (Read 5124 times)

Offline CT27

Freespace and Windows 10
Just to be safe:  I'm going to be upgrading my W8.1 computer to Windows 10 within the next month.  Freespace and all the campaigns will still work on Windows 10 correct?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Freespace and Windows 10
I haven't had any problems, but if you do, we can probably fix them.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Same here; everything that worked under Windows 7 has worked for me in Windows 10.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FSO should be the least of your concerns with Windows 10.

Offline CT27

FSO should be the least of your concerns with Windows 10.

A lot of people say it's awesome, a lot say it's horrible...so I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'm going to keep my Windows 7 machine with Windows 7 until MS drops it in 2020.  The only question is what to do with my Windows 8.1 machine (keep 8.1 or upgrade to 10).

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
A considerable number of techs have mentioned Windows 10's rather clandestine way of connecting to the Internet for various reasons. You might want to read up on those first before upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 if data privacy concerns you greatly.

Potential privacy issues aside, I think it's a good OS, but I can't really tell the difference between 8.1 and 10. Cortana's disabled on my computer and I've never even touched Edge because I don't need it (I've been using a combination of Comodo Dragon, Firefox, the Tor Browser and IE11 for browsing back when my PC ran Windows 8.1, and those still work perfectly on Windows 10). I'm also using Classic Shell instead of the stock Start Menu, so that's not even much of a consideration. I do note that Windows 10 performs better than Windows 8.1, though, using slightly less RAM and booting up quite a bit faster, which is quite a feat since Windows 8.1's hybrid shutdown is already not bad.

So...yeah, some people say it's awesome, and some people say it's horrible. They are all right to an extent.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Windows 8.1 (and 7 too!) is gonna get the monitoring patched in, though, so you're going to need to invest in some way of cutting that off anyway. TBH, there is no reason not to update the Windows 8.1 machine to 10, as they're fairly similar, except that 10 has some annoyances of 8.1 fixed (start menu is back, for example). It's also faster and lighter on memory, better than 8.1 and much better than 7. I never really tried Cortana (don't need it) and Edge is another Chrome-like piece of crap, not all that distinct from any other browser other than the fact I couldn't find an option to save downloaded files anywhere except into the Windows default folder. That said, IE11 isn't going anywhere and the old Opera still works, so Edge is not a major concern.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Windows 8.1 (and 7 too!) is gonna get the monitoring patched in, though, so you're going to need to invest in some way of cutting that off anyway.

There are software articles that describe how to disable the pertinent Windows Updates.

The updates are sneaky little things though, so it's necessary to disable automatic installation of updates, remove the offending ones, reboot a few times, and then hide them so they won't be installed again.