Author Topic: So... apparently this is Ebay's description of FreeSpace 1.  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
So... apparently this is Ebay's description of FreeSpace 1.
This two-disc compilation pack features two Descent: Freespace games: Descent: Freespace -- The Great War and Descent: Freespace -- Silent Threat. Each of these CDs will rocket you into an intense battle for ultimate control and survival of the best.

From Interplay, Descent: Freespace -- The Great War puts you into a critical situation. Planet earth has been attacked by an alien race know as the Shivans. They have not responded to friendly communication and are on a rampage around the solar system. The GTA (Global Terran Alliance) has dispatched fleets of space fighters and battleships to stop the Shivan destruction. You, as a GTA member have joined the war for survival to hopefully preserve the future and prosperity of the people on Earth. Yet, at such a technological disadvantage to the Shivans, hope is hard to come by. Featuring 30 campaign levels, 20 multi-player missions, eight different ships, plenty of weapons, and a whole slew of tactics for use, this game features a war of epic proportions where only the species with the most might and drive will win. Also featured in the game is a mission editor called "FRED" that will allow you to alter existing missions or create new ones so that campaigns can progress the way you want them. Artificial Intelligence for the computer players has also been upgraded from previous Descent games, so you will definitely have a fight on your hands.

The additional CD-ROM, Descent: Freespace -- Silent Threat takes place during the raging war of the first CD-ROM, but you have been commissioned a special task. You are to go behind enemy lines and retrieve information vital to the GTA. Although, you can't help but wonder if the GTI (Global Terran Intelligence) is setting you up or if the Shivans really are up to no good. With this question posed, you accept the mission and head to your ship. This add-on features 40 new missions to challenge yourself with and a plethora of new ships and weapons to make the game even more involved.

Each game supports Internet and LAN play for up to 12 people in a variety of different styles. Dog fighting, strategy tasks or large-scale team battles all await you and your friends in over 20 different unique multi-player missions and levels.

Did they even play the game or at the very least read the blurbs on the game packages? :wtf:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Re: So... apparently this is Ebay's description of FreeSpace 1.
Or maybe we have all been playing the wrong game all this time...? :wtf:

Btw, do you have a link to that page?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311169049361?euid=9cdb59ae0ec04e449ee2bcd5077ef7ee&cp=1

eBay seems to have multiple "detailed descriptions" of it. They have some weird ones for FreeSpace 2, as well. One starts out with "The Great War has apparently ended" and calls the GTA forces "meek."
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Did they even play the game or at the very least read the blurbs on the game packages? :wtf:

I think reading the blurbs is all they did.  Hilariously, they didn't even need to bother rewriting them, because providing a direct quote for the purposes of evaluation does not count as either plagiarism or copyright infringement.

Compare:

As the Great War rages on, you've been commissioned by the GTI (Galactic Terran Intelligence) for special intelligence operations. In a matter of National Security, you've been asked to go behind enemy lines in order to preserve the fragile space treaty. Is the GTI setting you up or are the Shivans spreading their evil rage?

Silent Threat takes place during the raging war of the first CD-ROM, but you have been commissioned a special task. You are to go behind enemy lines and retrieve information vital to the GTA. Although, you can't help but wonder if the GTI (Global Terran Intelligence) is setting you up or if the Shivans really are up to no good.

Shivans being "up to no good" is a serious contender with "evil rage" though
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Veers

Am I the only person who is resisting actually asking the seller the above question about the inaccuracies?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
To me it reads like a language issue. These are sounding like multiple iterations of Google Translate.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's an American copy located in Goshen, Indiana.  Not the most likely place for translation needs.  But eBay itself doesn't have anything to do with those descriptions right?  Isn't that all provided directly by the seller?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's an American copy located in Goshen, Indiana.  Not the most likely place for translation needs.  But eBay itself doesn't have anything to do with those descriptions right?  Isn't that all provided directly by the seller?

Not necessarily. EBay has pre-written detailed descriptions that you can choose from that have things like official measurements and specifications. I pointed out to the seller before posting this that the description they used for the game had barely anything right on it, and they replied saying it was an eBay description.