Author Topic: What would you have liked to see in a FS2 expansion campaign?  (Read 7467 times)

Re: What would you have liked to see in a FS2 expansion campaign?
This is the difficult question.

Because some topics have already a campaign.
Actually i am not very interested into a Aftermath story. Without the NTF and Shivans, but with countless refugees.

I would like to see more a NTF campaign that plays next to the main campaign. Just because, the actions of the NTF and Aken Bosch are still a mystery.
So i would like to play a NTF Pilot that get transferred to the NTF Iceni under Aken Bosch himself, to get involved to know more about his plans :).
New ships would be more something like old ships and weapons, FS1 era types. GTF Valkyrie with Banshee.

Even this campaign lacks an epic boss fight at the end, but that was one of the main problems of Silent Threat at all :D.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:37:56 am by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline CT27

It's an interesting issue you guys have brought up.  If the expansion campaign was released today it would probably have similar ideas to at least one of the user made campaigns that has already been released over the years.
However, if the expansion campaign had been released soon after FS2 (like expansion campaigns usually are released soon after a 'main' game) in say 2000 or 2001 then this wouldn't have been a problem.

There's plenty of room to expand the Vasudan side of things. A campaign that follows the campaign from a Vasudan perspective (as a imperfect mirror of the main campaign, including being briefly transferred to the Aquitane as part of the exchange program) or expanding upon the NTF and the 18 months preceding the campaign would offer quite a bit of room for addition. And in the same vein that Silent Threat added only a few new craft, the Vasudan campaign could give the Vasudan's equivalent of the top-end fighters you get at the end of the campaign.

And, with a bit of luck, you could tie it in with BP continuity as it delves so deep into Vasudan stuff.

There's plenty of room to expand the Vasudan side of things. A campaign that follows the campaign from a Vasudan perspective (as a imperfect mirror of the main campaign, including being briefly transferred to the Aquitane as part of the exchange program)

Haha, that's literally how I conceptualized my mod many years ago, except you don't get tranferred on the Aquitaine, but another Terran destroyer that also gets destroyed (not by the Sath though). Heck, it's even called "A Vasudan Point of View".

Offline docfu

I started writing a campaign about three years ago. Maybe it is closer now to fan fiction than a campaign ever could be, but I visualized Freespace 3 being drastically different from the first two. Namely because FS3 will probably never be made, but also because I feel the rules of combat have drastically changed since 20 years ago. The F35 fighter, for instance, need not compromise its stealth because it can launch missiles from nearby warships, and the navy's new cruiser can hit a target over the horizon with more muzzle velocity that the old rounds had leaving the barrel. Coupled with lasers and the ridiculously high rate of fire anti-missile guns, well there is a reason game flight sims are modeled mentally after WW2 dogfights, that's what people want because it's interactive.

So in my reimagining, the player felt very disconnected from the game. In fact, the game part was pretty much broken because the missions i wrote were more like interactive cutscenes and the player filled a mostly non-combat/observer role, because any real fighting would be carried out by high visible automated warships/drones, thus removing the player from danger as much as possible. The actual missions that the player DOES fight in, for training purposes, are actually simulator missions using UEF style ships vs ONLY freespace 1 shivans. Thus it's sort of a TV tribute with reruns, reliving the glory of yesterday while having no idea what the next war really would be like...

Sol is alone as the GTVA has already been wiped out and the jump node never reopened. Earth waits, listening anxiously, but all it hears is silence...

...and then they return. Black as the night, silent as the moon and ready to welcome us into the void.

So If anyone is interested and i will try to dig it up and finish it.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Commanding capships, FPS options for boarding enemy ships.

EDIT: Oh, and GeoMod.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:28:23 am by Selectah »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
EDIT: Oh, and GeoMod.
Man, I haven't heard that suggestion in years.  Perhaps we might have it by the time we reach FSO 5.0?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I like one re-discovering Earth with the help of the Vasudens. Say....like a Vasuden expedition through a recent undiscovered jump node that was made stable enough for ship travel. On the other side, a star system with two planets in the habitable zone with two weak nodes. One planet's condition gives the Vasuden's a possible new home planet. A probe designed for passing through unstable, weak nodes discovered a unknown link to back to Earth. A  combined Vasuden/Terran SOC operation takes place with specially designed Reconnaissance space craft along with a new, unknown fighter type used for SOC ops for protection.
They discover ruins on both planets, one clearly Ancient in origin. The other, more recent...VERY recent and of unknown species.

As a further idea on this, that said newly discovered jump node to a far distant solar system that had a weak but workable jump note to Earth with some help also had, say like two more jump notes to unknown systems. Ever cautious about the Shivans, the additional jump nodes were not investigated yet. But once the new home planet for the Vasudens was thoroughly examined, they discovered a small, but extraordinary ruins that gave the GTVA some promising data on what happened and where the Ancients went. one piece of that data described one of the jump notes in that system.

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

It would have been interesting to see how a weakened, post -Capella GTVA dealt with the discovery of, say, an aggressive but technologically inferior species. Would we steamroll them? Try to integrate them into the alliance as cannon fodder vs the Shivans? Would we help them technologically so they'd be more effective in a fight against the Shivans, or hold back our knowledge in case they turned it against us one day?
How about we be that inferior species when some subspace travelers knock on the door and give us this sweet deal?

First war on Shivans, then we figure we've been suckered, then war on our supposedly tech savvy mentors who seem to be busy exploiting the resources of GTVA space while the Terrans and Vasudans are busy being cannon meat in some far away place.

P.S. Oh dear, it's been a while...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

I think a Bosch/Shivan focused story would have been (or could still be!!!!!!) the best route for an expansion to FS2.  There were a few HUGE plot holes in FS2 that I can think of: 1) what was Bosch's endgame; 2) what were the Shivan "com nods" in the last SOC mission; and 3) why did the Shivans destroy Capella?  I think an expansion could deal with Bosch's plan...to form an "alliance" with the Shivans, but the Shivans flip the script on Bosch.  The Shivans use Bosch and the ETAK project to somehow evolve or merge the species....maybe think Star Trek "Best of Both Worlds" meets "Event Horizon." 

It is odd that the Shivans never even attempted to wipe out the Terrans and Vasudans...an easy task considering the amount of Sathanas ships they had, so their motivations for destroying Capella must not have been about extermination...perhaps the expansion would delve into the "rebirth by destruction" themes. 

It seems like the story really needs an ending...those unresolved cliffhangers in FS2 are going to haunt me for a long time.  For as good a game and mythology as the FS universe is...it remains an incomplete one...it really needs an ending.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd have liked in a potential official FS3 circa millennial release:-
Ships;
weapons;
Music;
Epic campaign with branching and multiple endings;
Story conclusion?
New weapon types and engine features.

soooooooo SCP achieves this.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CT27

I'd have liked in a potential official FS3 circa millennial release:-
Ships;
weapons;
Music;
Epic campaign with branching and multiple endings;
Story conclusion?
New weapon types and engine features.

soooooooo SCP achieves this.

What do you mean by SCP achieves this?  I don't recall a campaign that has branching and multiple endings today.

Beyond the Red Line had a lot of alternative endings, as it recognized you trying to keep the people who die off-screen on-screen and protecting them anyway (and if they still die the brass blames you instead!). Diaspora had a lot of contingencies for your performance during previous missions as well, Karajorma might know how many there actually are.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Also that campaign with a mini carrier lost beyond the nebula. I can't remember it's name though  :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline CT27

Also that campaign with a mini carrier lost beyond the nebula. I can't remember it's name though  :nervous:

Uncharted Territory

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The one I did some voice acting on yes :nod;
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline CT27

There was voice acting for that?

I just played it not that long ago and I don't remember it having voice acting.

Where do you download the VA version of it?

I think a Bosch/Shivan focused story would have been (or could still be!!!!!!) the best route for an expansion to FS2.

This would be cool. You could have the player be a part of an elite NTF squad during the later half of the FS2 timeline (and maybe after!). It would tell some of the same story - from a different perspective - and it would reveal a bunch of new "top secret" information about the NTF and Bosch's plans. You would be fighting the Shivans for the most part, though the GTVA could be involved as well.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Freespace 3 would end in fire.....or would it.....

If it or a expansion pack was made, it would have to do a better job of making the player feel like a pilot. It would need plenty of cutscenes of on ship life and interaction with other named pilots so that you actually feel part of your squad and the realities of it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:22:04 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why?