Author Topic: What became of the Freespace IP?  (Read 5766 times)

Offline CT27

What became of the Freespace IP?
A few months ago or so there was talk on here about Interplay selling some of its old IPs (including Freespace) I think.

Some on here even talked about the possibility of them entering a bid for the rights to Freespace (though they admitted it was a longshot).

How did the auction turn out?  Do we know who ended up with the rights to Freespace?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What became of the Freespace IP?
The auction happened, but to the best of my knowledge, noone has announced the results. For what it's worth, the relevant info on FS2's steam page hasn't changed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Nobody made it public at the time, and, AFAIK, no announcements have been made since.

If a public company bought it, we should have seen the announcement pretty soon after it happened, so that suggests it went to a private game studio, which means we may not hear about it for awhile.

Look out for announcements of a new Earthworm Jim game, that's most likely what we'll see first from whoever bought them.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's entirely possible that nobody won the bid; Interplay may have been looking for a certain minimum that they failed to get. After all, their IP library is still making them money, so unless they got an offer good enough to offset that, they'd want to hold onto it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

You could always release Blue Planet as standalone and find out the hard way  :nervous:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Most likely Nordic Games have them, because they buy every IP that is on the market.  :rolleyes:

But i hope not  :)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART hinted on his discord that the asking price for Freespace's IP was a pretty significant amount, but he refused to disclose what kind of range it was exactly.

So
It's entirely possible that nobody won the bid; Interplay may have been looking for a certain minimum that they failed to get. After all, their IP library is still making them money, so unless they got an offer good enough to offset that, they'd want to hold onto it.
may very well be true.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline CT27

Some said some IPs were bundled together.  Was that true or was Freespace's IP able to be bought separately (whether or not it was actually bought)?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
AFAIK all the IPs were bundled together, but Interplay was playing things very close to the chest, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You could always release Blue Planet as standalone and find out the hard way  :nervous:

That's the hope!

Offline Luis Dias

Wait what? Are you willing to do that?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Always wanted to, with the modpack crippled so you couldn't play the FS2 campaign if someone gave you the mission files.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't see how would that help in the slightest regarding the IP, tbh, although I do agree we would definitely become aware of who is in charge of it.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I asked our favorite potential future FS3 developer, who is always right about things, about how much was asked for Freespace's IP. Since I don't remember anyone on hlp ever getting an actual number on this.
According to him:

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That is ridiculous.  Unless they're going with "the big ask".  I would counter with $10,000 and no profit sharing, then see what they say.

Props to Derek Smart for finding out, though.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Not that it makes a hill of difference for FS2, but Tachyon and all Novalogic's IPs were bought up by THQnordic.
Been trying to reach out to them for a while now.

It'd be funny to see both franchises under the same company.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Kon

• KonQuesting on Twitch
If all of the IPs were bundled together, that would explain the $1 million + profit sharing quote.

If you managed to get out of profit sharing, it would be a steal for any publisher. There's no shortage of people who would be willing to Kickstart at least that much for MDK, Giants, Earthworm Jim, etc.

Descent alone has seen two competing spiritual sequels in the past few years.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:17:22 pm by Kon »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
No idea. The bid I had put in was on the other of $10-15k just for Freespace. Was definitely turned down. When I inquired whom got the winning bit, they mentioned they could not tell whom was the winner due to it still being ongoing at the time. I will send a follow up email and see if they are willing to disclose it now.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Not that it makes a hill of difference for FS2, but Tachyon and all Novalogic's IPs were bought up by THQnordic.
Been trying to reach out to them for a while now.

It'd be funny to see both franchises under the same company.
So far THQ Nordic is known from bringing old franchices back to life, with new Darksiders, new Titan Quest expansion with updated visuals, and of course SpellForce III. And their games are seriously good! Their marketing model is based on nostalgia.

I'm not saying anything but... Well, why not :P ?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No idea. The bid I had put in was on the other of $10-15k just for Freespace. Was definitely turned down. When I inquired whom got the winning bit, they mentioned they could not tell whom was the winner due to it still being ongoing at the time. I will send a follow up email and see if they are willing to disclose it now.

Any response to this?  Whoops, missed the new thread.