Author Topic: Simulated Speech Problems  (Read 2557 times)

Simulated Speech Problems
Simulated speech isn't working in any part of the game, and I can't figure out why. I've tried setting it to play for briefings, in-mission and in the tech room in the launcher, but it doesn't work in any of them. I tried running the launcher in Administrator mode, but that didn't work either.

I tried searching through the Hard-Light forums for a solution, but the only thing potentially useful I found was an FAQ mentioning how some versions of FS2_Open don't have simulated speech functional. Is that the case for Diaspora?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Simulated Speech Problems
I thought that Diaspora was fully voice acted, so you shouldn't need simulated speech?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It is, but if you're playing 3rd person missions, you could use the simulated speech.

It's quite possible (probable even) that the build we shipped didn't have simulated speech activated when I built it. You can use any later build which does have speech though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I already have the 1.1 and 1.1.1 updates installed. Or are you talking about something different?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, I meant something like FS2_Open 3.7.4. That should have voice synth built in and should work fine with Diaspora.

Ok. I tried running the fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2 application, and got this:
Hidden Text: Error Message • Show
Web cursor bitmap not found.  This is most likely due to one of three reasons:
   1) You're running FreeSpace Open from somewhere other than your FreeSpace 2 folder;
   2) You've somehow corrupted your FreeSpace 2 installation, e.g. by modifying or removing the retail VP files;
   3) You haven't installed FreeSpace 2 at all.  (Note that installing FreeSpace Open does NOT remove the need for a FreeSpace 2 installation.)
Number 1 can be fixed by simply moving the FreeSpace Open executable file to the FreeSpace 2 folder.  Numbers 2 and 3 can be fixed by installing or reinstalling FreeSpace 2.

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 213 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! Error + 230 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! gr_init + 865 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! game_init + 656 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! game_main + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! WinMain + 222 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2.exe! __scrt_common_main_seh + 253 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUnicodeStringToInteger + 595 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUnicodeStringToInteger + 542 bytes
If I understand the error message correctly, the problem stems from the fact that I don't own a copy of Freespace 2; I just downloaded Diaspora. Does this mean if I want to get simulated speech working, I'd have to go buy the game?

Also, I saw on that page you linked that there's a newer version of the wxLauncher. Should I get that, or is the one that came with Diaspora fine?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:47:10 pm by CapnQwerty »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope, the problem is that the file isn't in the Diaspora folder. As soon as you put it in the same folder as the other copies of FS2_Open, it should start to work.

Yep, that did it. Thank you very much!