Author Topic: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch  (Read 183684 times)

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Re: The Darkest Dawn is Cleared for Launch
As I was told now (good that others of the team have a better memory than I do :D) the Bloodfangs were dropped because with the player flying an Excalibur they wouldn't have stood out enough through their fighters alone to make such a great challenge. Without heavy scripting even Bloodfangs would have gone down against the player flying an Excalibur. So I guess it may have become anticlimatic instead of cool.

And Bladekiss was indeed planned to fly a Sorthak, and because she didn't canonically die the player would have killed her.
The fact that she is a priestess would also have served as an interesting hook for her in-flight messages. She could for example have hinted on the Kn'thrak while dying, seeing the truth in the prophecies.

And about the Bullseye-thing: The Kilrathi like that sort of thing. They _want_ people to know who they are. It is part of their culture, which is also the reason why most aces fly custom painted fighters. And dying in a fight against someone who shows the courage and skill to attack and kill them is a good death for a Kilrathi.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I ment isnt the royal family know for backstabbing each other for position?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
The source that introduces Bladekiss says Thrakhath doesn't fear Bladekiss because females can't be emperor. So she's better off using him (the Sivar cult has some power, even over the ruling clan's leaders) instead of killing him. And she is of more use for him alive than dead, and she knows that.

Funny thing with that: Newer sources tell us that there were females leading the Kilrathi. The grandmother of the Kilrathi Emperor Joor'rad (the old WC3 guy) was Empress Graknala. So either the "Females can't lead" is a new policy or those sources contradict each other.

Also keep in mind that Kilrathi prefer backstabbing Kilrathi of other clans. In most cases they seem to prefer not to assassinate their own hrai.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Perhaps Graknala was a special case. If she declared herself to be a man (if she was in position to become the Empress, she could also easily do that), she could become an Emperor without violating any rules (Empress might've just been an imperfect Terran translation). This was known to happen in human history too.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Good idea!
I'm not sure but I think we don't know much about her anyway. She is mentioned in, like, one sentence.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
BTW, where was Bladekiss introduced? I can't find any mention of her at CIC.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Yeah, that's kinda strange. I also was surprised that there isn't a WCPedia article or something about her.
She is mentioned in the "series bible" of the animated series.
You can download it here:
http://download.wcnews.com/files/academy/series_bible_11-27-95.pdf

Also keep in mind that Kilrathi prefer backstabbing Kilrathi of other clans. In most cases they seem to prefer not to assassinate their own hrai.

Where does this come from? I don't remeber an sources, and Fleet Action says  something completely different - that assasination is a concept completely alien to Kilrathi culture

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Yeah, that's a weird thing, because various sources say different things. The Forstchen books are the newer source, and it is possible that Forstchen did not read the series bible (that was written in 1995) or just ignored it.

The series bible (I linked it above) says:
"Prince Thrakhath clawed, connived and murdered his way to the throne." and also that "he lives in constant fear of assassination" and that "he wages a constant war against his enemies."

Also we have an example in the game: Khasra tries to murder Thrakhath at least once. So I also was a bit surprised when I read that the Kilrathi are not supposed to know assassination. But perhaps it was just the way of killing other Kilrathi Forstchen meant: Without personal risk or challenge, stabbing in the back without a fight. That is indeed something uncommon, while struggles between Kilrathi are not at all uncommon, not even in Forstchen's books.

Yeah we could probably assume that Kilrathi need an "honourable challenge", we just really don't know what constitutes honourable in their society really

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Well, at least we know some example what doesn't: Blowing someone's ship up by sabotage, or using poisoned food.
Attacking from behind isn't necessarily dishonorable, since a good sneak attack shows a hunter's skill, but it may be frowned upon if the enemy is a warrior.

So it also depends on who is the enemy. If I recall correctly we hear about it in the Heart of the Tiger novel. Melek is shocked by Thrakhath's plan with the bioweapons because that is not the way a warrior should behave, and Thrakhath explains to him that he doesn't consider it dishonorable because the humans are no warriors but prey animals.

And if you think about it: That's just the way we see it as well: Stabbing or shooting people in the back is not considered to be honorable, but nobody complains about a huntsman shooting a deer or boar from far away and possibly from behind.

So Thrakhath's murdering his way to the throne may for example mean the following: Imagine another Kilrathi that is of imperial blood is born. Thrakhath fears he might be dangerous for him one day, so he waits until the other Kilrathi is just old enough to be challenged, knowing that it is far less likely that a young Kilrathi beats him (who is a veteran already) in a duel.
Then he finds a reason to be offended by him and challenges him to a duel. He kills him and it is honorable because the younger Kilrathi (theoretically) had a chance of winning. Still from our point of view this is just murder.
He may also transfer him to a "very honorable post" (which means near the front line, hoping he is killed). Isn't there even a story in the bible where King David or so kills a hot woman's husband like that? (I'm not a bible expert but I think I remember the story) It is basically the same thing. He didn't murder him in person but letting him fight in the first line of battle is as good as a death sentence, especially if Thrakhath knows that he isn't a particularly good pilot.

Offline est1895

Hi there.  I have just one question.  When you extract the files from the WC:DD, do you put them into a folder or is there another way?  In addition, I have saved the game on a DVD disc using the UDF format (bigger than 2gigs).  :shaking:

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Well, normally you should just use the installer. It will put the game into a folder you can specify and will also install OpenAL and create shortcuts and stuff.
Or maybe I just don't understand the question.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think he's trying to set WCS as a FSO mod, so by putting files into its own mod folder.

WCS is standalone, which means it has its own exe and should be installed somewhere else, entirely independant from FSO. WCS can be run on FSO with a few lightweight table edits and some not-so-lightweight mission edits, but you won't find that in what's released anywhere.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline est1895

Well, normally you should just use the installer. It will put the game into a folder you can specify and will also install OpenAL and create shortcuts and stuff.
Or maybe I just don't understand the question.

Ummmm... where is the installer?  Friends, I have found the installer.  All you have to do is double click on setup.exe.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:14:40 pm by est1895 »

I have a little snag, and no time to read through the forums to find out if someone else has had the same issue. Whenever there's voice acting in-game, and the comms animation (head animation) appears, the game slows down significantly and starts stuttering. I have circumvented this by turning the animations off. I would post an error log, but I've apparently forgotten how to make one, and randomly searching the forums and the wiki hasn't yet given results. Can someone reming me where I can find the error log. Shouldn't it be generated in freespace2/data or Wing Commander Saga/data every time you've run the game. Or something. Fs2_open.log?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Fat chance, WCS has not released debug builds. Which means you have to go ask the devs to send you one.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I see. Well, it's not that bad, I can switch the anims off. Just thought it worth reporting.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
As a community we know of issues that were in the build WCS branched from, but to know if this is the problem we need a error log file, these are only created by the debug builds of the engine that MatthTheGeek mentioned.

If you haven't already update your graphics drivers to the latest version. but beyond that there is not a lot we can do.  Out of interest what graphics card and driver combo are you running?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Nobody is to blame for the lack of debug builds but the WCS team.  They consider them developer tools rather than something a player would need to generate logs in case of a bug.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems