Author Topic: Oh, sweet Jesus...  (Read 14716 times)

Everyones favorite Coke-machine-hating megalomaniac is back with yet another game, GALACTIC COMMAND!

May God have mercy on all our Souls...
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Axem

And he also takes the time to insult us again. How wonderful. ;)

Oh, I loved this part of the article.

Just ask the devs of the recent DarkStar One how it did at retail. Here's a hint. It tanked. Spectacularly. And lets not even get into the North American numbers for X3, even with all its reviews.

So with that, I felt that since my games sell numbers that keep me in business...

Obviously this guy has to be smarter than we thought. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh man, I saw this on Warpstorm. I can already see the problems coming up, especially graphics wise. The maps are blurry, the station there looks EXTREMELY reminiscient of Deep Space 9, and since when was space purple?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Like all my games, KnightBlade is going to be a first of its kind on the XB360 or any console for that matter. The first time it is revealed (shots, demo etc), it will come as a surprise to an industry that has associated me with complex games designed for a niche audience and with no hopes of doing the PC to console crossover that so many of my peers are doing.

\spartan hangs head and cries

Derek Smart my asymptote....

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, if he wants to write it, it's up to him to be honest. It's his money, and it's not as if he's forcing anyone to pay for a copy.

If it makes you feel better, think of it as pretty much confirmation that nothing is happening on the FS3 front as far as he is concerned. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does anyone else think that graphics engine looks comparable to retail FS2? (which is over 7 years old now)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Does anyone else think that graphics engine looks comparable to retail FS2? (which is over 7 years old now)

It does, and I'll bet you anything it's a modified FS2_Open engine.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

If it makes you feel better, think of it as pretty much confirmation that nothing is happening on the FS3 front as far as he is concerned. :)

It does make me feel better. Sorta....
Derek Smart::snipe:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well it seems that "IP" is the word of the day.

I'm a wee bit disappointed at those textures, they're even lower resolution than in some of the shots shown back during the War of the Dereks.

In thumbnail size the screenshots actually look nice, but at full scale... yuck.

However with a blur and bloom shader that would put Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow to shame, it'd look passably tacky in a Derek fashion ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

It's not, you can see from the screenshots it's based on the BC3000AD engine. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, if we were a bunch a 'idiots who didn't matter', then we aren't any more, he's identified us in an official interview, therefore giving us relevance. Strange behaviour, but there you go.

I've never played his games, so I can't comment on those.

Now, to be honest, unless this thread actually takes a relevant turn rather than 'We hate DS', then it will end up locked, I'm not sure how flaming people who aren't even here stands under the Forum guidelines, but I think I could hazard a pretty accurate guess :)

Edit : To clarify, if you don't like the look of the graphics etc, say so, but leave the 'I hate DS' comments out, there's really no point to them any more :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:39:31 pm by Flipside »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

It's not, you can see from the screenshots it's based on the BC3000AD engine. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, if we were a bunch a 'idiots who didn't matter', then we aren't any more, he's identified us in an official interview, therefore giving us relevance. Strange behaviour, but there you go.

heh, I just saw that paragraph. I like how we're all a bunch of idiots because we'd rather have the original game developers make another Freespace.

Anyway, I myself have never played Battlecruiser 3000AD. But from the screenshots it looks a hell of a lot like FSO. (minus the crappy textures. by god, if that's what the final release will look like...)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

I've never played his games, so I can't comment on those.

Now, to be honest, unless this thread actually takes a relevant turn rather than 'We hate DS', then it will end up locked, I'm not sure how flaming people who aren't even here stands under the Forum guidelines, but I think I could hazard a pretty accurate guess :)

Edit : To clarify, if you don't like the look of the graphics etc, say so, but leave the 'I hate DS' comments out, there's really no point to them any more :)

well, considering that it's supposedly "new" and revolutionary, other than the specular mapping, it doesn't look anything more spectatuclar than FS2 retail.. and the said specular looks overused and makes everything there look -flat-..

Textures need a LOT of work, too. some of them look exceedingly bland, and/or blurry.

and isn't space supposed to be black or a real deep blue color?

offhand, i'd say the SCP has beaten him to the punch in terms of quality for a fraction of the running costs.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Personally, I'd agree, one only has to look at something like the BtRL Mod to see the difference, visually, I'd say the SCP has the edge on it by quite a serious amount. I suppose the real test is playability, a good game with mediocre graphics is still a good game, but we'll wait and see on that count.

And let's face it, we might run at infinitely less cost, but he makes infinitely more profit ;)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Personally, I'd agree, one only has to look at something like the BtRL Mod to see the difference, visually, I'd say the SCP has the edge on it by quite a serious amount. I suppose the real test is playability, a good game with mediocre graphics is still a good game, but we'll wait and see on that count.

And let's face it, we might run at infinitely less cost, but he makes infinitely more profit ;)

or infinitely more loss, inversely.

the fact is, that the SCP isn't making money off this, they're not losing money, either, really. they haven't got anything to lose, just everything to gain, especially the eye of a pro development house for their efforts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:28:11 am by Turnsky »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what a disgustingly arrogant piece of ****

his game looks like crap

and for him to call anyone an idiot is unbelievable

how he manages not to kill himself for being so disgusting is completly incredible

Derek Smart: Not to much to tell really. The story, though quite good and engaging, is the usual run-of-the-mill fare thats just there to give some semblance of a purpose.

and.... om..., please god, strike that retarded piece of trash down with ritcheous fury

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
what a disgustingly arrogant piece of ****

his game looks like crap

and for him to call anyone an idiot is unbelievable

how he manages not to kill himself for being so disgusting is completely incredible

Derek Smart: Not to much to tell really. The story, though quite good and engaging, is the usual run-of-the-mill fare thats just there to give some semblance of a purpose.

and.... om..., please god, strike that retarded piece of trash down with righteous fury

We have a spell check button now for a reason, try using it.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You know Derek Smart may not think we count but I wish he could see what Volition thought about the idea of him making a sequel to their game. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Wait, what did Volition think of him making FS3? I don't remember them ever making a statement or telling us how they felt.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wait, what did Volition think of him making FS3? I don't remember them ever making a statement or telling us how they felt.

Sandwich posted an email which he then pulled, as DaveB didn't want the exact contents public; the gist was along the lines of 'over our dead bodies' and doubting he could afford the license.

As for this, er, thing - I could honestly make better ships than that.  I'm not sure if that should be worrying or reassuring.  I love, though, how he takes a simple concept like 'space shooty' and manages to still shovel in uneccesarily complex things like ground combat.

Anyways, based on that interview we Officially Matter :D  And looking at it so far, thank all the various dieties we have Galactic Command rather than FS3.  Can you imagine if that was FS3?  Ugh.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Sandwich posted an email which he then pulled, as DaveB didn't want the exact contents public; the gist was along the lines of 'over our dead bodies' and doubting he could afford the license.

On a side note, I actually still have an old PM from him about that. Apparently he thought I was a moderator and he asked me to take it down. I need to clear out all that old stuff sometime.