Author Topic: Why shadow capships are so stupid?  (Read 7584 times)

Why shadow capships are so stupid?
Lets take some simple situation for example. Battlecrab and G'Quan facing each other. Then they ordered to atack each other.
And what does battlecrab do? It approaching the narn capship, fires couple of times and then turning and flying around G'Quan while it shooting battlecrab down.

Is there some way to handle this? I think battlecrab shouldn't turn, just hang in front of the target and shoot continuously. How to arrange this without using way points and pre-programmed behavior?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Why shadow capships are so stupid?
You should never order caps to attack each other.  The FS2_Open engine AI wasn't set up for that.  What you need to do is script cap ship battles using waypoints. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Meaning the comparision of some FS2 battles to space opera is quite fitting, as you have to literally orchestrate the individual steps the ships take, especially if you want it to look epic and fantastic.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

That's pretty sad :(
I mean if I'll script everything out then battle will be always all the same. What I want is unknown outcome... Is it possible anyway?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, not really. The entire premise behind the capship AI is that capital ships in FreeSpace (and, by extension, TBP) are pieces of background scenery to prettify a mission. Thus the need for the mission designer to script the battles to make them look OK.

A missions' outcome should never be left to pure chance. It should be either inevitable, or dependant on the players' skill.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well even with the ships doing waypoints and a scripted battle it doesn't mean the outcome will always be the same.  If weapons are free then they may fire and miss or a subsystem may be destroyed one time but not the next.  

You can also do things like have more then one waypoint path the ship can follow and determined it randomly at ship arrival.  Heck even 2 or more different caps arriving at different locations determined randomly at start.  
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Well, it's not so bad after all :)
Thanks for clarify things!
BTW can you advise topic for fredding questions?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

FRED board found here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=89.0
Thanks. It seems fred's going to be my new hobby.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It is possible to make intelligent capships in FS, they can be issued attack orders to make battle more dynamic, as it's unpredictable how ships will turn, so player will have to attack different turrets on each attempt and switch targets to ensure friendly victory.
The Battlecrabs have just one obvious problem. They have "capital" ship type set, which causes them to attempt broadside attack instead of head-on.
This can be changed, but requires some work and modding skills.

It is possible to make intelligent capships in FS, they can be issued attack orders to make battle more dynamic, as it's unpredictable how ships will turn, so player will have to attack different turrets on each attempt and switch targets to ensure friendly victory.
The Battlecrabs have just one obvious problem. They have "capital" ship type set, which causes them to attempt broadside attack instead of head-on.
This can be changed, but requires some work and some modding skills.
Agree, Vorlon and Shadow vessels more like fighters then capships no matter the size. I suppose there is no ease way to turn the battlecrab into fighter.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There is a way to do it, it requires a table change, but it's simeple.
It may cause the Battlecrab to act awkwardly though.

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
If you do this, the heavy beams of the G'Quan (or something) will not attack the First Ones Capships.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's another problem, if you will set a capship as fighter, it would not be attacked by anti-capship beams and cannons.

Understood. I suppose FS2 engine wasn't designed for that kind of a ship like battlecrabs.

I have one related question: I've noticed that capships which have many turrets (don't mean beam turrets) actually didn't use them at full rate. I mean the turrets don't fire like hell on closest target until the energy went out, instead they fire from time to time in a very lazy manner. Like there is no danger around. The only chance to get shot by turrets is flying around all alone, because when you fly in wing it's almost no chance they hit you. In that way these turrets literally useless no matter the quantity.
How to made them fire constantly, like in episodes where B5 defense greed activated.
I suppose it's the same stupidity like in case with shadow battlecrabs.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Turret fire rate is defined by 3 things:

1) The weapon refire rate of the weapon mounted on the turret, defined in weapons.tbl
2) The AI setting of the turret (NOT the ship, but the turret itself!)
3) The difficulty setting (Capship weapons will fire more often and more accurately the higher the difficulty is)

EDIT: This was slightly wrong, turrets use the same AI class as the ship
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:51:00 am by The E »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have one related question: I've noticed that capships which have many turrets (don't mean beam turrets) actually didn't use them at full rate. I mean the turrets don't fire like hell on closest target until the energy went out, instead they fire from time to time in a very lazy manner. Like there is no danger around. The only chance to get shot by turrets is flying around all alone, because when you fly in wing it's almost no chance they hit you. In that way these turrets literally useless no matter the quantity.
How to made them fire constantly, like in episodes where B5 defense greed activated.
I suppose it's the same stupidity like in case with shadow battlecrabs.

The Fury AI will fix this.

Turret fire rate is defined by 3 things:

1) The weapon refire rate of the weapon mounted on the turret, defined in weapons.tbl
2) The AI setting of the turret (NOT the ship, but the turret itself!)
3) The difficulty setting (Capship weapons will fire more often and more accurately the higher the difficulty is)

EDIT: This was slightly wrong, turrets use the same AI class as the ship
I'm always playing on insane and AI is set to perfect. Still fire intensity is not high enough.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Again, you need to use a custom AI profile like the Fury AI. Warships normally have a random turret refire delay and a cap on the number of turrets they can fire at once.