General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

joystick 'twist' and throttle?

(1/1)

flapsio:
Hi all,

I have a Saitek AV8R-01 joystick that is configured propely in Windows - within the Windows calibration screens I can see when I use the throttle and twist the joystick.

What I want to do is use these functions within freespace. All the buttons and switches (about 11 of them) are recognised within freespace when I assigned functions to them. The ship moves up down/left right when i move the joystick.

However I can't work out how to make the ship spin on it's axis when I twist the joystick, nor can I get it to accel/decel when I use the throttle. I've tried using the Force0/Force1 options in the launcher options with no improvement. When I select the appropriate command in the freespace config screens it ignores input from the joystick.

Any ideas?

Wanderer:
Did you define the twist and throttle as axis?

flapsio:
Actually scratch some of that. Having looked into things further it turns out I was using version 5 of the launcher along with the retail freespace 2 (just getting into this!)

Now I've got launcher 5.5c and freespace2 open. The twist is working, which is nice, but I still can't use my throttle to increase/decreas speed! :(

flapsio:

--- Quote from: Wanderer on July 30, 2007, 10:35:24 am ---Did you define the twist and throttle as axis?

--- End quote ---

If you mean within windows then no, it's got 'twist' and 'throttle 1/throttle 2' (though physically on the joystick you can clip them together to make it one').

Or do you mean within freespace itself?

edit: oh yeah i get it now - the axes within the config screens. Yep - it works perfectly thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

One last question, what's the difference in the game between relative and absolute throttle?

karajorma:
Relative would be for things like a mousewheel (although support for actual mousewheels is only coming in 3.7). You spin up your ship gets faster. Spin down and it slows down.

Joystick throttles on the other hand tend to have a minimum and maximum which means that you need to use absolute throttle on them so that pushing to max = max speed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version