General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

The state of audio (OpenAL) in FreeSpace 2 Open

<< < (3/7) > >>

Fury:

--- Quote from: Lykurgos88 on December 04, 2013, 01:10:42 pm ---- Now the wxLauncher cannot find OpenAL! I cannot change any audio options, like sample rate or playback device.

--- End quote ---
That's because wxLauncher doesn't know to look for it in the FSO dir. It can look for it in any dir in system path or in its own dir. If you use wxLauncher, you have following options:
- Instead of using FSO dir, put the dll file to any of the directories included in system path.
- Add FSO dir to your system path.

I might add that the old launcher wouldn't have this problem as it is stand-alone executable residing in FSO dir.

AdmiralRalwood:

--- Quote from: Fury on December 04, 2013, 01:55:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: Lykurgos88 on December 04, 2013, 01:10:42 pm ---- Now the wxLauncher cannot find OpenAL! I cannot change any audio options, like sample rate or playback device.

--- End quote ---
That's because wxLauncher doesn't know to look for it in the FSO dir. It can look for it in any dir in system path or in its own dir. If you use wxLauncher, you have following options:
- Instead of using FSO dir, put the dll file to any of the directories included in system path.
- Add FSO dir to your system path.

--- End quote ---
Couldn't you also just copy the .dll to the wxLauncher folder, instead of (*shudder*) making your FSO folder a system path?

Fury:
You can, but then you would need to remember to keep the dll in not one, but two dirs. Be easier if you just copy the file to any of the dirs in system path, like system32. Or syswow64 if you're on 64-bit Windows. Or just add FSO to system path, nothing wrong with that. A lot of **** gets added to the path variable already, just go look at yours.

And of course, this is only up until SCP gets around to bundle OpenAL Soft in the executable instead of relying on external linking. But since wxLauncher wouldn't know that either, it also needs to bundle the dll either externally or within the executable.

AdmiralRalwood:

--- Quote from: Fury on December 04, 2013, 11:50:28 pm ---Or just add FSO to system path, nothing wrong with that. A lot of **** gets added to the path variable already, just go look at yours.

--- End quote ---
I keep my PATH variable carefully pruned, thank you very much.

iVoid:
Thanks for this, it even helps to make FSO portable, which is nice. Couple questions:

Can I use the x64 binaries if I have a 64bit OS?

And can I use the libraries included in this package to compile FSO instead of the ones from creative? If so, is there any advantage to that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version