Author Topic: need some help please  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Co2260

need some help please
so like many others Covid-19 left me unemployed but with lots of free time, and so I decided to go back to Freespace I freaking LOVED! this game when I was a kid, so I do my research dust off my old Thrustmaster joystick, head over to GOG and buy the game and downloaded Knossos 0.14.0 - installed the Freespace port media vps (want to start from Freespace 1 again) and everything is working fine.

but the hud is tiny!!!, I have found no instructions on how to fix this in Knossos. please help

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: need some help please
If you have the problem I think you have, which is that the screen doesn't fill your monitor, then activate Knossos, go to the Pulldown menu of the MediaVPs (the black button with the white down arrow) on the bottom of the MediaVPs, Select "FSO Setting", select "Gameplay" of that pulldown menu and click on "Stretch Interface to fill Screen". If that's the problem I'm thinking of, that should fix it.

If it's a resolution problem, though, that I have no idea how to fix. :(
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Co2260

If you have the problem I think you have, which is that the screen doesn't fill your monitor, then activate Knossos, go to the Pulldown menu of the MediaVPs (the black button with the white down arrow) on the bottom of the MediaVPs, Select "FSO Setting", select "Gameplay" of that pulldown menu and click on "Stretch Interface to fill Screen". If that's the problem I'm thinking of, that should fix it.

If it's a resolution problem, though, that I have no idea how to fix. :(

Thanks for the help, but I'm not talking about the menu I don't care its 4:3 aspect ration (better than stretch for sure), I'm talking about the in-game HUD (objectives, ship details exact...), I should have mentioned I'm running the game on a 2560X1440 monitor

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Ok, I'm not 100% familiar with Knossos, so I can't give a quick fix, but I can tell you why this is happening:

It's because the HUD elements are always drawn at their base resolution, in other words; they don't resize.

It can be made to resize with a setting, but it's not a normal game setting that you can access, the actual file that defines the HUD itself has to be modded.

I don't know where Knossos puts the mod/game files, so someone else will have to post instructions on what directory to go to and/or create, but once you have a .TBM file (opened with notepad) called "mv_root-hdg.tbm" there should be a line of code that says: "$Scale Gauges: NO" replace the NO with a YES and that should make the HUD much bigger.

Please Note: Everything I just typed is useless unless someone with knowledge on how to make mods using Knossos posts in this thread with a specific explanation of what directory to find and where to create/edit the needed file.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Co2260

Ok, I'm not 100% familiar with Knossos, so I can't give a quick fix, but I can tell you why this is happening:

It's because the HUD elements are always drawn at their base resolution, in other words; they don't resize.

It can be made to resize with a setting, but it's not a normal game setting that you can access, the actual file that defines the HUD itself has to be modded.

I don't know where Knossos puts the mod/game files, so someone else will have to post instructions on what directory to go to and/or create, but once you have a .TBM file (opened with notepad) called "mv_root-hdg.tbm" there should be a line of code that says: "$Scale Gauges: NO" replace the NO with a YES and that should make the HUD much bigger.

Please Note: Everything I just typed is useless unless someone with knowledge on how to make mods using Knossos posts in this thread with a specific explanation of what directory to find and where to create/edit the needed file.

progress! Thanks, I opened the folder where Knossos stores all the mods (you can check where Knossos stores everything under the options tab by default it is a folder under C:\games\freespace open\), but no luck finding the file, (only on the Blueplanet subfolder, but not the Freespace port or media VPS.
any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:05:30 am by Co2260 »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Well, the problem is you have to create the directory, try going into the "FSPort-media.VPs" subfolder and making a folder called "data" then go into that and add "tables" then put the attachment at the bottom of this post inside it:

Assuming it's put in the right place, it should work.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Co2260

Well, the problem is you have to create the directory, try going into the "FSPort-media.VPs" subfolder and making a folder called "data" then go into that and add "tables" then put the attachment at the bottom of this post inside it:

Assuming it's put in the right place, it should work.

worked like a charm!, Thanks!!! really appreciate it/