Author Topic: Witcher 3 : Hearts of Stone  (Read 1297 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Witcher 3 : Hearts of Stone
So the first of the Witcher 3 paid DLCs is released today. I'm still downloading it. Anyone playing yet? My only comment so far is.....

That's a big frog!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snarks

Re: Witcher 3 : Hearts of Stone
Played a fair bit. So far, it just feels like more Witcher, which is a good thing. They've managed to make the plot intriguing and the characters are pretty well developed. My only complaint is that the gameplay feels a little less polished.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I just finished the plot, but i got a pretty sad ending, so I want to go beat (or at least get a good way into) new game + before i start in on any DLCs
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Snarks

Spoilers on this post:

There's this small bit where you're talking to Countess Mignole and she mentions her past with Vesemir. I was playing this after the main quest line (well, before meeting with Ciri for the epilogue), and so I got the response of letting her know he had died. Now what if I was doing this quest before Kaer Morhen?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I played for 3 and a half hours and still haven't touched the main plot yet. I have noticed that the enemy seem to be a lot harder than they've been for a while. I've gotten used to fights with bandits which conisisted of me whirling in, slicing and chopping, setting off my max power igni and then breaking out the marshmallows. Try that now and you'll eat steel pretty quickly.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I'm just on New Game + and i went up one difficulty level. 

Combat definitely isn't something i can just breeze through now.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay, spent most of the day playing this game. And I'm still only partway through. When they said the game was 10 hours of gameplay, they were almost certainly talking about a quick playthrough of the main plot line with no sidequests. Right now I'm up to the bit where I'm planning a heist and I'm absolutely loving the game. In many ways I think the expansion is even better than the original game. It's like CD Project Red listened carefully to the feedback on the game and thought carefully about how they could take the old stuff people loved and make it better while making it completely original. For instance, if you've completed the 2nd main plot task (the brother, not the house)

Spoiler:
Then you'll probably see a little bit of the whole 3 Witchers drinking session from Witcher 3 in it. Except here, instead of just being a laugh out loud funny skippable section, they made is an important part of the main plot line. And I'm telling you, I'm going to replay that whole section a bunch of times. I played it mostly as a fairly refined ghost but I didn't want to see him succeed in seducing Shani. I want to see if you can charm Shani as the ghost (I didn't) and I also want to see what happens if you play it as a complete arse. Also I only played about half of the diversions.

Spoiler:
There's this small bit where you're talking to Countess Mignole and she mentions her past with Vesemir. I was playing this after the main quest line (well, before meeting with Ciri for the epilogue), and so I got the response of letting her know he had died. Now what if I was doing this quest before Kaer Morhen?[/spolier]
Not sure, but given how great this game is about plot holes, I'd bet money they recorded different dialogue in case of that. I'm definitely going to try to see next time I replay the game. I literally swore I would play the game again and get to that point with him alive.

Similarly there is a bit of the game where Geralt mentions Sigfried. I wonder if that dialogue goes differently if you sided with the scoliat_  skolia_ elvish terrorists in the first and second game. 

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay, I completed it. Had a couple of really tough fights (I actually had to reduce difficulty in one fight after losing about 10 times) but over all I thought it was really good. Can't wait for the next one now.