Author Topic: Director's Cut changelog: what we did!  (Read 15137 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Director's Cut changelog: what we did!
A Kent, Uhlan, Draco, or Atalanta should absolutely die going head-on against a Nyx.  It has more guns and more total health than you do.

Do keep in mind that the Rapier got nerfed some as well.  It no longer has Kayser DPS.  It's marginally better than the Balor now.  And he's got 8, you have 4 or 6.   The Nyx is going to win a head-on.  Don't fight on his terms.

It's really not that distracting to dodge trebs, you can totally destroy the artemis wing or go for the Ares/Erynes fighters while dodging them. Even on insane you shouldn't be having that much trouble if you don't try to joust with a nyx without 'jousting' missiles like the dart or the rockeye that force them to break off.

If you don't spam those then just give up the joust and use your superior manoeuvrability to get behind them and pump them full of lasers.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Soooo if I haven't played AoA in a few years, and if I only played WiH 1 and 2 once back when they were released, and if I haven't yet played WiH 3 (because I am a TERRIBLE PERSON WHO DESERVES YOUR UNDYING SCORN), will these changes jump out immediately in the "Holy crap that's awesome!" sense, or will they seem rather more subtle?  Keep in mind that my working memory is generally as porous as a fine Swiss.

The new training missions, models, remade Vishnan gear,  and the voice acting are hard to miss, but the mission tweaks, weapon/craft rebalances will probably go over your head if you can't recite the arrivals and manoeuvres of every ship from memory.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Soooo if I haven't played AoA in a few years, and if I only played WiH 1 and 2 once back when they were released, and if I haven't yet played WiH 3 (because I am a TERRIBLE PERSON WHO DESERVES YOUR UNDYING SCORN), will these changes jump out immediately in the "Holy crap that's awesome!" sense, or will they seem rather more subtle?  Keep in mind that my working memory is generally as porous as a fine Swiss.

Little of column A, little of column B. You'll see big changes right from the start of AoA, and you'll probably not even notice some of the subtler stuff.

Offline FSW

Spoiler alert.

I've recently finished the remastered WiH Acts 1 and 2.
Wow. Voice acting really does add something substantial to the experience. Delenda Est in particular is even more devastating when the player can hear beloved characters' voices crack with grief. The main cast and the director genuinely did an amazing job.

Off the top of my head, here are a few technical issues that I've noticed:

With the Age of Aquarius campaign selected (with a pilot file that has played WiH part 1), I see Database entries from WiH; such as those detailing the history of the UEF-GTVA war.

The 'Intelligence' section of the Tech Room advises the user to update their links. It would be more helpful to actually tell the user to look in the Database section, or even better duplicate the information into the tech room.

The 'Pilot's Log' in the Database never seemed to update in WiH. It's still at the first entry. Is it supposed to change?

In the opening cutscene, Admiral Petrarch's voiceover seems to begin mid-sentence.
"... the Shivan advance," he says.

Delenda Est still performs poorly at times, even on fairly modern hardware. This becomes an issue on my setup when the Katana and Altan Orde are close-range battling the last two Deimos corvettes.

The support ship almost always causes collision damage when undocking from the player's fighter.

Checkpoint and optional training selection boxes display a number before each option. This misleadingly implies that a key can be used to select that option; when in fact, it seems that the option must be selected by mouse. It would be helpful to tell the user explicitly to use their mouse.

On-screen text during cutscenes seems to have inadequate line-spacing on my setup, leading to slightly overlapping text. This is particularly evident during Samuel's and Bei's dialogue in the WiHp1 ending. I'm playing on a 1920x1080 monitor, letterboxed to 1440x1080.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Delenda Est still performs poorly at times, even on fairly modern hardware.
You can cut some of the most performance-intensive features, like shadows or deferred lighting, in the launcher, and move/rename the advanced VPs, to save a LOT of perf.

The support ship almost always causes collision damage when undocking from the player's fighter.
Yeah, known issue. The support docking paths on some of the fighters, most notably the kent, are ****ed up.

I'm playing on a 1920x1080 monitor, letterboxed to 1440x1080.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline FSW

FS2Open automatically letterboxes to a 4:3 ratio.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Uh, only the menus do that. Rest of the game should definitely not be letterboxed.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Uhm, no it doesn't. Only the briefings and mainhalls are pillarboxed, in-game you should be playing at whatever resolution your monitor supports.
If you want to stretch the briefings to 16:9 just check the 'stretch interface to fit screen' flag but if you're getting pillarboxing in-game then you've selected the wrong resolution in the launcher.

Offline FSW

Apologies; on further investigation, my setup appears to have the same issue as that mentioned here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91043.0

In any case, Blue Planet's line-spacing issue exists at 1024x768 resolution. Once I've fixed my setup I'll check at 1920x1080 too.

EDIT:
Resolution resolved. The line-spacing issue is indeed worse at 1024x768, with some overlap. However, even at 1920x1080 there is no gap.

Also, I notice that in Sunglare, the Masyaf's messages create targeting brackets pointing way off into the distance, as visible on the left edge of the attached screenshot.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:45:03 am by FSW »

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Damn, whoever acted the Gloire's lines (The Plunder), he has made a magnificent work. That voice would be excellent for some major roles. Like, I'm really interested how Indus would sound with that man speaking...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's Ransom Arceihn, who played Corey in AoA and one of the pilot personas in BP2 as well as the Gloire.

Offline FSW

The debriefing of Everything is Permitted repeats under certain conditions.
http://s3.postimg.org/4gpynb96p/wih_everything_is_permitted_debrief.jpg

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Little off topic here,
curious what you guys did to make the Lucifer so tough in COP; all the ships now fire at it and it barely loses any health, and you didn't give it special hitpoints
Stuff

The Lucy has 800000 hitpoints by default, that's 8 times as much as an Orion.

Offline Doko

And if that wasn't enough you can always give the ship damage reduction via armor.tbl

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Did the Lucifer have heavy Armour 100 in the previous bp version?
In the original version only the Orestes fires at it , and only with a BBlue
now ALL the ships fire at it, and the Orestes is at full strength, but it loses about the same amount of health
Stuff

Offline FSW

I've just finished playing the new Age of Aquarius. Much has changed since I first played it many years ago. I really enjoyed the extra touches like the Lucifer's visions; and I wasn't expecting new voice-acted lines!

On the whole, the game is easier than I remember it; and much, much easier than War in Heaven. It's fairer, but the balance on Hard still doesn't feel quite right in some missions. Friendly AI varies greatly in effectiveness, but in some cases is so competent that the mission almost completes itself. In Universal Truth, the number of enemy bombers has been greatly increased, presumably in order to balance the more powerful Terran ships. They still get effortlessly swatted away, even with what feels like minimal player input. I don't think multiplying the bombers further would be the most engaging solution, as it would further dilute the player's perceived influence on events.

Interestingly, the story seems to have changed too. Previously, my interpretation of WiH's story had been that Steele was brought into the Sol conflict relatively late, after previous admirals had failed to conclude the war. He seemed to be an upstart who gained political influence only after his victories in Sol.

The new Journey's End dialogue makes it clear that Steele was already very high up in GTVA Command, and that he gives orders even to Admiral Bei. He has been in charge of the Sol invasion plan from the beginning, and it is implied that Morpheus was at least partly his idea. Somehow, this makes Steele seem less threatening; he is partially responsible for allowing the war to drag on for over eighteen months.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Steele was Bei's alternate and when the 14th vanished they called him in as a kind of capcom. He wasn't in command.

The situation in Journey's End is exactly the kind of situation Steele tends to **** up.