Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!  (Read 42551 times)

Offline Infamus

Re: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!
Uh, guize, the N1-Harbinger is NOT a Thermonuclear bomb.

Its a Fusion bomb. WHY does it say "Thermonuclear???" (in the weapon selection description)

It would have been fine if it said "Thermonuclear Fusion Warhead. Which actually makes sense, but its not JUST a A-Bomb nuke, its a H-bomb nuke.

However the rest of the stuff is beastly. I also think the fact that you managed to get the Prom-S, Akethon SDG, and other stuff into a FS1 still .ani. nice. Oh and HiRes'ing it was epic.

Thanks for making the railgun a actual weapon that can be used.

Oh, and I have a request: you know the Debug Laser, the short-range testing laser that looks like Descent ]['s Level 6 super laser? do something cool with that.

I gave the Avenger a far better Tech description to explain its history and tweaked the Wep-Select descriptions (FSPort_Mediavps) a bit, take a look

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:10:29 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Thermonuclear implies fusion bomb, I thought.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Oh, and I have a request: you know the Debug Laser, the short-range testing laser that looks like Descent ]['s Level 6 super laser? do something cool with that.
It actually looks like something? It's been invisible for as long as I can remember to me.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Thermonuclear implies fusion bomb, I thought.
No, thermonuclear bomb means you are using the nuclear forces (the forces between the proton and neutrons) to create thermal energy.  Thermonuclear doesn't imply that you are using fission (splitting an atom) or fusion (joining two atoms).  That being said, most people assume that when you say thermonuclear bomb that you are splitting the atom.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Only the uneducated do not know that there is indeed a difference.  However, with present day technology, you cannot have a thermonuclear Fusion device that does not have an atomic nuclear fission device to initiate the reaction.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Infamus

Actually, Tesla, if he were alive today, could make a Fusion reaction without a Fission catalyst. No seriously.

oh and Thermonuclear implies that you are using the massive amounts of heat generated from a nuclear warhead, which includes the gamma rays, seeings that massive EM radiation can cause something along the lines of heat. Stating that the N-1 Harbinger is a Thermonuclear FUSION warhead just makes it specific. Its just good reasoning man.

Oh and the Debug laser may not show up on FSPort, but it DOES show up on the original Retail version of DFS: TGW.

I'll report back when i gets the textures up and working.

Edit: Update: the Debug laser does NOT use textures: it is in fact, a model. T-Laser.POF is the file name.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:05:24 pm by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

In my game my fighters aren't responding to orders to protect a ship. I have them protecting the Plato but when it gets attacked at the start of the mission (where you make first contact with the Shivans) my fighters stand by and do diddlysquat about it. The enemy AI did this in the third mission too, I destroyed an Apollo wing that was just sitting there and made no attempt to attack.

Offline Infamus

they are supposed to be "stupid" in that [defending the Plato] mission. I bought the original FS1 some time before I even came across this website; and the just sit there. They kill off the first wave real good, but when the reinforcements come, they just sit there going into formation allowing the fish-heads to kill them.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Hmm. I don't recall that ever happening before. Particularly not with the enemy AI. In the third mission (the one where Omega shows up and makes off with a cargo container at the end) there were two enemy Apollo's just sitting there letting me kill them. Makes me think something's off  :D

Offline Infamus

I was talking about your wing-men.

and no, I don't remember it happening anywhere else in FS1 Retail.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:35:44 am by Infamus »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
After once again playing through FS1 and 2 I thought hey, let's design a mission for FS1 for a change.
Fredded something rather cool until I noticed that the Karnack may have shiny hangars but fighters are unable to launch from those. Which kinda breaks the mission. Almost like the problem I had with the Orion Space Stations Hangar in TBP. Placing the AI fighters inside screws up the AI bad, they refuse to do anything else but rotate.
Tried the good old WCS launch approach with an "every-time set facing" + waypoint  but it fails utterly here.

Ideas?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What? The Karnak has fighter bay paths. Just place the wing anywhere and set the arrival location to the Karnak.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I preferred my own custom-made effects to recolors of existing effects. Sorry.

Check the new thread in FSPort Upgrade then (someone merged some of my old effect posts into that thread, which kind of annoys me, so scroll down to the bottom). I have some all-new effects courtesy of Talon1024.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Vidmaster

Just place the wing anywhere and set the arrival location to the Karnak.

I am a FRED veteran, did you really think I would have posted here if that had worked?  :lol:

What I am saying is:
FSPort, most recent version along with fsport_mediavps most recent version using Fred_Inf_3.6.12r_INF does not show me my Karnak in the list of available places to launch my wing from. My Orion and Typhon in that mission show up, the station does not. I did not modify the tables.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
How about without mediavps?  I don't have the latest version of the FSPMVPs here but I could verify that the retail-compatible model should have paths.

Offline Vidmaster

Correct, it has. DAMN! That pretty much means the mission is only playable retail at the moment, crap!
Which especially problematic because of the retail Orion model's difference in size, there are some elements in the mission that require pinpoint precision.

Hope that gets fixed in the new Karnak model. Please relay this issue to however is currently working on it, STR was waiting on that model if I remember that correctly.

well, thanks anyway.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Well, until this is fixed on our end, you can just use PCS2 to import the retail paths into the high-poly model, then package that with your mod.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Just had another support case where someone used Turey's to install the port, but experienced errors due to the port version in Turey's still being 3.1.1. Can you guys please fix this?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Edi

Okay, just to make sure, which part of the fsport does Turey's installer screw up? It's not giving me any crap about it, except for perhaps one file related to missions. Just finished the fsport main campaign though.

My main questions is: Has Silent Threat: Reborn been updated to v3.6.12?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Note the date. That was a month ago. The installer has since been updated to download the 3.2 version of the port.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns