Author Topic: 1999 vs 2018 video  (Read 10439 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi all. We have probably all seen this fantastic video comparing 1999 vanilla FS2 to the 2014 SCP Media VPs FS2. Since we now have the 3.8.X media VPs, perhaps we need a new version of this showcasing the latest eye candy. It would be gold dust for promotional purposes :-)

Any volunteers?  ;7

I would do it myself, but I have zero experience of FREDing, video editing and most likely any of the other things needed to create a video like this.  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm.  If an appropriate mission was created, it could be easily re-used for the same purpose in the future (perhaps with every MediaVPs release?), as long as it remained compatible. 

It might be something different but there was a INF trailer showing the quality leap from 2003 and new-INF but I can't find the video right now.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm.  If an appropriate mission was created, it could be easily re-used for the same purpose in the future (perhaps with every MediaVPs release?), as long as it remained compatible.

IIRC Spidey's cutscene _is_ a mission that you can download (just not sure where said download is right now)

Now that we have a sweet new Apollo model it'd be nice to replace the Herc2 in the opening sequence :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
thanks! *yoink*
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

IIRC Spidey's cutscene _is_ a mission that you can download (just not sure where said download is right now)

Now that we have a sweet new Apollo model it'd be nice to replace the Herc2 in the opening sequence :)

New Apollo? Do tell :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Hello. I made the 1999 - 2014 comparison video so I could do the same mission with the new media VPs, but maybe it should be more interesting to wait for the 20th anniversary of the game?

Hello. I made the 1999 - 2014 comparison video so I could do the same mission with the new media VPs, but maybe it should be more interesting to wait for the 20th anniversary of the game?

Why wait over a year to do that??

But I'd suggest to contact (PM) Iain Baker first, so that it can be uploaded to HLPs YT channel if you don't mind, as most FS-related content on YT is spread pver several channels.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Why wait over a year to do that??

But I'd suggest to contact (PM) Iain Baker first, so that it can be uploaded to HLPs YT channel if you don't mind, as most FS-related content on YT is spread pver several channels.

@Achille44 If you could make an up-to-date version of the video that would be great. If we can get it done by Christmas this year that would be even better. Just think, all that Christmas card money that people will need help deciding what to spend it on  ;7

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
*I quietly monetize my mods*

I've just tested the Trailer Mission in current state with the acutal MVP 3.8 and the fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX Build from 22.08.18 with wxlauncher and following startup commands:

-mod "MediaVPs_38X" -missile_lighting -3dshockwave
-post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -fb_explosions -fb_thrusters -enable_shadows -3dwarp -warp_flash
-snd_preload -ambient_factor 75 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -ogl_spec 60

It looks pretty awesome! But if there is a new video for the 20th anniversary planned there have to be some bugs fixed:
- the beams of lucifer are to small. (maybe because they are from FS2 MVP instead of FS1 Port ?)
- "we lost the vanisha, repeat: we lost the vanisha" -  there is nothing to see...  buggy camera ?
- maybe there are more, i did not see them after five times testing.
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Vanisha? It's Phoenicia :P

Swapping Lucy's beams to LRed or something like that should be trivial.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Sorry, i have bad ears :P
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline Spidey-

It looks pretty awesome! But if there is a new video for the 20th anniversary planned there have to be some bugs fixed:
- the beams of lucifer are to small. (maybe because they are from FS2 MVP instead of FS1 Port ?)
- "we lost the vanisha, repeat: we lost the vanisha" -  there is nothing to see...  buggy camera ?
- maybe there are more, i did not see them after five times testing.

The original trailer relied on some tricky timing of a few segments. The overall process was to record the trailer a few times and cut together the best versions of each shot. In particular:
1) Bombers blowing up Rakshasa should sync with voice-over.
2) "We lost the Phoenicia" would sometimes blow up before the camera cut to it. But you're right, after 5 tries, there might be a bug.
3) in the next shot "We got em..." should sync with Perseus fighters doing barrel rolls (because of course they have to)

It's been a few years since I looked at the editor, but yah it would be great to see an updated version! I'll see if I can dig up my original files.
I think it's time to update my SCP, I see there are a bunch of remastered mods out now!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you want to find it fast, use Everything (after about a minute of 1st time indexing, it will find the filename you type by the time you finish typing).