0 (0%)
Garrus
2 (8.7%)
Tali
7 (30.4%)
Joker
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Mass Effect  (Read 8073 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I gotta agree with NGTM-1R. Tali was...something else with that shotgun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I always start out using Ashley and Kaidan and then only switch when I get Tali, then bye-bye Kaidan.  About Ashley, has anyone actually explored everything she has to say?  It gets more interesting after main mission 3 (4?)  Before the last one at least.

That, and I like Tali's backstory.  I usually play as either a soldier or a biotic, so I can either have two soldiers (Opened can of whoop-ass, right there, especially past lvl 50, even on Insane difficulty) or one of each, which makes skill based stuff a LOT easier.

I always start out using Ashley and Kaidan and then only switch when I get Tali, then bye-bye Kaidan.  About Ashley, has anyone actually explored everything she has to say?  It gets more interesting after main mission 3 (4?)  Before the last one at least.
I did, and I just always hated how one-dimensional Ashley's character was. The only thing I remember her telling me was something about a High school boyfriend problem...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Her sister.  She also reads poetry :p.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
To me it's opposite. I found all characters interesting.

Ashely was one of the more interesting ones...altough I didn't like her poetry recitals. I find it strange that people describe her as one-dimensional.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

It's only because I never got anything interesting out of her.

All the other characters I loved. Especially Joker, because he's closest to who I'd probably end up being in a story like that :P
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I think that was her dad actually. I told her the poetry was crap. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

I think that was her dad actually. I told her the poetry was crap. :p

Her dad had a high-school boyfriend problem? (:lol:)

EDIT:  damn typos.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I meant that it was her dad's poetry. (I think, can't remember for sure)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
No, I'm pretty sure she quotes "O, Captain, My Captain" at least once.  I would be very surprised if that was her dad's.

Back to the original:  Yeah, she's basically a moving wooden plank for half the game, but she gets more interesting.  That's character development.  :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I meant that it was her dad's poetry. (I think, can't remember for sure)

Her dad was Tennyson? (The first one she recites was "Ulysses", and she's not bad at it.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I definitely liked Tali's backstory and character the best out of the whole ensemble. Probably because I really, really dug the history of the Quarians in general.

That said, I almost always took Ashley with me on missions. Having a soldier with you, even if you're already playing as a soldier, just makes life so much easier later on.

Right now, I'm on my second playthrough (Game+) with my soldier. Just finished Ferros and i'm already level 53, going for the character achievements with Ashley and Tali. Level X Spectre weapons kick serious ass. Although I'm worried that, since I only remembered to change the difficulty to Hardcore right before I finished Eden Prime (literally as I was walking towards the probe, but before the cutscene triggered), I might not get the achievement for it.

Great game, can't wait for the sequel.

Edit: Just found something I certainly didn't notice on my first playthrough. I'm exploring a lovely, verdant green planet with a horrifyingly toxic atmosphere, and I stumble across a Prothean ruin with a floating, silvery Sphere in the centre. I activate it, and it's triggered by a trinket that the Asari Consort on the Citadel gave me for helping her out with that Septimus douche. Suddenly, I'm treated to the life of a Cro-Magnon on Earth during the Prothean observations, with Shepard experiencing it like that TNG ep "The Inner Light". It's obscure stuff like this that really blows me away.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:53:14 am by Mefustae »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I'm exploring a lovely, verdant green planet with a horrifyingly toxic atmosphere, and I stumble across a Prothean ruin with a floating, silvery Sphere in the centre. I activate it, and it's triggered by a trinket that the Asari Consort on the Citadel gave me for helping her out with that Septimus douche. Suddenly, I'm treated to the life of a Cro-Magnon on Earth during the Prothean observations, with Shepard experiencing it like that TNG ep "The Inner Light". It's obscure stuff like this that really blows me away.

you can find this thing in various places. I found it on a green, nice world, on my first away trip actually. Gives a cool XP bonus.
Still, that sequence should have been a real side-quest, including you playing through that described sequence (including melee with a bone :lol:).

I found all characters interesting.

Same here. All. ALL. Even the Asari Consort pupil, the Volus Banker, that hidden AI, Sovereign, damn even the human ambassador. Come on, you need to have an asshole to hate too  :lol:.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Come on, you need to have an asshole to hate too 

And what an asshole he was.  Certainly vying for top asshole right behind Saren.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Saren was a sexy man.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Granted I got in a hurry and didn't explore like I should've...but there's an actual AI somewhere?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It's a side quest on the Citadel. I didn't find the AI to be anything special really. Although I wasn't displeased with it's motives and objectives.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
No, it wasn't very special. But I liked the writing.

Hey, don't say anything wrong about Saren. Saren is cool. Good badguy, well developed despite only appearing four times. Has a bit of the Vader aura upon him...  :lol:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

To me Saren just came off as an idiot indoctrinated by Soverign. He was stupid easy to kill, as was everybody else in the game. :rolleyes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Did you go through the conversations with him? He's not an idiot at all. You can even persuade him into shooting himself in the head, which was awesome.