Author Topic: 360 wireless controller support?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Terashell

• 314th Thunderheads
360 wireless controller support?
I just finished installing FSO on the steam version, since I lost my CD version years ago. I'm looking to play both campaigns again now after so long but I don't have a joystick and mouse/keyboard or just keyboard don't really work well for it.

I'd like to make my 360 controller work for it so I can pilot my spacecraft like I'm used to piloting my fighter jets in ace combat. I feel like it would be the perfect experience then. I don't have a lot of programming knowledge or troubleshooting ability, so I'm hoping there's an easy option out there compared to installing three programs and fiddling with 9000 settings.

Any ideas?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: 360 wireless controller support?
There's an antipodes upgrade in the works that should address this, at least to an extent. I'm not how SDL 2.0 handles the the Xbox controllers, whether it uses Xinput or DirectInput drivers.

In either case, I've got some things I've been wanting to experiment with controls-wise, one of them to take advantage of the analog nature of the triggers and create a 2-stage trigger control.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This game plays great with mouse/keyboard or just keyboard, though of course if that isn't your favored style that's cool.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Some people have had good experiences using xpadder, ppjoy, or other software to get their 360 controllers to work.  I prefer a joystick myself, since for me it adds to the immersion, but in multiplayer I'm sure I would get owned by the likes of Battuta using the mouse & keyboard.  :)

If you go to the main forum page (click "home" just below "news" above and search for "xbox 360 controller" there are a number of threads.  Here are a couple to get you started:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77130

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82028.0
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Terashell

• 314th Thunderheads
Some people have had good experiences using xpadder, ppjoy, or other software to get their 360 controllers to work.  I prefer a joystick myself, since for me it adds to the immersion, but in multiplayer I'm sure I would get owned by the likes of Battuta using the mouse & keyboard.  :)

If you go to the main forum page (click "home" just below "news" above and search for "xbox 360 controller" there are a number of threads.  Here are a couple to get you started:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77130

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82028.0

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure how mouse and keyboard would work since I ended up just throwing the mouse around trying to maneuver. I mean if it were controlled like Air Rivals or War Thunder that'd be fine but...

Doesn't FS2 have native gamepad/joystick support as long as you select the right one in the Audio/Joystick tab? I Have a Logitech F310, works in both dinput and xinput mode(although the triggers don't work in xinput). Is there something specific about the Xbox360 pad that makes it different(aside from the idiotic hat stick placement)?

EDIT: Are you even using the launcher or just starting the game directly from the exe? Because you really should use the 5.5g launcher.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:15:09 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Terashell

• 314th Thunderheads
Doesn't FS2 have native gamepad/joystick support as long as you select the right one in the Audio/Joystick tab? I Have a Logitech F310, works in both dinput and xinput mode(although the triggers don't work in xinput). Is there something specific about the Xbox360 pad that makes it different(aside from the idiotic hat stick placement)?

EDIT: Are you even using the launcher or just starting the game directly from the exe? Because you really should use the 5.5g launcher.

I'm not even sure where the launcher is, the FSO installer just did its thing and then went away.

Offline Lorric

For me, the launcher is inside my Freespace 2 folder. I would imagine it will be in yours too. It is called "Launcher" as you would expect. The icon looks like a dog paw.