Have Descent 1
41 (9.7%)
Have Descent 2
42 (9.9%)
Have Descent 3
45 (10.6%)
Have Descent 3 Mercenary Expansion Pack
30 (7.1%)
Have FreeSpace 1 (Descent: or Conflict: FreeSpace)
79 (18.6%)
Have FreeSpace 1 Silent Threat Expansion
56 (13.2%)
Have FreeSpace 2
94 (22.2%)
I like marbles
37 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Who has FreeSpace or Descent?  (Read 7514 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Who has FreeSpace or Descent?
GOG.com is running a promo.  FS1 + ST; FS2; Descent 1 + II; Descent 3 + Mercenaries Expansion $4.19 each

In other words, to buy all of the titles mentioned above (the marbles are included in your :headz: ), the total would be $16.76 (instead of the regular $23.96 for $5.99 each)

So, vote away!  And if you buy any of these, don't forget to come back and change your vote!  :P

EDIT:  Just in case anyone gets stupid ideas, I'm not affiliated with GOG.com :rolleyes:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Who has FreeSpace or Descent?
I did have every game installed in the hard drive at one point, though I don't actually have Mercenaries, it was a friend's disk I used.
Like every single game on the list, except Descent 3 and Mercenaries.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I did have every game installed in the hard drive at one point, though I don't actually have Mercenaries, it was a friend's disk I used.
Like every single game on the list, except Descent 3 and Mercenaries.

I voted for the ones I've had at some point, even though I've lost the disks to most of them by now. I borrowed Mercenaries once, but never finished it (it got boring).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i have all of them, except only ever had the shareware D1.  i must admit to never having completed any of the descent series.  i was really young when i played 1 and 2, and didn't understand the concept of saving :/.  for d3 i think ADD kicked in when i started getting to the really long levels where objectives seemed to fade into "figure out where the hell to go".
I like to stare at the sun.

I have everything except the D3 expansion pack (or maybe I did have it but I didn't play) Finished everything, but I didn't play online except for FS1.

I bought the three pack back in the day that had D1, D2 and the Descent Levels of the World Level Pack. Anyone remember that?
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I have everything except the D3 expansion pack (or maybe I did have it but I didn't play) Finished everything, but I didn't play online except for FS1.

I bought the three pack back in the day that had D1, D2 and the Descent Levels of the World Level Pack. Anyone remember that?

Yep, I got that one too.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
i have all of them, except only ever had the shareware D1.
+1. I also bought a used copy of Descent Maximum for the PS1, but found the controller too limiting for proper Descent-playing.

Honestly, I thought D2's levels felt longer than 3's, or at least more convoluted and harder to memorize, though in D3, when the mission end score/stat screen comes up, I do find myself looking back and thinking, "That was all part of one level?"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'd get Levels of the World if I could get D2X-XL to run with ****ing SOUND. :doubt:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I got all of them when they were released, as well as the D1 and D2 expansions. Although I actually played through the Levels of the World (the singleplayer ones, at least) for the first time only a few months ago.

Honestly, I thought D2's levels felt longer than 3's, or at least more convoluted and harder to memorize, though in D3, when the mission end score/stat screen comes up, I do find myself looking back and thinking, "That was all part of one level?"

It depends on the level. The D3 levels varied in a lot more in size. Some such as level 13 or level 3 of Mercenary were much larger than anything in D2, while others were very short.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Lessee...sitting on my shelf behind me, I have the Descent Definitive Collection (1, Levels of the World fan-pack, II, and Vertigo), two copies of D3 (the original release and the dual-jewel pack for Mercenary), two copies of FS1 (the original and another copy with Silent Threat as a pack-in), and FS2 (the Interplay 20th anniversary release).  I have the good ol' huge boxes for all of them except the Definitive Collection, which I greatly regret.  I'd totally take advantage of this deal too, just to get everything as a convenient digital copy, but I don't exactly have any spare cash at the moment.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've had all these for as long as I can remember. It's probably part of Interplay's promoting Descent for the Wii.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

It depends on the level. The D3 levels varied in a lot more in size. Some such as level 13 or level 3 of Mercenary were much larger than anything in D2, while others were very short.

that damn nomadic cave level *grumble*
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Never played Descent but it looks like gog is getting enough money from selling FS games eh?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
THEY HAVE BLOOD! :D

I'm still waiting for Wing Commander and Battlezone.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I still have to finish the games I have before I buy any more.

Planescape: Torment, I'm looking at you.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I have all but the expansion for D3.

Also, you left out Vertigo :P

Also, I like marbles.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I have Descent 3 v1.0, which came with an old Compaq Presario that no longer exists. While at a computer fare, I came across Mercenary, which I found inside a junk heap of other games, being sold for S$6. It was the only copy of Mercenary I saw, and it was dirt cheap, so I decided not to take any chances and buy it.

In recent months, I've started seeing Interplay's old titles showing up in redesigned covers. This includes Descent 3, which apparently includes Mercenary. The box looks a bit like this one below:

* Androgeos Exeunt visits www.descent3.com.

Oh hello, they're still active.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I have the PCGamer version of Descent 1 (never completed though), Conflict: Freespace and Freespace 2 both in boxed edition.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Ever bought or played Mercenary, but still have everything else. Including my Silent Threat copy from Volition.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Cyker

I still have to finish the games I have before I buy any more.

Planescape: Torment, I'm looking at you.

For the love of smeg, don't go near that unless you're on either a gap year or are unemployed!! :nervous:

It is probably one of the most epic games ever written, and I mean that in terms of awesomeness as well as... um... timesink...ness.  ;)