Author Topic: Wanderer 080727 or r4722 build  (Read 19578 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Wanderer 080727 or r4722 build
Uh... yeah. I did.

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Topgun

mine are much better. there is one for EVERY ship.
no offense or anything galemp.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:20:29 am by Topgun »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I was looking for Galemp's pack but I couldn't find it. Thanks Galemp!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
mine are much better. there is one for EVERY ship.
no offense or anything galemp.

IMO that sort of defeats the purpose of having them as icons. They're supposed to be representational, not literal. Visual clarity (especially on a very small radar) is measured more by how much you can communicate with how little, and what you leave out is as important as what you include.

But that's my opinion, and that's why I have my icons and you have yours. :) I'm looking forward to seeing them even if I don't use them myself.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Topgun

I planned mine to be representational as well but I figured that if the targeting system can identify the class of ship even if it is not in the fov, then so should the radar system.
that way you know it's a seraphim on your tail and not a dragon.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
bomber icon != fighter icon

But anyway, today on a whim I just tried out my icons with the 3D radar and... it looks godawful. But that's OK, since I only ever use the 2D radar.

If yours are optimized for 3D then we'll have a complete set. :)

Offline Topgun

yeah, they look good on 3d. I don't know if they are considered "optimized" thohg.

Offline Topgun

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Bumping this thread because WMC has to look at something!

Can I make a request? Non-stealthy sensor-masked ships (the fuzzy radar blips,) particularly fighters, are sometimes used as event triggers or music cues in some missions, specifically in Awakenings and ST:R. This wasn't a problem before as the fuzzy blip was usually placed so as to be obscured, but with radar icons they're a LOT more noticeable.

I'd like to request that sensor-masked ships have an override that they display no radar icons. If you have the time maybe you could arrange it so that large ships (corvette, capital, installation) do still have radar icons when fuzzy as they're large enough to see their shape from a distance.

If I have to, I'll just remove the radar icon from the Amazon and use that for our trigger in ST:R. But it would be nice to have this outstanding feature tweaked to make it just a bit more useful.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What does WMC have to do with this?  And I think he's on vacation anyway.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Is it possible to use small ship models instead of the icons?

Possibly in the briefing, too? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Current code in the wanderer trunk already draws the fuzzy contacts as standard issue dots instead of images. I doubt there are any builds out though.. i have really no place to upload them to. As for leaving the image should the ship be of certain type... hmm.. that should be doable. Got to think how to implement it though first.

Ummhh... what does briefing have to do with radar images?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
What does WMC have to do with this?  And I think he's on vacation anyway.

Sorry, I meant Wanderer. Forgot whose thread this was.

Current code in the wanderer trunk already draws the fuzzy contacts as standard issue dots instead of images. I doubt there are any builds out though.. i have really no place to upload them to. As for leaving the image should the ship be of certain type... hmm.. that should be doable. Got to think how to implement it though first.

Super! Thanks! I'm currently using a build from early summer, it would be nice to have an update. If you compile a build you can email it to me, and I'll host it for you.

Ummhh... what does briefing have to do with radar images?

He means dynamically rendering small models in the radar, and in the briefing, instead of the current 2D icons.

We had discussed using wireframe LOD2s in the 3D radar before but opted for icons instead, which I think is fine. As for briefings we definitely need to stick with the existing system, as it's been exploited many, many times for different briefing effects.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Here's a recent Wanderer branch build.

Wanderer rev 4840, updated Sept 29
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We had discussed using wireframe LOD2s in the 3D radar before but opted for icons instead, which I think is fine. As for briefings we definitely need to stick with the existing system, as it's been exploited many, many times for different briefing effects.

I'd love to see the option to choose personally. A choice between the current icon system, 3D models or a pre-rendered cutscene would be great. Would be up to someone else to code it though....after 3.6.10 is out. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
IMO it's not a bad idea... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]