Author Topic: Idea: Procedural Planet Surface  (Read 11127 times)

Re: Idea: Procedural Planet Surface
Guess I'll have to stick with having the same modell 2 or 3 times then. But as long as I keep the tbls for them in a TBM instead of the main table I don't feel that bad about it anymore, anyway. :D Certainly one of the things where coders find better things to spend their FreeTime with. :)

@Bryan: I did not say that other people tried it before, but none of them are currently active AFAIK.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
@Nightmare, but I am the only one active.

Aww, that sounds like the kind of things that can't be fixed. :(
(in particular if I'm the only one with use for that) :lol:
There are some ways to reduce the effects of floating point inaccuracies while rendering the game but that still leaves the physics code which still only uses single precision floating point numbers so even if the rendering code could handle larger distances from the origin, the physics engine would still break down.

And again, there are ways to improve this by using higher precision data types for doing physics but that would come at a performance cost and a huge amount of changes required to make it work so it is highly unlikely that this will ever be done.
@m!m, why not re-write the physics code so it doesn't use arbitrary precision floating point numbers? Plus, it supports third party engines.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bryan.  I told you to stop posting in this thread. You're wrong and not contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
This really interests me, questions about this as I've only just stumbled on the possibility:

Would this mean a transparent collision model for the "ground" that gets textured "chunk" by "chunk" as the player approaches the horizon - that is, can AI ships far in the distance, beyond the rendered ground, collide with the ground?

Would that be exceptionally more or less resource-intensive than a pre-loaded ground texture?

Seems like it would work best for a very non-descript, "flowy" grassland/ocean/desert landscape.

That sounds something you could do when you split the ground into several models with LODs or use detail boxes.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Bryan.  I told you to stop posting in this thread. You're wrong and not contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion.
The E, where can I made this statement? I know this discussion is about the Procedural Planet Surface.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:|
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The E, where can I made this statement? I know this discussion is about the Procedural Planet Surface.

*words*

Bryan, you're doing that thing again where you are saying words with no understanding of what they mean. Stop it.

And by "stop it", I mean "do not post in this thread again". Noone has the time or patience to keep explaining to other people why and how you're wrong (since explaining it to you doesn't seem to work).

Disregard this warning at your peril.

So if I understand everything correctly, a procedure plus gravity could easily be scripted in LUA but the tiles would need to be pre-defined POF-files. And there's the danger of the AI crashing into the surface and a whole bunch of graphics issues when flying beyond 100km from the center.

I'm obviously not a programmer, so any ideas I might offer may not be good ones.
Is it possible to create a flag for ground tiles, so when an AI controlled fighter is within x meters from a ground tile, it would change direction in order to avoid collisions?
For instance:
If (fighter X distance to object Y flagged ground tile < Z meters)
Then (fighter X change direction)
Else (operate normally)

Am I also right to assume that if a ground mission is to have ground vehicles like hover tanks (as in Wing Commander 4), they'd need to have pre-defined waypoints and couldn't move freely like fighters can?
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
If (fighter X distance to object Y flagged ground tile < Z meters)
Then (fighter X change direction)
Else (operate normally)

In this form it seems really simple, but in real code this sort of thing is kinda hard to do. For example, what if the fighter's regular behavior makes it want to go below a ground tile? It'd probably keep flip-flopping between the "change direction" behavior and the "normal" behavior. 
What if the "change direction" behavior forces the fighter into colliding with another ship? Alternatively, how do we mix the collision avoidance behavior together with the ground avoidance behavior?
I'm sure there's more trouble than what I can think of right now
Potato!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Am I also right to assume that if a ground mission is to have ground vehicles like hover tanks (as in Wing Commander 4), they'd need to have pre-defined waypoints and couldn't move freely like fighters can?

Ground vehicles are a whole other layer of complexity, starting with the fact that they can only rotate around 2 axes instead of 3 and that their pitch and roll need to be matched to whatever surface they're currently on.

Is it possible to create a flag for ground tiles, so when an AI controlled fighter is within x meters from a ground tile, it would change direction in order to avoid collisions?

The FreeSpace AI is hilariously bad at not colliding with things as it is. Sorting that part out would have to take priority over implementing special ground-avoidance behaviour; in fact, ground avoidance would be a side-effect of such work.

Some random ideas on collision avoidance vs ground.

It could be done with SEXPs like this one - https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87880.msg1871458#msg1871458
Unless you're using a flat plain, you'd need to prepare the terrain model with an annoying amount of subsystems that could be used as "bounce-off" points.

On the other hand you could think about "collision avoidance spheres". For smaller craft a simple radius/distance-based system that uses coordinate/orientation-manipulation magic that forces one (or both) ships to alter their paths manually.

For capital ships it would be more complicated, but somebody made something called "auto spread shields" which also generate spheres around the ship that could serve a similar purpose (like "when fighter XY enters this sphere perfom maneuver that directs it away"). The way they are made it doesn't look like it would be benefitial for the performance of the engine though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I just teleport ships upward when their Y coordinates get too low. Awkward when players notice, but not as awkward as head butting the ground forever.