Author Topic: VPR's single missions thread  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: VPR's single missions thread
Basically, because it's stupid to do it that way when you've got all those easily-detached-from (but difficult to use in FRED, sadly) armatures instead of ramming solid objects through your ship. :P
Who says? The actual docking points have only 1 connection anyway. The Ganymede web thingy could have any number of uses.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well you tell me why they have the armatures, if not to handle refueling, rearming, and repairing multiple ships at once? :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline VPR

Just reposting this mission while I'm sorting the layout of my thread.

Mission 1: Rise of Apollo

Here's my first FS2 mission where Alpha Wing is sent to the outer edges of Vega to investigate reports of Shivan activity. The mission itself is fairly basic and probably not that difficult for the most part. I also have another mission in the works related loosely to this one.

Download (8kb) Updated: 03-09-2010

Change Log - 03-09-2010

-- Modified mission to include new Blue Planet War in Heaven AI profiles
-- Made nameplate for GTCv Apollo

Change Log - 14-03-2010

-- Modified mission to include Fury's Blue Planet Features Pack
-- Added Blue Planet message sounds

Change Log - 21-01-2010

-- Added Fury's AI profiles

Change Log - 25-10-2009

-- Removed GTF Myrmidon from ship selection
-- Added and refined AI-Goals for Alpha/Delta Wing
-- Modified mission dialogue
-- Further testing of GTF Loki in mission (no need to change)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:43:31 pm by VPR »

Offline VPR

A few things to update on. Firstly I've updated my previous mission (see above change log) and also added two screenshots for it. On to the preview for the next mission, which is based on a part of the Freespace 2 main campaign.

The mission involves the GVD Toeris being sent to the Nebula Jump Node in Gamma Draconis to recover Alpha Wing after the SOC Loop 2: Into the Lion's Den mission. I'm pretty much done with the mission design (148 ships so far) but I'm not finished yet with the dialogue and mission text parts. No doubt I find something else not right though with the mission itself during further testing.

Anyway here's a few preview shots.

The other mission I posted a while back is on the back burner for now until I can find a better use for it. It might land nicely in a campaign idea I have but that's not going to happen for a while yet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:44:29 pm by VPR »

Offline VPR

Just a quick update, I've added in tables from Fury's AI mod to the folder and also updated the first mission to now use the new profiles, which hopefully has had a positive effect. You'll also need to use the latest nightly release to get the mission to work properly.

The mission previewed above that I was working on may not be released now as it's currently a mess, while it does work fairly well I'm not happy with the way it runs so I'll try to fix it or just redo it at some point.

I probably won't do much until after April or May now as I'm knee deep in coursework for my project year at Uni. I might get another mission out time and energy permitting but the thread is kind of in hibernation now until I'm free. I'm also working on an idea for a mini campaign, probably 5-8 missions but I'm still sorting the storyline out for it.

Offline starlord

congrats VPR, I think all this should be preserved on FS mods...

Also VPR, please keep me updated regarding the XvT campaign of yours, sounds interesting...

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
congrats VPR, I think all this should be preserved on FS mods...

:nod:

Quick question. In your Oct02 post (with the screenies of a white neb) were those part of a nebula pack (like lightspeeds?) or did you custom add them?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline starlord

I like the concept of that SOC recovery mission... ;7

Offline VPR

Quick question. In your Oct02 post (with the screenies of a white neb) were those part of a nebula pack (like lightspeeds?) or did you custom add them?

I do have Lightspeed's nebulas installed so probably yes, they are. I take it you are asking this because I've not credited him? Apologies if I need to as I unintentionally forgot about having them.

Thanks Starlord, I'm now on Windows 7 64 bit so I need to get XvT sorted with the installers that Markus Egger created a while back, just not had the time yet to do it. As you can tell from my site news I'm not the best at releasing stuff quickly so you'll have to wait a bit, it's good though to have some interest shown in my XvT stuff as well. :) I'm about half way or more through though last time I worked on it.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam

I do have Lightspeed's nebulas installed so probably yes, they are. I take it you are asking this because I've not credited him? Apologies if I need to as I unintentionally forgot about having them.

Thanks Starlord, I'm now on Windows 7 64 bit so I need to get XvT sorted with the installers that Markus Egger created a while back, just not had the time yet to do it. As you can tell from my site news I'm not the best at releasing stuff quickly so you'll have to wait a bit, it's good though to have some interest shown in my XvT stuff as well. :) I'm about half way or more through though last time I worked on it.
It's not because you didn't credit him. That's not the reason at all. They just look so much better than the defaults, in the way you have them.  :nod:
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline VPR

Another update, the mission's basic structure is now done after I've worked up a much better flow for it. Just got the finishing off of messaging and the briefing/debrief to do on top of further testing. I've also added Fury's Feature Pack from Blue Planet as well, which called for another rebalance to be done because the Vasudan capitals began spanking Shivan bombers! This rebalance is also now completed.

Once this is done I'll be looking at getting my teeth into something more complex FREDing-wise such as cutscenes, larger events and variables, which I've so far deliberately avoided. :o I think I'll start by doing the walkthrough in the FRED help topics first however before carrying on with producing my own material.

Offline VPR

Mission 2: Distinguished Action

The GVD Toeris while on route to the Capella Jump Node is ordered to urgently divert back to the Nebula Jump Node in Gamma Draconis to recover an undisclosed SOC force. This force carries critical information about the speculated Shivan Armada that is now moving into GTVA space and they must be recovered successfully despite the dangerous risk to the Vasudan Destroyer.

Download (18kb) Updated: 03-09-2010

Probably still could use a bit more polish and development but I'm at the stage now where I need other people's opinion on it. I do intend to come back to this at a later date and further improve it, or maybe take a different approach to it.

I'll also update the first mission I did to use Fury's new AI, at the moment it may not work properly.

Change Log - 03-09-2010

-- Modified mission to include new Blue Planet War in Heaven AI profiles
-- Added nameplates (from mediavps) for GTCv Naxos and GTC Agrippa
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:59:14 pm by VPR »

Offline VPR

It's been quite a while since I've done anything in Freespace 2 but I'm now back to making missions.

I've changed the way I'm going to be doing things which will hopefully make it more easier for people to play my missions. I've decided to keep with the major SCP releases and avoid using nightly builds (unless absolutely needed) and also keep 3rd party content to a minimum by sticking to using retail equivalent content so you'll just need to download the mod folder once per major SCP release.

I've updated the missions so that they work again with the current mod folder setup, SCP version and AI tables from Blueplanet: WiH. I've also added / made nameplates for GT capitals where needed. I've done some testing of the previous two missions to make sure they're completable but seeing as no one's commented on my second release yet I'll change it if it's giving people problems.

So my third mission I'm working on now is the one I previewed last September, I'm going to try playing about with cutscenes and a few other things so it will probably take a while to make.

Offline VPR

Having had a major disinterest in FREDing over the last few months I've recently started to progress my third mission. A basic cutscene is done and I've also made a start on the capital ship combat which involves a bit of tactical subspace jumping from both Shivan and GTVA capitals. Still a bit of work to do on that before I'm ready to add in fighters and stuff but it's slowly taking shape. There are some early teaser shots below but it doesn't look much at the moment.

The mission will also be built on antipodes 6 at least due to the demand this mission will probably put on hardware (large suns love killing framerates) and I'm hoping I can get this mission out in the next couple of weeks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
oooh sounds exciting.

Keep it up!