Author Topic: yet another idiot with SCP problems  (Read 4430 times)

yet another idiot with SCP problems
tell me what i did wrong and kick me somewhere.
i did the following, in this exact order:

dl'd the media vp, the exes and the launcher from the 355 thread.
extracted it all in a clean "install" of FS* (HOTU like)
ran :V: launcher, wouldn't go over 640*480*32
ran SCP launcher, set it to DX8, but still, no 1024*768
ran exe
made new pilot
went into techroom, spec looked wierd (very clearly visible polys) but it worked.
went into the camp room, set the camp to FS2
went into the briefing room, watched the loading bar complete, got thrown out to the desktop without an error message.

what did i miss?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The hi-res interface images aren't in the HotU download. That probably explains why you didn't get 1024x768.

No idea about the crash though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

erm, i got a HOTU like specimen, and i do get 1024*768 in FS "retail".
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
1) What video card are you using?
2) Did you put the launcher in the same folder as sparky_hi_fs2.vp?
-C

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
IIRC i found that putting a z in the front of the media vp's name fixed a similar prob i had when loading the first mission. This made fs read the media vp last, and therfore i guess there was something in it that conflicted with something else. as for what, i have no idea :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline WMCoolmon

Ick, that's not good. Did you have any mods installed?
-C

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
yeah, however they were in differently named data folders. the one i was using at the time was a blank one.
i'll be trying it again very soon on my new machine arriving today and if i get the same error on a clean install i'll do my best to track it down :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

uhm, i am using a TNT2 16MB, and the launcer is in the smae dir asz my sparky_hi. i am just not sure wheter or not the files are in there or in the data folders.

Offline magatsu1

hey, I'm using a TNT2 too!
(I thought everyone else had "retired" them)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
why do you use suck updated pos cards?
even a matrox would top that :P
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline magatsu1

um, 'cos I can't afford a new one ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by kasperl
uhm, i am using a TNT2 16MB...

That's, well, the worst card I've heard of someone trying to use to run fs2_open. (No offense) The card might just not be able to support FS2 at 1024x768. I use a TNT2 as well, but it's got 32 MB of RAM.

Silly question...have you tried upgrading the drivers for the video card?
-C

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

The card might just not be able to support FS2 at 1024x768.

i ran 1024x768 on a vodoo 3 (and an old old primary graphics driver) and it worked fine....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
uh... that's a lot of ppl using tnt2's :nervous:
i'm pretty sure that HT&L doesn't work on them as this old comp has one also, which would not run the 'tron 2' demo for that reason

however cheap graphics cards are pretty easy to come by you know :p
on my new comp i'm installing a $133 (Aussie Dollars) Geforce FX 5200 128MB, and saw other decent cards for a fair bit less also. (ATI Radeon 9200 SE 64MB = $80 AUD) and if i can find em, anyone can :nod:
Twisted Infinities

i know the prices of new cards, i know this card is crap, and i know i am saving for a cheap Radeon 9 something.

i also know i can run FS2 "retail" on 1024*768, and even FSO DX5 won't support 1024*768.

now, the res ain't th emain problem, the game not playing, that is the main problem.

Offline WMCoolmon

Re-read your first post...why did you have to set the current campaign to the main one?
-C

because i cloned mypilotfrom my INF one, the only one with my keyboard settings.

normally cloning does work.

Offline Sticks

You may have to create a new pilot entirely to be able to get it to work.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

ok, i tried OGL, and it worked, but i didn't had any new features like shinemaps (duh). i made a enw piulot and everything, but DX8 crtashes and DX5 doesn't work.glide gives an illegal operation.

ok, guys, please, either tell me to **** off and forget the SCP, or at least attempt to help me to get this **** working. please?