Author Topic: You guys are my heros  (Read 8643 times)

Re: You guys are my heros
whoa, I really like how things look after adding those vp's.  I can see a major difference, especially when I turn up my AA to 4x.  (I want to see some performance levels before I crank it up to 8x and 16x AF)

I do have a problem though:

I am getting some seriously viscious crackling white noise.  Is this supposed to happen with the hi-res music vp's or is there another issue.  I am running my sound out of a motherboard soundcard (*never* had crackling before now) and a set of THX certified Altec Lansings at 299$... nice speakers.

Thoughts ?

I also cannot get the .ogg cut scenes to play.  I can see the "introduction" see in the list, but when I double click it to play I get the little error sound.  I have added the ogg scenes to the root fs2 directory and renamed it as given my Turey, but to no avail.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 12:38:30 am by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
whoa, I really like how things look after adding those vp's.  I can see a major difference, especially when I turn up my AA to 4x.  (I want to see some performance levels before I crank it up to 8x and 16x AF)

I do have a problem though:

I am getting some seriously viscious crackling white noise.  Is this supposed to happen with the hi-res music vp's or is there another issue.  I am running my sound out of a motherboard soundcard (*never* had crackling before now) and a set of THX certified Altec Lansings at 299$... nice speakers.

Thoughts ?
Try selecting "Generic Software" in the launcher.

I also cannot get the .ogg cut scenes to play.  I can see the "introduction" see in the list, but when I double click it to play I get the little error sound.  I have added the ogg scenes to the root fs2 directory and renamed it as given my Turey, but to no avail.

Are you sure you're running fs2_open_3_6_9.exe?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

absolutely sure.  I *do* get some of the neat features, ie: I see a cool shockwave fly at me when capships blow up (I just fought my first engagement against the shivans).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There were two HotU builds. A ~250MB one which was limited and a later ~650MB one which only lacked the cutscenes. The page you're looking at is for the former. The latter basically has everything you need. However I still see people turning up once in a blue moon with the older version so I left the page up for them.

I'll be updating it to make it clear which one it is for soon.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
There were two HotU builds. A ~250MB one which was limited and a later ~650MB one which only lacked the cutscenes. The page you're looking at is for the former. The latter basically has everything you need. However I still see people turning up once in a blue moon with the older version so I left the page up for them.

I'll be updating it to make it clear which one it is for soon.

Kara : IRC or ICQ or AIM. Now.

l33t_sh33p : Make sure that the size of the .vp on your comp is the same size as the one on the web.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

it's 251 MB, which is the download size. 

I did get the 600 MB HotU version.  Kinda makes sense in retrospect.

I don't know where this "generic software" is in the launcher.  Not under features audio.

Anyway, I'm off to bed for the night now.  Thanks though, will check back in the morning.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I don't know where this "generic software" is in the launcher.  Not under features audio.

Audio/Joystick tab.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i hope hes using the open launcher and not the retail one.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
You need OpenAL for sound.

If you can wait for about a day to install, you can get full retail.
http://www.nukelol.com/fs/

Good luck! Don't forget to get all the VPs you can get; the highest quality stuff is cool. Don't forget the latest launcher (5.5a iirc, probably outdated now). Cutscenes in OGG format are a MUST.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
5.5a is still the newest, as well as 3.6.9. the HEAD buld is only for official devolopers, ect. all .vp files starting with mv_ are recomended if you have good drivers and a fairly new gfx card and system. refer to karajormas faq (link in his sig) for more info.

ps: if you have a crappy gfx card/computer, get .mve cutscenes, since if the previous is true, then .ogg ones wont show.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The current Launcher is 5.5b.  The "a" version had to be replaced because of some bugs.

Hello again,

I *was* using "generic software" which I changed to generic hardware and now the sound is crystal clear and very very pretty. 

I also realized that the cutscenes are not what I thougth they were.  The little animations within a box and a small dialogue is the cutscene correct ?  Not an FMV or a full screen animation or somesuch?

ATM I am using launcher 5.5a, I will do a search for 5.5b.  5.5a is the one that came with the uber windows pack of 3.6.9_open, all the exe's and the launcher.

I've also decided that I really need a good joystick.

Do the missions get any longer ?  I am attacking the SD Ravana (which is f#!@ing hard!) and up to this point the missions have been pathetically easy and short.  (under 10 minutes, barely a hit on me).  I kinda had this image of FS2 being like the old TIE Fighter, the first space sim I ever played and I *loved it*.  Deep involved missions, challenging (at least if you turned off all the helpers, like invulnerability), longer game.  It kicked booty.

Anyway, off to shower and then kill that shivan warbeast!  ( I will check this also)

PS: Which of the 3 bombers do you think I should use ?  I've been using the bonagers and I've lost hardcore the last 4 times.  I was thinking the medusa because it looks neater than the ursa ;Þ

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The current Launcher is 5.5b.  The "a" version had to be replaced because of some bugs.
Great.  Nice to know... where do I get it?  (Until the Installer is back up, that is.)

Offline miskat

No, there are many full-screen CG animated cutscenes.  You can download them from various places on the board in AVI and OGG formats.  I believe someone also encapsulated them in a VP container... somewhere.  There are two sets... one for FS1 and one for FS2.  If you are planning to play the FS1 Conversion... get it.  They are great.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ya, they are.

No, there are many full-screen CG animated cutscenes.  You can download them from various places on the board in AVI and OGG formats.  I believe someone also encapsulated them in a VP container... somewhere.  There are two sets... one for FS1 and one for FS2.  If you are planning to play the FS1 Conversion... get it.  They are great.

well I have the 250 MB .ogg cutscene pack (in a .vp) file in the root directory of my FS2 folder.  I have yet to see a full scree CG anything.  I started the game and get little 'pre-briefing' type of things, ie: this big ring is old, not of shivan design, etc... etc... and then I get a little dialogue from the admiral explaining that we will be entering into the ring to see what is beyond and then I get my mission brief.  That is all.

Thoughts on how to fix this ?  And I also would like to find where the 5.5b launcher is.

and does anyone know what the story with "-smart_shields" is ?  It's supposed to optimize shield recharge, but I added the flag in the 'custom flag box' and I get an error of 'unknown flag'.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Great.  Nice to know... where do I get it?  (Until the Installer is back up, that is.)
The current Launcher is always available at http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/Launcher.rar, but you can get specific versions too just by replacing Launcher.rar with something like Launcher55b.rar, Launcher5.rar, Launcher54.rar, etc.

(NOTE: You might have to right-click and "Save As..." to get the Launcher link.  The guys screwed up my proper mime types and symlinks when they changed/upgraded the server and I haven't gotten it all sorted out yet.)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm...
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp
...that should work, I think..
EDIT: Put it in your \FreeSpace2\fsport directory.

EDIT2: Thx, Taylor, that worked.  :)

I still have the original .mve in my directory... should I remove those ?

They are only 100 bytes each.  Likely they are just dummy files.

I'm going to delete them and see if that works.

EDIT

whoa, that intro movie is sweet.  the problem was that the HotU download (the 600 MB) has 100 byte .mve dummy files, these files prevente the .ogg vp from playing the cutscenes properly.  And can someone read my post that is up about 3 or 4 and answer my question?  I died trying to kill the Ravana again and it's starting to irk me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:56:49 am by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
And can someone read my post that is up about 3 or 4 and answer my question?  I died trying to kill the Ravana again and it's starting to irk me.

What difficulty are you playing on?