Poll

Who would win in a galactic war of Covenant and Empire?

The Covenant
9 (20%)
The Galactic Empire
36 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: The Covenant versus the Galactic Empire  (Read 15004 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Re: The Covenant versus the Galactic Empire
Stormtroopers rule!

Especially the Republic Commandos ;7 Master Chief? Meh - they would eat him for breakfest

Yepp espically 4 special Republic Commandos (well 3 anyway)
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Empire has turbolaser batteries of 200 gigatons.
lol wtf

Hahahah now try Empire vs Timewar daleks :eek2:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Empire has turbolaser batteries of 200 gigatons.

...And those are just medium batteries, too.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You've been reading Stardestroyer.net again, that argument's been conclusively fried here before. (Hell, the article sd.net quotes for support says something different itself.)

Star Destroyer main battery broadside power output is in the kiloton range. How do we know this?

Watch Empire Strikes Back. Asteroids. 'Nuff said. Given the movies the engagement range is pathetically short, only a few dozen kilometers at best. The only other sources, the games and books, seem to agree with this in general. While they have proved able to strike from orbit effectively, this does not require a range much in excess of, say, 100km.

The Covenant have ships capable of engaging at ranges of 350 kilometers on in. Ref. Fall of Reach, among others. There was another ship capable of much more distant engagment ranges mentioned in the same book. (It's worthwhile to remember that as far as canoncity values goes, the Extended Universe for SW loses out to the movies while the books stand equal to the games in regards to Halo. Bungie are greater canon-nazis then any other creator group ever, and I must admit an admiration for that.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Couldn't Star Desytroyers just jump in close to the Covenanat ships? That negates any range advantage whatsoever.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Couldn't Star Desytroyers just jump in close to the Covenanat ships? That negates any range advantage whatsoever.
Pretty much.  Also, ngtm1r, the 200 GT weapons come from the AOTC:ICS for the Acclamator, a ****ing trasport.  Given the fact that a Imperial class Star Destroyer has 60 of those batteries, and its a ship that appears 23 years in the future, isent safe to say that a ISD has way more firepower than a simple transport.  And besides, it was an asteroid field, engage ment ranges will be borked royally

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Straight up? Covenant cruiser can take down the Executor. Engagement ranges, son, engagement ranges. The Executor isn't effective out to 150km.

I think they are slightly less than 150km, but I'm not sure, I do know the Rebels had an Ion cannon that certainly seemed to have no problem with vast ranges. but it's not unknown for Assault Gunboats and other Hyperdrive ships to make a H-Jump that precise, And even Lambda shuttles can be pretty nasty if they manage to get the torps away.

You'll always be left with unknowns though, like what effect would an Ion cannon have on Covenant shields? For things like that, you'll always be left in the realm of guessing. ;)
But would that giant-ass Ion cannon do **** to a super star destroyer?  Or at least less of an effect?

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
You've been reading Stardestroyer.net again, that argument's been conclusively fried here before. (Hell, the article sd.net quotes for support says something different itself.)

Star Destroyer main battery broadside power output is in the kiloton range. How do we know this?

Watch Empire Strikes Back. Asteroids. 'Nuff said. Given the movies the engagement range is pathetically short, only a few dozen kilometers at best. The only other sources, the games and books, seem to agree with this in general. While they have proved able to strike from orbit effectively, this does not require a range much in excess of, say, 100km.

The Covenant have ships capable of engaging at ranges of 350 kilometers on in. Ref. Fall of Reach, among others. There was another ship capable of much more distant engagment ranges mentioned in the same book. (It's worthwhile to remember that as far as canoncity values goes, the Extended Universe for SW loses out to the movies while the books stand equal to the games in regards to Halo. Bungie are greater canon-nazis then any other creator group ever, and I must admit an admiration for that.)

Canon Nazis my ass, they cant even make realistic guns.  (literaly, I should be able to spray BLAKE, my name into a wall from two warthogs away, with the SMG, but can you?  No, more-than likely not.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
 :bump:

*delurks*

We know otherwise, AOTC: ICS. Or simple calculations by Saxton.

Watch Empire Strikes Back. Asteroids. 'Nuff said. Given the movies the engagement range is pathetically short, only a few dozen kilometers at best.

The only other sources, the games and books, seem to agree with this in general. While they have proved able to strike from orbit effectively, this does not require a range much in excess of, say, 100km.

The EU NJO series says otherwise, both SBS and Destinys ways have combat forces engaging at insane ranges.

Ah, but the movies only stand superior to the books when the books are in contradiction, the books are free to offer their own viewpoints and add to the verse. In this case specifically, if the books says ranges can be as far as they want, ASLONG as the movies do not say 'our max range is 55 meters' they do not contradict each other.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
You forgot to re-lurk.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Considering the only Space combat we saw in the Star Wars film was, the Death Star, which was almost a planetary attack, the evacuation of Hoth, which took place while an attack was going on, and the BoE, in which the Rebel fleet had to reverse course and head towards the Star Destroyers which had warped in. Problem is, none of these engagements really gave a chance to show the range of the weapons.

The XWing games etc put a Turbolaser at something like 65km or so iirc, which is ridiculously short-range, any ship trying to do orbital bombardment from that height would probably do more damage by hitting the ground, I suspect that was more about making the game playable than 'canon' ;)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I really don't think the X-Wing games should be used as any kind of reference.  Just play a mission in any of the X-Wing games and then watch a battle scene from any of the movies.  Not too much in common at all...
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

While they have proved able to strike from orbit effectively, this does not require a range much in excess of, say, 100km.

A circular geosynchronous orbit in the plane of the Earth's equator has a radius of approximately 42,164 km (from the center of the Earth) or approximately 35,786 km (22,236 statute miles) above mean sea level.

Given the rapid orbital decay of objects below approximately 200 km, the commonly accepted definition for Low Earth Orbit is between 200 - 2000 km (124 - 1240 miles)[1][2] above the Earth's surface.

Now assuming their ships are capable of holding a position and then blasting a target (say a city), 150km range seems rather tiny.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

*delurks*

We know otherwise, AOTC: ICS. Or simple calculations by Saxton.

Watch Empire Strikes Back. Asteroids. 'Nuff said. Given the movies the engagement range is pathetically short, only a few dozen kilometers at best.

The only other sources, the games and books, seem to agree with this in general. While they have proved able to strike from orbit effectively, this does not require a range much in excess of, say, 100km.

The EU NJO series says otherwise, both SBS and Destinys ways have combat forces engaging at insane ranges.

Ah, but the movies only stand superior to the books when the books are in contradiction, the books are free to offer their own viewpoints and add to the verse. In this case specifically, if the books says ranges can be as far as they want, ASLONG as the movies do not say 'our max range is 55 meters' they do not contradict each other.
****in-A thanks for that post