Author Topic: Release: 3.7.4 RC3  (Read 4288 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Should be the last RC!  Fixed a couple things that we would like to make sure did not adversely affect anything else.

Important!!
As always, you need OpenAL installed.  Linux and OS X come with it but Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer. Alternatively, if Creative's OpenAL doesn't work with your hardware, you can use OpenAL Soft.

Hidden Text: TrackIR Users • Show
Important!!
An external DLL is required for FSO to use TrackIR functions.  The following DLL is simply unpacked in to your main FreeSpace2 root dir.
TrackIR is only supported on Windows.
TrackIR SCP DLL (Mirror) (Mirror)

Launchers, if you don't have one already:
All platforms:  wxLauncher (ongoing project for a unified launcher)

Hidden Text: Alternative Launchers • Show
Windows:  Launcher 5.5g (Mirror) (Mirror) Not compatible with Windows 8+, use wxLauncher above
OS X:  Soulstorm's OS X Launcher 3.0
Linux:  YAL or by hand or whatever you can figure out.

Known issues:

Windows
Compiled on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, MSVC Community 2015 Update 2

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE2 Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

Hidden Text: Alternative builds • Show
If you don't know which one to get, get the third one (no SSE).  If you don't know what SSE means, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
You can use freely available tools like CPU-Z to check which SSE capabilities your CPU has.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3_AVX.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the AVX Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler (fastest build if your CPU supports AVX instructions).

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3_SSE.7z (Mirror) (MD5)
This one is based on the SSE Optimizations from the MSVC Compiler.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3_NO-SSE.7z (Mirror) (MD5)

What are those SSE and SSE2 builds I keep seeing everywhere?
Your answer is in this topic.

OS X Universal (32/64-bit Intel)
Compiled on OS X 10.11.5, Xcode 7.3.1 (Apple LLVM version cross-reference)

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3.dmg (Mirror) (MD5)

Hidden Text: Other Platforms, Source Code • Show
Ubuntu Linux 32-bit
Compiled on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS 32-bit, GCC 4.8.4, glibc 2.19
The Ubuntu builds are built and provided as a reference, and also because Ubuntu is a very common Desktop Linux distribution.  We usually recommend Linux users compile their own builds, but if you happen to be running 32-bit Ubuntu, or 64-bit Ubuntu with 32-bit libraries installed, these may work fine for you.  There have been reports of package managers maintaining FSO packages in various Linux distributions, if you plan to package an FSO release for a distribution please let use know and we will include a reference to it in our release posts.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (MD5)

FreeBSD 64-bit (experimental, limited support)
Compiled on PCBSD 10.2 64-bit, clang 3.4.1
As FreeBSD is still a small player in the desktop space, but PC-BSD is becoming a much more user-friendly platform, we were able to get it reliably working with our build system.  The limited user base for these builds will likely keep them in the experimental realm, so if you do have any issues or successes with them, please report your experiences here.

fs2_open_3.7.4_RC3.tar.bz2 (Mirror) (MD5)

Source Code Export (MD5)
fs2_open_3_7_4_RC3_src.tgz (Mirror)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Someone ought to stickify this in place of the RC2 thread.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Give me a minute, it just posted, jeez :P
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Eh... you had more than an hour between the thread being launched and my post.  Get with the program.  ;)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Installer and Mantis have been updated to be RC3-aware.  Installer was tested; all builds should download successfully.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No complaints so I take it this build is perfect!

No issues for me, chief. My problems while using this have been specific to some mistakes Blaise Russel made while FREDding some of the missions of Homesick. I'm working on correcting how he used break-warp, never-warp, fix-warp, and allow-warp on as many missions in Homesick as misused them. Oddly enough, some missions he made for Homesick did used the best practice method while others did not. It's strange.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

No issues for me, chief. My problems while using this have been specific to some mistakes Blaise Russel made while FREDding some of the missions of Homesick. I'm working on correcting how he used break-warp, never-warp, fix-warp, and allow-warp on as many missions in Homesick as misused them. Oddly enough, some missions he made for Homesick did used the best practice method while others did not. It's strange.

Glad I'm not the only one! Been playing through this for the first time over the past couple days, and have hit a brick wall in the nebula mission after you first run from the Mammon. Can't warp out, even after I get the Depart directive. I'm guessing it's due to some buggeration with the campaign itself rather than any FSO stuff, since I had no trouble with anything else.

Also, new here but have been enjoying FS2 / FSOpen for years and recently reinstalled for a run through the campaign. Replayed Transcend and Sync, then moved on to new stuff: Ancient Shivan War, Derelict, and now Homesick. All fantastic stuff -- so much great work has been put into this game. And it seems like you all have a really friendly community to boot.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Replayed Transcend and Sync, then moved on to new stuff: Ancient Shivan War, Derelict, and now Homesick.
Heh; "new"...

(FYI, Derelict released in 2000 and Homesick in 2003, while Sync was 2004 and Transcend came out in 2005.)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I'm guessing he meant new to him.

Glad I'm not the only one! Been playing through this for the first time over the past couple days, and have hit a brick wall in the nebula mission after you first run from the Mammon. Can't warp out, even after I get the Depart directive. I'm guessing it's due to some buggeration with the campaign itself rather than any FSO stuff, since I had no trouble with anything else.

As soon as I'm done fixing the misFREDding of these missions, I'll release them as a patch VP to just drop in and go, then maybe a repack of Homesick entire for the FSO installer, if nobody minds.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Things look ok for me on 3.7.4 RC3 on linux and windows.
My only complain is wrong checksum for source code archive. ;)

Yup, new to me. :) I recognize most of this stuff is old, old, old... but old games have often been the most enjoyable in my experience.  Like ~fine wines~ etc. etc. (more like aged cheese)

As soon as I'm done fixing the misFREDding of these missions, I'll release them as a patch VP to just drop in and go, then maybe a repack of Homesick entire for the FSO installer, if nobody minds.

Sweet, looking forward to this. I might even bust out FRED myself eventually if I need a break from UEd over in my Unreal Tournament modding lands. I do remember making a total hellstorm of a mission once long ago, basically throwing as many capital ships into a fray as I could without crashing the game. Playing actual effort-based campaigns inspires me to do something at least small-scale but more interesting than a sandbox brawlfest.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Things look ok for me on 3.7.4 RC3 on linux and windows.
My only complain is wrong checksum for source code archive. ;)

Whoops, there was an uploading kink being worked out during the release process that might have left the wrong checksums uploaded, I have the correct checksum files for all these archives and will ensure they are correct on all the mirrors as soon as I have a minute.

Edit:  Ok all the MD5 sums on all the mirrors should be correct now.  Not sure why the rsync script that deployed them initially didn't update them with new data, unless it's because the sizes matched.  I'll need to modify my rsync command to do a better comparison if that was the case.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:35:03 pm by chief1983 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Edit:  Ok all the MD5 sums on all the mirrors should be correct now.  Not sure why the rsync script that deployed them initially didn't update them with new data, unless it's because the sizes matched.  I'll need to modify my rsync command to do a better comparison if that was the case.
Clearly, it should calculate the MD5 sums of the MD5 sums.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hi, 3.7.4RC3 is still affected by normal maps not rendered (checked on Ubuntu 16.04 with mesa-dev/stable gallium radeon and nouveau)
Mauro
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:24:54 pm by maurossi »