Author Topic: The CMake build system  (Read 61655 times)

Offline m!m

The problem with allowing other forks to upload builds is that it reveals the password of the FTP host to everyone since if anyone can specify their own repository and branch then that branch could have been altered so that it prints the password to the console while compiling the builds. Also, the encryption system of Travis CI and Appveyor do only work for a single repository so scaling it to multiple forks is not trivial.

The easiest solution would be to just have a manual or semi-manual system where a pull request for a test build branch is created by the contributor and a developer with push access can then check if nothing nefarious is being done with the CI scripts.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What if we automate that actual check?  Compare the requested fork's build scripts to the main repo's via diff, as long as they're cool, let it fly?  I mean I guess a user-intervention based process would probably be safer in case methods we didn't think of occur.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Another possibility could be that anyone requesting builds from a fork provide their own upload credentials to be used.  Being able to host the builds would be great but being able to upload custom builds to a given location would still be a huge help I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How can I build for OS X while on Windows? A lot of my friends somehow happens to have Macs.

Not while on Windows, no, but it's possible (sometimes) to dual or triple -boot Mac OS X, Windows (and Linux if you want that too).

Post over on /r/hackintosh see if your hardware is currently supported.  They also have a Discord server

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Since Hackintosh has been mentioned (which is against Apple's EULA), I'll mention that you actually CAN run a macOS VM on Windows with either VmWare or VirtualBox. It doesn't work out-of-the box and requires a few tricks but it's possible... However, that also violates Apple's EULA so I won't explain how until a mod can tell me if we're allowed to talk about it here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh.  Yes, I forgot.  It's illegal to run Apple's software, which you purchase (well, I'll assume you purchased it) on hardware which you also purchased, unless it was purchased from Apple for an exorbitant markup.  I mean, $2800 for a laptop with an i7 and an RX 560 + 512GB SSD, 15" display which isn't even as high-res as a Surface Pro.  Oh wait, you're paying for that Apple experience.  So $1500 for the laptop (maybe) and the rest is that slick OS.     /rant

I could see not supporting non-Apple configurations, but the whole EULA business... yeeesh   

Anyways, feel free to redact my comment if we don't want to be talking in gray areas.  I hadn't remembered to take that into consideration when linking to other discussions on the topic.  :nervous:

Offline ksotar

I think I remember now, why I never even looked to Apple products.

I can understand almost everything, but not been able to build from other platforms...
Looks like my friends with Macs are going to learn how to build by themselves.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Depending on how often you need it, asking a dev with a mac is always an option.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Depending on how often you need it, asking a dev with a mac is always an option.

Must be nice being one of 5 guys in town with a pickup...  (as in, when people move, they always ask you to help or to borrow your truck, and if there's very few of you, you'll quickly lose patience with that).

Can you target Mac from Linux?  If so, you can target it from Windows through Linux subsystem for Windows

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah I like my toys so I have both a truck and a Mac :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah I like my toys so I have both a truck and a Mac :)

I actually like Mac too.  I just hate the price.  My wife bought one through her school, and I always want to play with it, love the click integration.. the price it just outlandish, however.  Imagine a Tesla Model S with the price tag of a Ferrari, Roadster with the price tag of a Ford GT (not Mustang GT) or a Model 3 with the price tag of a Corvette.

Teslas are amazing cars, just not that amazing.  Same with Apple. And they don't even produce the product domestically, or make their own parts!!  They produce them in the same places Samsung et al do, for the same prices (or just use Samsung parts), and then turn around and charge 5x the price!  I just can't believe they can't see how much market share they could capture if they'd drop the price a little, and loosen a few of the restrictions.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I got a refurbished mac for $140 from 2007...  Works great.  Runs El Capitan.  User experience. Very pleased.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I got a refurbished mac for $140 from 2007...  Works great.  Runs El Capitan.  User experience. Very pleased.

That's pretty cool, I like that kind of price (apparently, after a certain age, even Macs become competitive with PCs, either that, or you got lucky).

Offline den5

Hello! I tried to compile fs2_open and I got these errors. What's wrong? I'm using visual studio 2013 ultimate

Code: [Select]
Warning 3 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 4 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 5 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 6 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 7 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 8 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 9 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 10 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 11 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 12 warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200' C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Warning 1 warning D9025: overriding '/W3' with '/w' C:\fs2_OSE\lib\opengl\gl\cl glad
Warning 2 warning D9025: overriding '/W3' with '/w' C:\fs2_OSE\lib\opengl\gl\cl glad_wgl
Error 14 error D8040: error creating or communicating with child process C:\fs2_OSE\code\cl code
Error 16 error D8040: error creating or communicating with child process C:\fs2_OSE\freespace2\cl Freespace2
Error 32 error D8040: error creating or communicating with child process C:\fs2_OSE\fred2\cl FRED2
Error 17 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 464 1 FRED2
Error 18 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 465 1 FRED2
Error 19 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 466 1 FRED2
Error 20 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 467 1 FRED2
Error 21 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 468 1 FRED2
Error 22 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 469 1 FRED2
Error 23 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 470 1 FRED2
Error 24 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 484 1 FRED2
Error 25 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 485 1 FRED2
Error 26 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 486 1 FRED2
Error 27 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 487 1 FRED2
Error 28 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 488 1 FRED2
Error 29 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 489 1 FRED2
Error 30 error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)' C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp 490 1 FRED2
Error 13 error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler. C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound\openal.h 26 1 code
Error 15 error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler. C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound\openal.h 26 1 Freespace2
Error 31 error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler. C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound\openal.h 26 1 FRED2

Offline m!m

Is that the entire log output? Visual Studio usually shows more detailed error messages in the full log output.

Offline den5

This appeared in the error list. Where i can find full error log?

this from output
Code: [Select]
1>------ Skipped Build: Project: clean_cotire, Configuration: Release x64 ------
1>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
2>------ Skipped Build: Project: code_pch_pre, Configuration: Release x64 ------
2>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
3>------ Build started: Project: code, Configuration: Release x64 ------
3>cl : Command line warning D9025: overriding '/Zm170' with '/Zm200'
3>  cmdline.cpp
3>  cutscenes.cpp
3>  movie.cpp
3>  VideoPresenter.cpp
3>  AudioDecoder.cpp
3>  FFMPEGDecoder.cpp
3>  internal.cpp
3>  SubtitleDecoder.cpp
3>  VideoDecoder.cpp
3>  ddsutils.cpp
3>  console.cpp
3>  consolecmds.cpp
3>  consoleparse.cpp
3>  def_files-win32.cpp
3>  exceptionhandler.cpp
3>  fireballs.cpp
3>  warpineffect.cpp
3>  contexthelp.cpp
3>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound/openal.h(26): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
3>  (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
3>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
3>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
3>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information (C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\cutscene\movie.cpp)
3>  INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\CL.exe'
3>      Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
3>      Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
3>  gameplayhelp.cpp
3>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound/openal.h(26): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
3>  (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
3>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
3>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
3>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information (C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\cmdline\cmdline.cpp)
3>  INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\CL.exe'
3>      Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
3>      Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
3>cl : Command line error D8040: error creating or communicating with child process
4>------ Build started: Project: Freespace2, Configuration: Release x64 ------
5>------ Build started: Project: FRED2, Configuration: Release x64 ------
4>  freespace.cpp
5>  initialstatus.cpp
5>  missionsave.cpp
5>  restrictpaths.cpp
5>  setglobalshipflags.cpp
5>  sexp_tree.cpp
5>  shieldsysdlg.cpp
5>  ship_select.cpp
5>  shipchecklistbox.cpp
4>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound/openal.h(26): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
4>  (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
4>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
4>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
4>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
4>  INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\CL.exe'
4>      Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
4>      Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
6>------ Skipped Build: Project: launch_fso, Configuration: Release x64 ------
6>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
5>  shipclasseditordlg.cpp
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(464): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>          With the following template arguments:
5>          'T=Ship::Ship_Flags'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(465): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(466): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(467): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(468): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(469): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(470): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(484): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(485): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(486): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(487): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(488): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(489): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\initialstatus.cpp(490): error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void handle_inconsistent_flag(flagset<T,T::NUM_VALUES> &,T,int)'
5>  shipeditordlg.cpp
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound/openal.h(26): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
5>  (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
5>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
5>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
5>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information (C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\sexp_tree.cpp)
5>  INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\CL.exe'
5>      Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
5>      Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
5>C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\code\sound/openal.h(26): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
5>  (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
5>   To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
5>  Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
5>   Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information (C:\Users\Denis\Documents\GitHub\fs2open.github.com\fred2\missionsave.cpp)
5>  INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\CL.exe'
5>      Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
5>      Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
5>cl : Command line error D8040: error creating or communicating with child process
7>------ Skipped Build: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Release x64 ------
7>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
8>------ Skipped Build: Project: PACKAGE, Configuration: Release x64 ------
8>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 3 failed, 11 up-to-date, 5 skipped ==========
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:17:15 am by den5 »

Offline m!m

It has been some time since I used VS2013 but I think the error log is in the same tab pane as the error list but I don't know the exact title of the tab.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see the edit...

EDIT2: Try updating Visual Studio (or just install the community version of VS2017). That code definitely compiles with VS2013 so this is likely some sort of compiler bug that has been fixed in a later version.

Offline den5

Re: The CMake build system
I got VS2017 and was able to compile fs2_open. But now another problem. The game crashes at any time, any mods \ campaign \ mission. This does not happen with Nightly Builds. What happened this time?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:41:19 am by den5 »

Offline m!m

Try compiling a debug build and launching FSO with an attached debugger. That will show where the crash occurs.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Try compiling a debug build and launching FSO with an attached debugger. That will show where the crash occurs.
If you try this and it doesn't crash in non-Release builds, and you're compiling AVX or AVX2 builds, you may have encountered a compiler bug.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.