Author Topic: Feature Request: More button, axes, and hats seen?  (Read 1748 times)

Feature Request: More button, axes, and hats seen?
Hi, I have a mixed-brand, multi-USB port HOTAS setup that I wish to use for FSO. I've made a virtual joystick, bound my buttons twice over so I can use a shift key, the whole thing. But it wasn't recognising any button past 32, and only one hat. I understand that's a known limitation, but everything I found when I searched for it here said that you guys were waiting for something to finish being transitioned from one... something... to another - sorry, been a while since I read the topics, and I can't seem to find them again - and then you'd look at making FSO see more than 6 axes, 32 buttons, and 1 hat. From what I remember reading, which may be wrong, those topics were prior to 3.7.4's release, and 3.7.4 said the transition was complete.

If my notoriously-faulty memory is correct and that is the case, is anyone working on allowing people who blew more money than they should have on a HOTAS with more buttons than FSO can see to utilise the full potential of their overly-expensive control setup?

If not, could they, please?

In the interim, I can bind all the buttons past the 32 limit to keyboard combinations, and that will allow me to play, but I'd really prefer to be able to bind them all directly in FSO, if possible.

Re: Feature Request: More button, axes, and hats seen?
From what I understand, being able to work with more axes and hats is in the works as a long term goal and the switch to SDL everywhere was one of the steps toward this in addition to the fact that using SDL increases cross-platform compatibility. However, FSO is currently in a feature freeze/code freeze other than bug fixes and optimizations as part of the run-up to the 3.8.x release, and I don't know that this would be something that is being worked on right now. Someone from the SCP group would have more info.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
SDL2 was added after 3.7.4; it allows FSO to use multiple devices, however support for that and the additional buttons/axes/etc requires more work. As LaineyBugsDaddy said, we're in a feature freeze at the moment so after 3.8 would be the earliest it could be added. As for the question "is anyone working on it?" I don't know. Actually owning a HOTAS setup as you describe would certainly help such an effort but I don't know if any of the SCP members have such a device.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To be honest, replicating what is needed to support could be done by plugging in multiple sticks, the throttle is probably just another collection of buttons, hats, and axis, just like a joystick.  Maybe sdl is smart enough to give it a better device name but we'll figure that out at some point.  Goodwill often has a joystick on the shelves.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Unless I'm misremembering, this is on z64555's to-do list. I volunteered to help whenever he gets around to working on it; I actually started work on the necessary pilot file changes some time ago when I thought we might need them for hat switches to work properly.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yep, definitely on my todo list. I keep getting distracted by other shinies.  :rolleyes:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Getting distracted by shinies? I wouldn't know anything about that... *cough* *shoves half a dozen partially-completed projects behind something with their foot*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:05:33 pm by RecklessPrudence »