Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35353 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Dev blog comments thread
It looks to me like you've got a fairly coherent fleet, from a purely visual "Look at the pretty models" perspective. And, don't et me wrong, I do like looking at pretty models :) But what 'm most interested in are, well, two (closely related0 things. Firstly, what's the status of the tables? Have the weapons been balanced? Are the capships turreted, and do the turrets work effectively? And, of course, all this dovetails into the only question that I'm really interested in - are you FREDding yet? ;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Another question by public demand here at my end.

Are going to be any viper cockpit into this incoming R1 Game-War-Head?.

Thanks,
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Remember that mk2 cockpit shown in some BtRL videos? That's my model and it's going to make an appearance in R1. Someone just needs to texture it before we can take any pretty screenshots with it.

Offline Shade

Firstly, what's the status of the tables?
Most things have working tables that are close to where we want them. Things are still being tweaked though as we find problems with the balance of one thing or another.

Have the weapons been balanced?
By and large, yes. But again, tweaks are still happening as we come across things during testing.

Are the capships turreted, and do the turrets work effectively?
They are and they do. In fact, some of the ships are downright ****ing scary to go up against. You really Do Not want to stray into a Battlestar's firing solution :D

And, of course, all this dovetails into the only question that I'm really interested in - are you FREDding yet?
Oh yes. We already have a fairly complete (and ever-growing) set of multiplayer missions, as well as flyable WIPs for most main campaign missions.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
RE: Battlestar's/Basestars defenses...how difficult are they to deal with?  How screwed is the player if they go up against such a vessel...with support?  Or in other words whats the balance between fighters and capital ships and how do each of them fit into each others roles.

Back when I was balancing The Babylon Project I tried to stay with Babylon 5's method that capital ships were powerful against each other but fighters were necessary so that a capital ship wasn't picked apart piece by piece by attacking fighters.  So your capital ship needed that screen otherwise the enemy fighters could just walk on in.  From watching BSG...I suspect the philosophy is very much the same.  Otherwise...why bother launching Vipers at all right?

So I'm curious how are you guys making those roles fit together?
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Shade

We're doing much the same really. Capital ships of similar sizes are very effective against each other, but less so against fighters. That said, Battlestars in particular have some nasty anti-fighter tricks up their sleeve as well as a very impressive flak barrage that you *have* to avoid if you want to attack them, though this has limited coverage. On the flipside, Basestars are almost defenseless without their legions of Raiders, but pack some extremely powerful ship-to-ship missiles that let them decimate enemy warships at a distance.

I'd say that up close a Battlestar has a clear edge over a Basestar as the combination of its flak barrage and main batteries will simply tear it apart, but at long ranges it's the other way around. Larger Battlestars such as the Mercury class might fare better at long ranges, though, due to their main battery firepower being able to match that of the Basestars.

As for fighters, they are very important in all engagements but, unless they are equipped with nukes, are not ideally suited to the task of actually destroying Battlestar-sized targets. Fighter guns do very little damage to Battlestar-level ship armour. However, even without nukes they can make a critical difference by intercepting warheads, taking out important turrets/subsystems, preventing the enemy fighters from doing the same, or even taking out smaller supporting warships that aren't as thick skinned as a Battlestar.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Ramjet

Shame on me for never actually playing the original FS games (I do own them but found that by the time I bought them out the bargain bin, graphics seemed so dates I never got into it...) ... so I'm going to show some ignorance here and my sincere lack of knowledge of the FS engine and ask if there will be subsystems on battlestars and basestars which may effect how a player would handle these cap ships in missions? ie perhaps targetting engines will slow a cap ship down and stop them from jumping out (may be a mission parameter) or generators which may stop a section of weapons control for a period of time till an auto-repair is completed and guns/missles come back online?

Offline newman

There will definitely be targetable, destroyable subsystems.
How will their destruction affect a vessel will depend on how that vessel is tabled.
If a ship has a destroyable FTL, then destroying this system should effectively prevent
it from jumping out, for example. Now which ships will have what subsystems,
that's another question that's probably best left for the release :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Fish

• Nugget
I'm playing through the original FS1 campaign right now  :P

It's a FreeSpace staple to kill capships by subsystem destruction. Depending on your priorities, you take out the engines to prevent it jumping out, destroy the communications to prevent it calling in reinforcements, destroy the weapons system to make targeting you inaccurate, then pick off the turrets. If the hull remains by this point, just kill it by slow attrition!

Although there are some missions where you can achieve the bonus objective of capturing an enemy ship by disabling it on your own initiative, sometimes it's just fun to disable capships and see if it messes up the mission's scripted events :D
<><

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And Fish hereby gets added to the list of players who do stuff us FREDders hate. :p

Seriously though anticipating that a player might decide to do something like that is an important part of good mission design. There are so many ways a player can screw up a mission either deliberately or by accident that it requires a lot of work to make sure that they can't do it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fish

• Nugget
It's one thing to pick on capships in FS1, but entirely another to do anything jerk-like in the BtRL demo! I'm too busy struggling with those damn zippy Raiders to mess anything up. The FREDing in that makes retails FreeSpace look very linear...
<><

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's cause we knew people like you would try to break it and I myself have a lot of experience in trying to break other people's missions. :p

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
We're doing much the same really. Capital ships of similar sizes are very effective against each other, but less so against fighters. That said, Battlestars in particular have some nasty anti-fighter tricks up their sleeve as well as a very impressive flak barrage that you *have* to avoid if you want to attack them, though this has limited coverage. On the flipside, Basestars are almost defenseless without their legions of Raiders, but pack some extremely powerful ship-to-ship missiles that let them decimate enemy warships at a distance.

I'd say that up close a Battlestar has a clear edge over a Basestar as the combination of its flak barrage and main batteries will simply tear it apart, but at long ranges it's the other way around. Larger Battlestars such as the Mercury class might fare better at long ranges, though, due to their main battery firepower being able to match that of the Basestars.

As for fighters, they are very important in all engagements but, unless they are equipped with nukes, are not ideally suited to the task of actually destroying Battlestar-sized targets. Fighter guns do very little damage to Battlestar-level ship armour. However, even without nukes they can make a critical difference by intercepting warheads, taking out important turrets/subsystems, preventing the enemy fighters from doing the same, or even taking out smaller supporting warships that aren't as thick skinned as a Battlestar.
Sounds excellent Shade. Thanks for the answer!  Seems like there will be a very good balance between what the player can and can't be expected to do and then of course the rest falls to the actual mission designer.  Sounds good...look forward to seeing it in action :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
That's cause we knew people like you would try to break it and I myself have a lot of experience in trying to break other people's missions. :p

And to some of us breaking things just comes naturally. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You probably should be upgraded to Trouble Magnet actually. :p

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
Will there be any new video uploaded soon to show off the advances you have made? Because while looking at the amazing screenshots is great, I like explosions!
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Shade

Being worked on :) We need a few other things finished and put into the game besides the explosions, so no ETA on it, but you'll get your video eventually.

Offline Something

Can we have it on Monday? That's me birthday :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:44:43 am by Something »
Done voice work for :
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline newman

Yes you can have it on monday. Just not this one.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Something

:P I can wait, I'm good at waiting.
Done voice work for :
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning