Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305102 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
I found Arpeggio and Kancolle to be wholly mediocre and mostly just tried them out of my interest in naval history.
While I only have a passing interest in naval history myself, wholly mediocre is a pretty much how I would describe both anime adaptations, though Kancolle still qualified as "most japanese show I've seen" for quite a while. Arpeggio is especially disappointing, as I have some fondness for the source material - though it's not without flaws, I don't think it deserved being stripped of the qualities it does have to create a bland generic 12-ish episode anime. I already ranted about this elsewhere in this thread IIRC.

the next on the list is Death Note. I've heard good things, so we'll see.
Death Note's alright, though I'm curious as to how well it stood the test of time.

sg sg1  and Atlantis for the first time
I've probably got a bit of nostalgia filter, but I think both series hold up rather well, although IIRC, Atlantis takes about two seasons to find its mojo.

Anyone here watch FairyTail?
Watched it a bit when I saw it was on Netflix, after dropping the manga some 6 years ago. I feel like it's very much focus targeted at a young audience, which I think was one of the reasons I dropped the manga in the first place. Still, it was pretty funny to see Happy being blue, something I was always forgetting since colored pages were pretty rare.

Moving on, I'm still steadily shifting away from 40+ minutes series. I don't think I ever finished the second or third episode of Altered Carbon, so I still don't know what it's worth. The I started up DC's Legends of Tomorrow, dropped it after about ten minutes after I realized it was probably tied into several other DC shows, and I didn't feel like picking up characters halfway into their stories. Maybe my attention span just suck.

That being said, I also dropped Disenchanted, after being reminded why I dropped the Simpsons & Futurama, while picking up 3-4 other 20 minutes series, with a noticeable shift towards more family-friendly western works following my positive experience with Steven Universe :
- Knights of Sidonia : A space-mecha about a generation ship & lovecraftian-ish aliens (+ fanservice since this is anime and that's the law). I thought the first season was really good, then the second kinda dropped the aliens in favor of a harem-style plot (in addition to the fanservice already present), which I already get enough of from elsewhere so I put the series on ice for the time being.
Still, I kinda liked it, despite being somewhat predictable it's got some good ideas & decent animation - would recommend though one should be aware that seasons 1 & 2 have some noticeable difference in the kind of story they want to tell.

- Dragon Prince : A fairly standard friendly fantasy tale, short (12 episodes for the first season) but quite enjoyable, with a good balance between drama, action & humor. The animation is rather janky at times (I blame bad CGI), but the drawing itself is rather clean - would recommend.
Funny story : I watched both it & Sidonia at around the same time, found both rather predictable with some questionable CG animation, but enjoyed both nonetheless :)

- Miraculous Ladybug : Probably the oddest choice I made over the past couple month, it's a full CGI Franco-Japano-Korean magical-girl-ish show set in Paris. The poster caught my eye ever since I arrived on Netflix early this year, though I'd always been wary of it being to kid-oriented for my tastes (which it admittedly it kind of is). I decided to give it a shot after finishing Dragon Prince & putting Sidonia on hold, and to watch it in French, which kind of freaked me out a bit since I've been staying the hell away from French dubs & translations as much as I could for the past 8 years or so.
Well, it's definitely an odd show, very anime-inspired while being very western at the same time. Plot-wise it's fairly unremarkable and formulaic, however the characters themselves are pretty fun overall, the comedy works, the action is solid, the animation is gorgeous - though Paris is entirely too empty) and it makes copious use of stock shots for the transformation sequences & special abilities.
Overall, a pretty fun ride - would recommend (too bad season 2 isn't available for on Netflix for some reason).

- Wakfu : That one's been a looong time coming, it was recommended to me by some of my high-school-era friends back when it first came out, but I never got around to giving it a shot (I was too busy playing Freespace & DotA back then). It's a wacky fantasy tale with elements inspired from classic RPG games - as was popular in France at the time. Turns out it's a surpringly solid show : It's gorgeous, it's funny (though I don't know how much gets lost in translation), the character stuff works so far, the action works, it's got some non-intrusive nods to RPGs (computer or otherwise).
Very good so far - strongly recommended.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
- Wakfu : That one's been a looong time coming, it was recommended to me by some of my high-school-era friends back when it first came out, but I never got around to giving it a shot (I was too busy playing Freespace & DotA back then). It's a wacky fantasy tale with elements inspired from classic RPG games - as was popular in France at the time. Turns out it's a surpringly solid show : It's gorgeous, it's funny (though I don't know how much gets lost in translation), the character stuff works so far, the action works, it's got some non-intrusive nods to RPGs (computer or otherwise).
Very good so far - strongly recommended.

The first two season are overall good (the ending of the first season is excellent IMO) ... though the season 2 villan never quite recaptures the excellence that was achieved with Nox* ("Once I have finished, nothing I have done will have mattered" is still one of the best line to telegraph that the villian of the piece might be the most sympathetic figure involved), although the inital arc of season 2 is really awesome as well...

The 3 full feature lengh outings are ... mediocre at best, as they ditch the esmeble nature of the show to go broke on the action for most of it; completely sidelining 3 of original cast (out of 5), made worse that there seem to be some bull**** gender politcs at play...

The recently released season 3 is not a return to form, but it once it all out there - they finally get back to finding stuff to tell that is relevant with all characters (even if the Eva remains sidelined, but at least being pregnant is less bull**** that what happened before), Ruel's story arc is particular manages to bridge contrasting parts of his personality and role to the others, all the while we finally get see Amaya matured beyond the issues that defined her character originally.

* Nox by himself is also a masterclass is design; not just does story square the megalomically villian with a sympathetic tragedic weight but his overall design is well crafted, from him mostly teleporting to move around and his jancky clockwork inspired movement when he is fighting. And again, the resolution of his story at the end of season 1 is one object lessons for how to resolve an overpowering villian in story.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:27:02 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

- Knights of Sidonia : A space-mecha about a generation ship & lovecraftian-ish aliens (+ fanservice since this is anime and that's the law). I thought the first season was really good, then the second kinda dropped the aliens in favor of a harem-style plot (in addition to the fanservice already present), which I already get enough of from elsewhere so I put the series on ice for the time being.
Still, I kinda liked it, despite being somewhat predictable it's got some good ideas & decent animation - would recommend though one should be aware that seasons 1 & 2 have some noticeable difference in the kind of story they want to tell.

To my estimation, Season 1 and 2 of Knights of Sidonia are actually quite different stories which both concluded in their series - the impression of that is slightly broken by how the second season ends, although it kinda fits there too.
The first Season is very much about Nagate arriving in Sidonia's society, with the expectation of himself and others that he might prove to be the equal to his heroic grandfather, and having to fail foward until he reaches the point when he his. The second Season is very much about the reaction to that kind of heroic figure having arrived, with the shift of objective from survival to total war being at the forefront - we see the de-throned prodigee rival make what is essentially a pact with the devil by another name, we see Nagate being lifted on higher pedestal (hence the harem sub-plot being kinda fitting), leadership shifts and by the end everyone is buying into the idea of victory.

There is also a well plotted path how this is going to continue since there is an obvious trigger how to compromise Nagate as a heroic paragon before pulling the curtain on all the shadyness with the other plot trigger that was left in plain view at the end of season 2.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

I really liked the first season of Knights of Sidonia. The Gauna were a credible and lethal foe, one that seemed very much like a force of nature. The action sequences were good fun and the physics side of things was also quite satisfying. The plot was interesting enough to keep me engaged, enough to overlook the bland characters and somewhat wooden dialogue.

Then season 2 came around. Good god what happened? It felt like the whole season was just filler until the very last battle at the end. That penis monster thing was just cringey. I think I remember it doing the "anime rosy cheeks" thing at one point, like it was attracted to the main character whats-his-name, which came off as borderline bestial. The harem crap did not help matters at all, especially considering how stiff and unengaging the characters were. A lot of animes have problems with boring protagonists, but this one was especially bad. His entire character is "I occasionally eat".

Knights of Sidonia stands out to me as something that had so much potential and managed to somehow pull mediocrity from the jaws of greatness. The transhuman elements, such as genderless people and photosynthesis, was something that should have been explored so much further. Instead we got entire episodes devoted to some of the most awkward, cringey, pointless and badly written romantic subplots I've ever seen, all of which revolved around a protagonist with all the character of a blank wall.

On a more positive note, I've seen the first couple episodes of Castlevania which was really good fun. It's excessively violent and gruesome, which I shamelessly enjoy. Haven't seen enough yet to properly judge, but I like the main character so far and I'm hoping for more demon action to come.

Got ninja'ed, will post unedited

Offline 0rph3u5

a protagonist with all the character of a blank wall.

Blank Walls are good for other characters to project on ... but then blank walls don't have guilt issues....

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

That penis monster thing was just cringey. I think I remember it doing the "anime rosy cheeks" thing at one point, like it was attracted to the main character whats-his-name, which came off as borderline bestial.

I don't know about you but I filed that under the developing explaination regarding the Gauna and their "interest" in humanity ... since Season 1 the show has shown that there is more going on that just "space monsters" with the Gauna:
- The first real Gauna encountered takes an human-like shape.
- The Crimson Hawk Moth-type Gauna become more human-looking with each encounter, discarding the orignal Garde-like form, but retain the "pilot-clone-adpendage".
- The first Gauna to have reached Earth were said to be vaguely human-shaped.
- The last non-squid, non-Hawk Moth Gauna we see is also vaguely human-looking.
- The detached "pilot-clone-adpendage" seems to undergo cognitive development including seeming accessing memories from the human original. We never got to see the end of the development.

As such Tsugmori's "attachment" to Nagate might actually be a result of her parentage - which would be an interesting contrast to the running plot-point regarding the leadership of Sidonia sitting on a mountain of secrets and revised history; as in the Gauna having some kind of collective, quasi-genetic memory which allows them to share information but not withhold it from another, while the human method of communicating information, even vital stuff, from one generation to the next is inherently compromised by the elder generation's intentions (which became esspecially interesting when the immortal leadership on Sidonia changed via coup).

==================

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I've been going hard on Symphogear as of late and goddamn if saving the world repeatedly through the power of lesbians holding hands isn't compelling. It's also got a lot of good music (as one would expect from its premise) and I've been impressed by the animation in the first 3 seasons (hey it's amazing what happens when you give your staff some goddamn time to work on things. It also has some pretty good anime hair (not Shiki or Utena levels but still over the top and stylish).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is Gate any good?  Synopsis reads a bit like that epic Hell war story that did the Internet rounds about 12 years back.

The one where modern and forces take the war to Satan after a helll gate opens and all dead veterans from now back to way back when break free and help out.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Is Gate any good?  Synopsis reads a bit like that epic Hell war story that did the Internet rounds about 12 years back.

The one where modern and forces take the war to Satan after a helll gate opens and all dead veterans from now back to way back when break free and help out.

"JSDF, **** yeah!
Comin' again to save the mother****in' day, yeah!" (minus the self awareness)

The first couple episodes showed some promise but then it just languishes in a little puddle of shallowness.  A rough synopsis is Roman/Medieval Legions getting repeatedly curb stomped by modern combined arms, emphasis on repeatedly because the villains are ****ing comically inept and never take any steps to adapt to what they are facing.  Given the fantasy setting the writer(s) could have created some actual tension by leveraging magic or other supernatural crap to create asymmetric parity between the forces but nope.   It maybe worth looking up a couple of the early battles on You Tube for a little army porn but overall gets to be about as dynamic as a BJJ Blackbelt submitting a toddler.

Plus the MC needs to be a spec ops otaku harem magnet because anime.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

In a word; No.

I've been going hard on Symphogear as of late and goddamn if saving the world repeatedly through the power of lesbians holding hands isn't compelling. It's also got a lot of good music (as one would expect from its premise) and I've been impressed by the animation in the first 3 seasons (hey it's amazing what happens when you give your staff some goddamn time to work on things. It also has some pretty good anime hair (not Shiki or Utena levels but still over the top and stylish).
Eyy, Symphogear is my jam, baby! S3 doesn't quite hold up as well as the first two but S4 steps it back up. It's a shame, Symphogear gets so little attention, escpecially in the west basically no one has ever even heard of it. You should check out the live shows too if you like the songs.

Offline Luis Dias

In a word; No.

Such an interesting concept, so many possibilities, and such waste.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Eyy, Symphogear is my jam, baby! S3 doesn't quite hold up as well as the first two but S4 steps it back up. It's a shame, Symphogear gets so little attention, escpecially in the west basically no one has ever even heard of it. You should check out the live shows too if you like the songs.

Yeah S3 is more of a plateau so far (though Chris and Tsubasa coming back halfway through was ****ing hype). Maybe I just follow too many weebs on twitter because a bunch of them like the show. Thanks for the rec on the live stuff too!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Wasn't Star Wars Resistance supposed to be the worst thing ever?
Because it's actually quite nice and I love the setting, it's sorta like Deep Space Nine but seen from a clueless naive version of Garak rather than from the station commander PoV.

Also new Doctor Who, but the new titles and stories are a deliberate throwback in many regards, even more than some things Moffat did. Episode 3 felt like an old Hartnell episode, it had shades of The Time Meddler.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Yeah S3 is more of a plateau so far (though Chris and Tsubasa coming back halfway through was ****ing hype). Maybe I just follow too many weebs on twitter because a bunch of them like the show. Thanks for the rec on the live stuff too!
I really liked the first two seasons of Symphogear but season 3 (GX) was kind of terrible imo. The show was starting to feel like it was trying too hard to adherd to its own established formula. Every character needed to have their own little drama arc, even dredging up issues that had seemingly already had their closure in previous seasons. It felt incredibly forced and it really dragged the show down hard for me. I actually completely missed there was a fourth season, but I'm kind of wary of watching it.

Is S4 more of the same or is it actually good?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knights of Sidonia stands out to me as something that had so much potential and managed to somehow pull mediocrity from the jaws of greatness. The transhuman elements, such as genderless people and photosynthesis, was something that should have been explored so much further. Instead we got entire episodes devoted to some of the most awkward, cringey, pointless and badly written romantic subplots I've ever seen, all of which revolved around a protagonist with all the character of a blank wall.

If nothing else, Sidonia is a good representation of the source material.

If you want to see a good film based on Tsutomo Nihei's stuff, check out Blame! on Netflix.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yawn. Wake me when somebody adapts Biomega.

I finished Season 2 of Castlevania. It's been an interesting season, although I'm sort of conflicted about it. Whereas Castlevania S1 was basically just kinda Castlevania 3. This season focuses less on Trevor and this really surprised. The cast of Curse of Darkness. And Dracula and Camilla I guess.

It's interesting how they integrated the Curse of Darkness plot into the story. And I'm interested to see where that goes. Although, I feel like Season 2 didn't really do a good job at making Alucard an interesting character since he barely got any in his appearance at the end of S1. Although his interactions with Trevor are... mostly gold.

Spoiler:
Dracula got some really nice characterization, since you focus on his side of the conflict more than the Heroes like the first Season.

So far the new characters like Isaac (based on a CoD character) who is probably my favorite character so far. Who fights with a frickin Flaggelants whip! They really got down his twisted backstory and ethos really that sells a guy who just wants "Peace and Quiet". His friendship with Hector was also endearing. In a "D'awww" sort of way. Well when they are trying to exterminate Humanity I guess...

I want to see how Season 3 turns out. I wonder if they're going to start doing generation skipping to do stuff like Simon or Soma. But I think Season 3 is probably going to be more Curse of Darkness content.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I didn't enjoy blame.   Something about it was just a non-starter.  It just felt bland and cliché.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline 0rph3u5

Just finished Durarara!! (2010)... It popped into my recommended quene on Netflix a year ago and back then I only watched a couple of episodes.

Originally I didn't keep watching because it uses a quasi-anthology format for much of its narrative, and as that approach goes, if you are just casually watching you might just not find the way information is presented all that satisfying (in this case for example, the first episode goes through a rapid succession of character introductions most of which are just too fast to be substantive; however as the series progresses most of the characters introduced get to either be the narrator or POV, so you get all details then).

While I wouldn't super recommend it for casual viewing, I took some lessons from it that will hopefully improve my writing.

==================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Managed to binge through castlvania season 2 on Netflix.   

Dracula is absolutely nails..... unless you show him some teddy bears.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.