Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 146714 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
my font's all messed up. i can't read anything. like the text is just blurred.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 mu
should the main server fail, use the tracker. that way we can keep games going even if the servers on the fritz.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Sweet! Now I have a good reason to brush the dust off of my Descent 2 cd.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Oh noes! server crashing again!

Great time when evreyone was on though!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
crap, guess I just missed all the action. I'll check it periodically and join in if it comes back up.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
It's back up now.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think we had four people at one point today but the server apparently couldn't handle that and was going crazy until one person left. Which is a pity, as I was looking forward to a CTF or Entropy 2v2 game. Maybe we can try having someone else host next time.

I'm a moron for asking this at this point, but which of you were Nick and Default? I never managed to guess while we were playing. :p
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 01:13:38 am by CP5670 »

Offline wolfdog

I think we had four people at one point today but the server apparently couldn't handle that and was going crazy until one person left. Which is a pity, as I was looking forward to a CTF or Entropy 2v2 game. Maybe we can try having someone else host next time.

I'm a moron for asking this at this point, but which of you were Nick and Default? I never managed to guess while we were playing. :p

we had 6 earlier on the evening and it was doing just fine....

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It seemed to be having this problem where some players suddenly couldn't move at all every now and then and were getting randomly disconnected until Default (whoever that was) was dropped for good. Although it was very smooth later on with only two players.

I'll try to get on somewhat earlier today; maybe I can catch some more of you on there.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Yeah, there is some major bugginess.

It seems to all stem from the countdown not beginning for some peole when the reactor blows.
actualy, mabye not.

Offline watsisname

Yeah, I was Nick.  It was some great action last night when we had 3 active players. Hope to get some more action later today.   :D

Oh, and if anyone has trouble with font being messed up ingame, I find that pressing F1 and escape fixes it.  If that fails, press F2 and change resolution.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
should the main server fail, use the tracker. that way we can keep games going even if the servers on the fritz.

Good call. It tends to crash every now and then, and I'm not always there to re-initialize, so a backup server is a good idea.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I was Nick.  It was some great action last night when we had 3 active players. Hope to get some more action later today. :D

Ah, I see. :D I'll get on again tonight; should be fun.

It seems to all stem from the countdown not beginning for some peole when the reactor blows.

It looks like there is a server option to disable the reactor altogether. It might be worth trying that and imposing a time limit on the game instead (15 or 20 minutes maybe), so everyone switches maps at the same time.

Offline watsisname

I'll try hosting a game tonight and will post the IP and port later.  I'm guessing I'll start up the game around 10 or 11pm (EST)

...hopefully I can figure out how to do it correctly; I'm completely new to this sort of stuff.  :sigh:

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
v1.5.122 up have a new built-in tracker provided by KoolBear from the DescentBB, so playing UDP via tracker is an option again. ;)

Offline watsisname

Ok, I am going to start up a udp/ip game now, hopefully I do it correctly...
IP is 192.168.0.101, port 28342.

If by 10pm Eastern Time nobody is able to join or find the game, please let me know here and maybe we can work it out.  Like I said I'm only guessing as to what to do.  :nervous:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I guess it's a bit late now, but I couldn't find anything with that address or on the tracker. Anyone still up for a game?

Offline watsisname

I'll try again right now.  I'll leave it going until 1:30am, at which point I'll give up if nobody comes.

Edit:  I do have a question about how to setup a udp/ip game:  I've set it for up to 8 players, and when I go to the screen where it says "select players" or something like that, and there are 8 boxes with me being X'ed in the first box.  It seems impossible to check any of the boxes, and if I just press enter it says something like "Warning: You must have at least 2 people for a netgame" and it starts the game with just myself.  Am I doing something wrong, or does this not matter and others will join when they come?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 11:29:18 pm by watsisname »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Hmm, i cant connect
actualy, mabye not.

Offline watsisname

Whoohoo!  Got it to work!  :) :D :)   
We had another good night of playing, hopefully more are to come.

Oh yeah, I wish to thank the folks who set this up, Ulala for running the game so much so that others can enjoy playing it, and the others for playing so that I could finally get to play with real Descent fans.  Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 01:46:55 am by watsisname »