Author Topic: Remember RakNet? Enter SLikeNet.  (Read 2064 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Remember RakNet? Enter SLikeNet.
So, at one point there was talk about RakNet potentially being a candidate if someone ever wanted to completely gut and replace the in-game multiplayer code.  Then they were acquired by Occulus, who open-sourced it but the project hasn't had a commit since 2015.  Out of curiosity I checked for fork activity, and found SLikeNet, which has had very recent activity (GitHub).  Still not sure if it would be useful to us ever, but can probably replace any discussion of RakNet with this library going forward.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

Re: Remember RakNet? Enter SLikeNet.
Valve has just released their cross-platform socket library which provides some useful features: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets
I'm not sure if it is useful for our purposes since it doesn't provide anything more than we currently have but maybe it's better than the existing code.