13 (14.8%)
Freaked out and died...
21 (23.9%)
I don't remember ...
6 (6.8%)
Reacted too late and tried to dive ...
4 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Diving  (Read 14795 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I hit full burners and went straight ahead. I almost got through the Sathanas before I died, too.
-C

I managed to type in the invulnerability code before I was hit

:lol: That's some fast typing.
Yes indeed.

I've had a lot of practice.... I can go up to 400 WPM (at least in my own estimation)
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I spilt hot coffee in my lap and swore profusely, then died!  :lol:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Tantalus53

• That one guy with the thing
    • Steam
I dived, but got hit anyways...

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
The first time i listened and dived

the second time i had my headphones way too loud and it scared the living **** out of me sooooo...

Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

I dived and survived!  :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
the poll is missing:   Eeacted to late but still tried. Without success.    :lol:

One of the best moments in Freespace2. However, I made it after the first death.

Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Fixed. Well. At least you tried. :lol:
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I hit full burners and went straight ahead. I almost got through the Sathanas before I died, too.

:wtf:

I spilt hot coffee in my lap and swore profusely, then died!  :lol:

I dived, but got hit anyways...

Did you hit the afterburner?

I dived and survived!  :)

:D

I have never been hit by that Sathanas before. Even on my first try, I dove and hit my burners.

Another way is to turn left or right and afterburn in that direction. I've tried it before and lived, so I know it works.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
He means that it almost jumped fully out before he died.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I kept trying to pull up, because it looked like it would work better...and forgot that the Sathanas flares out on the rear end...

Ditto.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
He freaked me the **** out (in that "WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" kind of way), I froze up, and the cap hit me and killed me.

In my defense, I was 13 years old.

I'll remember that moment for the rest of my life though.

Now that's something a good level designer does.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think the reason why I'm able to survive everytime is because I used VPVIEW32 and visited YouTube and Interplay before I actually got to that mission, so I knew what was coming.

Quote from: Singapore's Total Defence Slogan
Readiness is your only protection.

When I first heard Snipes scream, I thought he was telling some Shivans to die. :wtf:

If I didn't use VPVIEW32 and visit YouTube and Interplay, I think I would probably end up like BlackDove on my first attempt.

By the way, BlackDove, you said your screen name is inspired by Snipes. Is this the event that inspired you to choose this screen name?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:12:04 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There is another outcome.  Run over and survived.  Granted that doesn't happen too often or if it happens at all in single.

Occasionally I'll get swatted by the Sath, and will end up ridiculously far away with 1-5% health left.

Yup.  My first time, I saw the Sathy incoming and automatically pulled up, not processing Snipes' command until it was too late.  IIRC next time I couldn't dive correctly and died, so I tried pulling up and got left with like 1% hull, so I retried the mission.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
There is another outcome.  Run over and survived.  Granted that doesn't happen too often or if it happens at all in single.

Occasionally I'll get swatted by the Sath, and will end up ridiculously far away with 1-5% health left.

Yup.  My first time, I saw the Sathy incoming and automatically pulled up, not processing Snipes' command until it was too late.  IIRC next time I couldn't dive correctly and died, so I tried pulling up and got left with like 1% hull, so I retried the mission.

There's a Discovery Channel program called "I Shouldn't Be Alive"... :nervous:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death

Somthing happened in that mission where you take out Sath#1's beam turrets. I had just managed to take out the 4 beam turrets and the Flack cannons WITHOUT CHEATS when the bloody ship jumped out and threw me 6-7 km from the node with 30+% hull. Failed the mission because the Beleth survived. First time. Second time the rest of mission was self-playing.

And this was on medium difficulty.

Never happend to me in the Dive! dive! Dive! incident though. I usually do dive.

First time i pulled up and got smaked in the face by those flares at the back for my troubles
 on a couple of occasions ive gone in random directions and survived 
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
There's a Discovery Channel program called "I Shouldn't Be Alive"... :nervous:
Today's episode:

4 pilots enter hostile territory on a dangerous mission. Upon entering the system, they are greeted by a Juggernaught hurtling to them at high rate of speed. Snipes, the most experienced of them, immediately calls for them to dive.

Snipes: "DIVE, DIVE, DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOTS!"

However, one of them, Alpha One, pulls up instead, forgetting that the Juggernaught flares out at the end. By the time he realises it, its too late. The Juggernaught hits his fighter at over 40ms,  sending him flying.  Incredibly, he's still alive, but just barely. Alpha One limps his fighter over to his wing, fighting to keep his systems alive. Unfortunately, he has no way of leaving the system until his jump drives reactivates ...

Because the objectives of the mission were top secret, we have no way of knowing what else transpired in the system. But incredibly, Alpha One returns home, bruised and battered, but still triumphant. We were unable to interview the famed Alpha One, but rumors circulating him range are numerous:

Jack Niven: "~+I. I'm telling you that's what he did. How else could he survive our exe-- Uh. The NTF ambush on him?"
Alpha 2: "He survived because he can live with being a pawn because the game makes sense to him!"
Fred: "He probably had ship-guardian."
Snipes: "What, do I look like Alpha One to you?"

However, the most popular, and heavily reinforced rumor, is this one, put forth by an unnamed source from within the GTVA:

Danmmoc: "No one can recoginze me, right? Since my name is spelled backwards? Okay.... You wanna know why he survived? Its simple.            Because. Simply because he's Alpha One. That makes you automatically immortal."

And there you have it. The numerous reasons why Alpha One survived. We may never really know ourselves, but I'm sure Alpha One is saying to himself, "I shouldn't be alive."
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
i tried Diving without using the afterburners.....was scraping at the bottom of the santh...survived w/ 30% hull left...didn't survive the mission due to it being at the max difficulty.
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
By the way, BlackDove, you said your screen name is inspired by Snipes. Is this the event that inspired you to choose this screen name?

'Black Dove' is Snipes' codename in the encrypted message in the Command Briefing in 'As Lightning Fall'.

Although that doesn't fully answer the question for you  :p. Only BlackDove himself can answer it truly!  :lol: