Author Topic: WIP HTL Hecate  (Read 24273 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I've been working on this...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/sb38R2/Hecate1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/sb38R2/Hecate2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/sb38R2/Hecate3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/sb38R2/Hecate4.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/sb38R2/Hecate5.jpg

What do you think?? Some of those "window" structures are supposed to be LODable subobjects. THe main hull is at 6000 polys, make it about 7000 with the subobjects it already has (I will add some more)

Feedback is always nice :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Amasing work man, some high res textures and it will be stunning ingame.
--------------------------

Sig

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
My problem is, I cant' draw textures... I'd like it to have a single texture, opposed to a lot of tile textures. If someone would be kind enough to help me with that would be nice...
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The only thing I can suggest (besides working on the smoothing) is to add some structure around the main beam turrets.  They are huge on the front on the original model, and making them not look like buttons sewn on to the front might make it a little better.

Excellent work though!
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
I don't think I will smooth it much more... the Hecate is still a terran ship no matter what, and I want to keep it with a decent polycount (no 10k poly main hulls for me, sorry :( )

I know someone was working on a HTL Hecate, but later dumped it, I would like to take a look at it, for some inspiration. Does anyone know where I can find it??

Raven is a god.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Originally posted by Raven2001
I don't think I will smooth it much more... the Hecate is still a terran ship no matter what, and I want to keep it with a decent polycount (no 10k poly main hulls for me, sorry :( )

I know someone was working on a HTL Hecate, but later dumped it, I would like to take a look at it, for some inspiration. Does anyone know where I can find it??

Grim was working on one, but never dumped it.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]That's pretty damn great Raven. :nod:

Three thumbs up.
[/color]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think he lost it once, and hasn't had time to work on it much recently.   I say keep on this one though and whichever one is first and/or better will be the one that is used.

I don't mean oversmooth it, but right now I'm sure you can see the massive smoothing errors all over.  Truespace has always been somewhat crap in this regard (and I assume you are still using truespace) so maybe that's the problem.  Anyway, I couldn't agree more that this needs hard lines.  It just also needs care to ensure that those smoothing errors don't make it into the finished model.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Originally posted by WeatherOp

Grim was working on one, but never dumped it.

Where can I look at it??

Raven is a god.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Originally posted by StratComm

I don't mean oversmooth it, but right now I'm sure you can see the massive smoothing errors all over.  Truespace has always been somewhat crap in this regard (and I assume you are still using truespace) so maybe that's the problem.  Anyway, I couldn't agree more that this needs hard lines.  It just also needs care to ensure that those smoothing errors don't make it into the finished model.

I never used TS for the modeling... I still use blender (hope to be proficient in Max by next year though...)

I rendered it in 3d Exploration, that's why some parts of the smoothing look like crap :P

Raven is a god.

One big 2048x2048 texture should do fine.
--------------------------

Sig

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
I think it's too smooth, to be honest. It needs to have more straight lines, particularly around the "head" and on the back where the two conning tower things are.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Neat :) I think the smoothing is good, after all, the Hecate does reflect the blendingof Terran and Vasudan design ethos, does it not?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Yeah, however Vas design is curvy not spherical/circular.
The shapes are too concave IMHO - it looks too 60'-ish.

It's a good start.

About the poly limit - check out what Omni did with the Deathstar - superdetail boxes allow that kind of massive LODing and massive detail.
It would be awsome to see a capship take advantage of this mind blowing feature.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
The Hecate itself is concave originaly, so I don't want to break it into something different.

Check the links again. I've updated the pics. I've only done some minor geometry corrections, and added the main turrets (just for showing off...)

Raven is a god.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Originally posted by Flaser

About the poly limit - check out what Omni did with the Deathstar - superdetail boxes allow that kind of massive LODing and massive detail.
It would be awsome to see a capship take advantage of this mind blowing feature.

Yeah, but how can I do it?? I have some of those details in separate objects, and LODed already, what must I do in the conversion process??

EDIT: I just thought of something: what do you think of adding a space int the model for a nameplate??? If yes, where would you like it??
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 12:10:22 pm by 206 »

Raven is a god.

Offline Roanoke

I just thought of something: what do you think of adding a space int the model for a nameplate??? If yes, where would you like it??

On the engine pod, above the "wing"

Originally posted by StratComm
I don't mean oversmooth it, but right now I'm sure you can see the massive smoothing errors all over

That was my first thought

Very nice
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Kie99

Well that just blew Grimloq's Hecate right out of the water.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"