Author Topic: fs-1 interface  (Read 4143 times)

Offline boewolf

Does anyone out there have any idea how i could get the old freespace 1 interface skreens working in freespace 2.  especialy the skreens for the ship and weapons loadout??, and if it can be done how do i make the ship and weapon skreens for the freespace 2 ships and weapons??

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
if it's the interface art you want i can send it to you from the FS1 CD, otherwise sorry i know not what you're talking about :( :(

Offline boewolf

I have the interface art.  but i don't know how to interface it with freespace 2.  and i don't know how to make the same ani files for the fs2 fighters and weapons.  if u know how to do that could u please help me

Offline Towani

You would need to override the files in the Freespace 2 .vp's with your own.

Do you have a .vp viewer program? The best one I know of is at:
http://www.descent-network.com/

Use the .vp viewer to find the interface files, of which there are many. By placing a file of your own in the same subdirectory in your '/data' folder, with a matching name to the file you want to override, the game will load your file in instead.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
if you have trouble finding the right one on Descent Network, then get this one:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/stealth/downloads.html

go to "Tools", "VPVIEW32"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 08:19:12 pm by 594 »

Offline boewolf

I will have a go.  i will tell everyone here if u can get the old interfaces working right.  thanks for your help.

Offline boewolf

I am having troble isolating the ship and weapon loadout files in the freespace 1 VP files.  does anyone know which ones they are??  I can find all the ones that relate to the ships and weapons themselvs but not the ones that are the backdrops or the buttons.

Offline Towani

Quite a few of the interface images in the loadout and briefing area are probably shared with other parts of the user interface. So it looks like it's a situation of either replace the whole lot or have an odd combination of the two interfaces.

TSB_00.ani - TSB_34.ani in the 'interface' folder look like a few briefing only pieces.

'.ani' files should hopefully be a rename to match the FS2 equivalent for simple overriding.

You may find a .vp builder program useful, such as the VP Constructor Suite programmed by Derek 'Kazan' Meek. But I can't remember where I got it from and there are no URL's in its documentation. Anyone got an URL to download it?

Offline boewolf

Ok.  i have found all but two of the files i am looking for, and most of them are named the same.  but i can't find the equivilant for the files named shiploadout.pcx or weaponloadout.pcx.  does anyone out there have these files on hand from freespace 1??

Offline Towani

I can't find any file named 'shiploadout.pcx.

I found weaponloadout in FS2, but there is only the image mask equivalent in FS1. Looking at the files it appears that the weapon loadout interface for FS1 is made from several other files. For example, 'WLB_27.ani' may well mean 'WeaponLoadoutBottom', being the down arrow selection for scrolling through available weapon types.

Looks like there will be a fair bit of work involved to construct an equivalent for overriding the FS2 weaponloadout.pcx file.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Try asking at the TVWP, I believe they did some work on getting the FS1 interface into FS2.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Try asking at the TVWP, I believe they did some work on getting the FS1 interface into FS2.

Yeah but they don't have all of the FS weapons art stuff yet I only got the first two betas. I too would like the weapons/ship interface art for them That way I can use the Tech data stuff and read!:nod: ;7
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

We have the mainhall, but we're having some problems getting other things in. Seeing as the buttons and stuff don't match up.

Offline boewolf

Just a question to anyone that reads this.  Do you think that the game would have sold better if they kept the origional interface art look from fs1 in fs2.

I was quite dissapointed when it didn't have the same visual effect or something just as good.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
The game would have sold better if it was actually marketed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 05:57:09 pm by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Yeah, Interplay seems to have killed Descent and FreeSpace and is now making sure no one brings them back to life. I've always wondered why.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline boewolf

I think that they were just lazy and didn't want to continue a good thing.  If that is so why didn't they just sell the rights to some other company??